Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 10:39 AM

Default Lowarance/ Motorguide Gateway

Looking at installing the Gateway system on my boat this spring. Just wanting to get any feedback on it from those that have installed it. IE ease of installation, set up on the Lowarance and overall effectiveness on the water. I know it’s a bit early but thinking ahead. Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2018, 12:20 PM

I've got the Gateway and I love it. Worth every penny.

It's very easy to install. You need a NMEA2000 network. You'll need a starter kit that has the power connections, a long cable, and possibly a couple of T connectors. The rest of what you need should be included with either the starter kit or the Gateway kit. The guys at The Fishing Hole will be able to make sure you get everything you need to get setup. You'll need to connect the NMEA2000 network to power, and run a cable to any sonar units you want connected and to the Xi5. The biggest challenge will be running the NMEA2000 cable from your sonar unit to the trolling motor. Depending on your boat and access, that can take 5 mins or be real pain lol.

The setup on your Lowrance unit is very simple. Be sure your sonar units are running the latest software to start. Then follow the instructions with the Gateway kit to get it all setup, it's pretty straightforward. Customizing the settings on your Lowrance to have it displayed the way you want it is covered in the owner's manuals.

The two biggest advantages of the Gateway are being able to see the trolling motor info right on your sonar screen - speed, heading, power level, etc..., and the #1 invaluable feature for me is the ability to "Go To" any waypoint or your cursor and spot lock on it, just by touching it on your screen. The other features like following a route, custom trolling patterns, and control from your sonar unit are nice, but the first two really make it worthwhile in my opinion.

It's a great upgrade, you'll be glad you did it.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I've got the Gateway and I love it. Worth every penny.

It's very easy to install. You need a NMEA2000 network. You'll need a starter kit that has the power connections, a long cable, and possibly a couple of T connectors. The rest of what you need should be included with either the starter kit or the Gateway kit. The guys at The Fishing Hole will be able to make sure you get everything you need to get setup. You'll need to connect the NMEA2000 network to power, and run a cable to any sonar units you want connected and to the Xi5. The biggest challenge will be running the NMEA2000 cable from your sonar unit to the trolling motor. Depending on your boat and access, that can take 5 mins or be real pain lol.

The setup on your Lowrance unit is very simple. Be sure your sonar units are running the latest software to start. Then follow the instructions with the Gateway kit to get it all setup, it's pretty straightforward. Customizing the settings on your Lowrance to have it displayed the way you want it is covered in the owner's manuals.

The two biggest advantages of the Gateway are being able to see the trolling motor info right on your sonar screen - speed, heading, power level, etc..., and the #1 invaluable feature for me is the ability to "Go To" any waypoint or your cursor and spot lock on it, just by touching it on your screen. The other features like following a route, custom trolling patterns, and control from your sonar unit are nice, but the first two really make it worthwhile in my opinion.

It's a great upgrade, you'll be glad you did it.
What he said.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:08 AM
Banned

Bass Pro has a special running from March 2-7 if you buy a Lowrance or Motorguide (in store purchase only) you get free installation(if installed before May 31/18) and depending on the units you buy you get a rewards card. Spend $1000 get a $100 reward card. Plus motorguide is running a rebate (US funds) for units purchased before July 2018. Varies from $25 to $100 depending on the unit.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:30 AM

Thanks guys