Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-25-2014, 06:29 PM

Default 20ga semi?

Anyone seen a 20ga semi for sale in the edm area? Would really like to shoulder a few. Looking for something mid price range. Benelli beretta franchi? Might be too expensive still. Seems prices have gone up significantly in the last 4 years.

Looking to get into waterfowl. Anything to stay away from?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:55 PM

if your getting into waterfowl, you may want to consider a 12ga, you can get away shooting light loads in 2 3/4" or 3" if need be for geese. IMO best price point for quality and fit for under $900 is the Beretta A300 outlander. wood or max 4 camo, which ever you prefer. over $1200 some other options so guess it just depends your price point
Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 PM

Dont rule out the Weatherby SA-08! Priced amazing, and the ones ive shot have been amazing. Ive got the pump actions PA-08 and PA-459TR, and their semis have me very seriously considering a change... Just my 2 cents, happy shopping! Cheers!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 PM

Second the notion of the 12 gauge, I shoot tons of ducks with #4 2 3/4 shot. I've even reached out to 50-60 yards out of the canoe and drop them. My dad has a pump 20 an it's a good shooting gun but I wouldn't consider it hunting, maybe upland game but not water fowl.

I like shooting my 16 gauge, have you considered one of those, be hard to find one in semi auto though. Good luck with the hunt for that shotgun.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
if your getting into waterfowl, you may want to consider a 12ga, you can get away shooting light loads in 2 3/4" or 3" if need be for geese. IMO best price point for quality and fit for under $900 is the Beretta A300 outlander. wood or max 4 camo, which ever you prefer. over $1200 some other options so guess it just depends your price point
You're 100% right. Part of my justification for buying a decent gun (possibly in 20ga) as this may be the first one to get passed down to my son. Currently Have a pump action 20ga bantam mossberg for bear/camp/grouse that I've enjoyed for several years but want something longer lasting. Something less ugly to keep in the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchman View Post
Dont rule out the Weatherby SA-08! Priced amazing, and the ones ive shot have been amazing. Ive got the pump actions PA-08 and PA-459TR, and their semis have me very seriously considering a change... Just my 2 cents, happy shopping! Cheers!
The SA-08 was one I was curious about experience with. Could afford the gun and ammo for the year that way!
How are they for cleaning?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Second the notion of the 12 gauge, I shoot tons of ducks with #4 2 3/4 shot. I've even reached out to 50-60 yards out of the canoe and drop them. My dad has a pump 20 an it's a good shooting gun but I wouldn't consider it hunting, maybe upland game but not water fowl.

I like shooting my 16 gauge, have you considered one of those, be hard to find one in semi auto though. Good luck with the hunt for that shotgun.
Haha I thought I was being difficult already trying for a 20, let alone looking for a 16. Don't have anything against 12s. Would make it much easier actually as everyone would be using the same shells. Bulk purchasing etc.

Have a soft spot for yellow I guess
Old 07-25-2014, 08:38 PM

That's true as well, I've gone out skeet shooting with friends. Usually every ounce in a while a new person to guns will come out and it's scary me having my 12's and my 16 gauge out. I watch it like a hawk and have caught someone putting 16 into my 12. I try to keep it at 2 different gauges at a time, I wouldn't be able to shoot if I had my dads 20 out at the same time. So you might consider another 20 gauge due to your arsenal. But if you did that you might be the odd man out when you go out hunting etc.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 PM

The Winchester SX3 is a very dependable shotgun , for a good price. You can usually find one for under $1000.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:45 PM

Don't worry about being the odd man out....

If you are decoying birds, h2o or land, you will be fine with a 20g for all waterfowl. If you are mainly pass shooting and reaching out to them, you will have less success.

I've been using a benelli M2 in 20g for last 5 seasons. Pattern your gun and find the right choke for your hunting situation.

Don't listen to anybody that says you need 12 g and 3.5 " shells to hunt waterfowl.

Probably have a hard time finding used Benelli, have seen used browning and beretta in 20 g a few times. Wouldn't hurt to post 20 g Wanted ad in classifieds. You just might convince someone to part with one.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
Anyone seen a 20ga semi for sale in the edm area? Would really like to shoulder a few. Looking for something mid price range. Benelli beretta franchi? Might be too expensive still. Seems prices have gone up significantly in the last 4 years.

Looking to get into waterfowl. Anything to stay away from?

Thanks!
If price is a consideration, you would likley be better off looking for a 12, there are a lot more of them around.
However, if you want to ,I don't see an issue ( never have) using a 20 for geese and ducks.
I started put using a franchi Falconet 20 O/U for geese and ducks when I was a youngster and still love using my FAIR O/U 20 for them over decoys!

Cat
Old 07-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Banned

I have a Mossberg SA-20 and love it. Works flawlessly and cheap to buy. Same system as the Weatherby SA-08.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:19 PM

Funny the SA-08 was mentioned. Stopped in WSS on my way through town and looked at one in 20ga. Not winning any beauty contests but I liked it. Fits a little small but nice and light. Would enjoy taking it out for grouse. Definitely could see it being a good hand me down.

I put fingerprints on the franchi affinity and beretta a300 as well. Not singing to me but fit was good.

That benelli Vinci was present but I tried not to like it too much because of the price.

Next weekend I'm getting that SA-08 if nothing else.

It's funny with semi-auto shotguns I expected more horror stories as far as load pickiness and cleaning hassles or service issues. Good to hear.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:34 PM

Default Day 2

Quick report and question.

So I picked up the Weatherby SA-08. Figured the way guns hold their price I can use this for 2 years and move to a montefeltro silver in 2 years if I enjoy it and get out enough. Dipping a toe sort a speak.

Got home and wiped it down some, and put it together. Chose the heavy gas cylinder as it had the greater range of ammunition it would've suitable for. In the manual it states from 7/8 - 1-5/16 so figured it should be fine for 1oz.

Hit the range and put up some old maps that are about 32"x42" square. And fired the first shells. All of them failed to eject. Thought after the first failure and inspection it was lack of lube and break in pains. Took 1 shot at the paper with the modified choke and it was picture perfect. Maybe a little high but u could squeeze a tennis ball between the pellet holes on the whole paper. But 3 shells later I had one spent in the barrel and one out of the tube and 1 in the tube. It hit me of course the "heavy" gas cylinder was to blame and I should have known immediately. Spent the night (2hrs) removing the shells, can't stress how difficult this was. Breaking it down. Cleaning. Changing gas cylinders and reassembling.

So this morning I feel confident enough to change the stock shim to give it a little more raise and change to a full choke, as the plan is to try at the 50yard mark as a test for waterfowl as an option. That all went extremely smooth and now that I understand how the gun goes together I immediately like it more. But still unsure how it will cycle. So hit the range. 2 papers. 1 at 25yards and one at 50yards. 4 shots cycled perfect! Gun fit better than the day before and very happy.

I attached (hopefully) a photo of my 50yard paper with the holes highlighted with a marker. Used 2 3/4" 1oz #5 only because it was what I had around.

So I'm wondering if the spread shown at 50yards is a good indication of anything? Either Positive or negative

2nd what shell should I experiment with and at what range to pattern for let's say ducks?

Lastly I forget where I heard this (could of been here)but I remember reading that the main difference between using a 12 or 20ga would be in the amount of pellets your lobbing at your target. The energy of each pellet will be the same at 40yards with a 20 or 12ga just less of them will be hitting your target. Is this true?

Thanks for all the advice folks!

Photo may not work as this May be the first one I've posted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Forest Techer; 08-03-2014 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Ignore the far left fold on the photo it was folded so those are doubled.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:

So I picked up the Weatherby SA-08. Figured the way guns hold their price I can use this for 2 years and move to a montefeltro silver in 2 years if I enjoy it and get out enough. Dipping a toe sort a speak.

Got home and wiped it down some, and put it together. Chose the heavy gas cylinder as it had the greater range of ammunition it would've suitable for. In the manual it states from 7/8 - 1-5/16 so figured it should be fine for 1oz.

Hit the range and put up some old maps that are about 32"x42" square. And fired the first shells. All of them failed to eject. Thought after the first failure and inspection it was lack of lube and break in pains. Took 1 shot at the paper with the modified choke and it was picture perfect. Maybe a little high but u could squeeze a tennis ball between the pellet holes on the whole paper. But 3 shells later I had one spent in the barrel and one out of the tube and 1 in the tube. It hit me of course the "heavy" gas cylinder was to blame and I should have known immediately. Spent the night (2hrs) removing the shells, can't stress how difficult this was. Breaking it down. Cleaning. Changing gas cylinders and reassembling.

So this morning I feel confident enough to change the stock shim to give it a little more raise and change to a full choke, as the plan is to try at the 50yard mark as a test for waterfowl as an option. That all went extremely smooth and now that I understand how the gun goes together I immediately like it more. But still unsure how it will cycle. So hit the range. 2 papers. 1 at 25yards and one at 50yards. 4 shots cycled perfect! Gun fit better than the day before and very happy.

I attached (hopefully) a photo of my 50yard paper with the holes highlighted with a marker. Used 2 3/4" 1oz #5 only because it was what I had around.

So I'm wondering if the spread shown at 50yards is a good indication of anything? Either Positive or negative

2nd what shell should I experiment with and at what range to pattern for let's say ducks?

Lastly I forget where I heard this (could of been here)but I remember reading that the main difference between using a 12 or 20ga would be in the amount of pellets your lobbing at your target. The energy of each pellet will be the same at 40yards with a 20 or 12ga just less of them will be hitting your target. Is this true?

You got it. Once you get used to breaking the gun down it comes apart and goes together very quickly. Light cylinder for anything that's not a waterfowl load and you'll never have a problem with it not cycling. The more you shoot it they more you'll like it. Just wait to get you out and swing at some birds, the gun is so light and points so well it almost isn't fair.

20 gauge has a smaller payload and in most (all?) cases does have less fps.. I shoot Federal shells, 1550fps for #2's in 12 gauge, while only 1425fps (I think) in 20 gauge with #2 shot. Can't say it's the same for every brand, you'd have to look.

As for patterning, it depends on how you hunt. I shoot over water a lot, so I like to have them decoy from 20-35 yards most of the time, so I generally pattern with an IC choke.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:

I assume you are going to use steel shot for waterfowl.
If you are experimenting to pattern for ducks first change the choke back to modified or improved cylinder, and shoot steel loads of shot #2,#3 or #4 at a distance of 35 to 40 yds.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
If you are experimenting to pattern for ducks first change the choke back to modified or improved cylinder, and shoot steel loads of shot #2,#3 or #4 at a distance of 35 to 40 yds.
This is excellent advice!
Open chokes work better for steel, but if you look at a choke that is specialized for steel like the Trulocks or Carlsons,
They may say" full choke steel" but they may in fact be the same construction as a modified lead.
I simply tell people to look at the more open chokes.

And yes, the only difference between s 20 and a 12 can handle huge payloads which I'm turn equals mor recoil.
1,300 FPS with a 1 oz payload is the same in a 20 as a 16 or a 12
Some people like to argue that the bore is smaller on the 20 so the pattern is
Different but for all intent and purpose it makes so little difference that if It's not worth worrying about.
Cat
Old 08-03-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
Excellent point. Of course I'd be using steel for waterfowl, so makes sense to pattern with steel.

Can't wait to get the dog out and start walking with this gun.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:39 PM

I've had very good shooting with Fassteel#2's in 3" and Federal Premium 23/4" #4's in my 20 gauge
Cat
Old 08-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Banned

I picked up a beautiful mint condition Remington 1100 in 20 ga. at the Easter gunshow for a mere $300.00. With a bit of practice, I can hit as many clays with it as I can with my 12 ga. Wingmaster. I cannot attest to it's abilities afield on ducks as for all intends and purposes, this gun will be restricted to pottery.