Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haffordite View Post
I was talking about guns for sale on forums like here or cgn. I was wondering if people actually pay the inflated prices being asked by most sellers
I sure don't. Lots of guys here want 5% over new because of the time the have invested in working up a load.

Some deals to be had. But some guys are bonkers.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haffordite View Post
I was talking about guns for sale on forums like here or cgn. I was wondering if people actually pay the inflated prices being asked by most sellers
I won't pay inflated prices. A used gun is a used gun. If its mint! ( 20 to 40 rounds shoot no dings or damage) 20% off retail. Now if the gun has dings and shows wear etc, the price drops down to 30 or 50%. Its your discretion! Just remember stocks and new barrels are not cheep! Oh don't forget to add gunSmith rate to change out the barrel.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:01 AM

I've bought and sold firearms on this site, each transaction has been great. That said, I've probably had half a dozen offers rejected, and rejected that many myself - all respectfully.

Anyone going into a firearm transaction comparing them to vehicles needs to rethink their approach. A bit of age and a few scratches shouldn't impact the value of a rifle like it does a vehicle. I'm not surprised there's heated discussion on what the proper value of a firearm is, but that's negotiation. I'm happy to let some of my rifles sit in my safe rather than transact at prices I'm not happy with, and I won't hold this against others who feel the same when the shoe is on the other foot.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:27 PM

A gun that's not too old will be worth less than at purchase, as you can buy it new for full price and still have the security of a factory warranty. An older gun may have a greater value than when originally purchased, simply because of the general effect of inflation on comparable current models. And if it's a quite desirable model, or has some kind of uniqueness about it, it also enhances the type of price you can expect from it.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:40 PM
Banned

Bought one today from a fantastic AO member THISBUDS4U,,ngoodvdeal and a great guy
Old 02-29-2016, 10:51 PM

The ads you see with unreasonable prices are the ones that don't move. Any of the better deals are often gone within an hour, sometimes much less. There are enough guys with sufficient disposable income who know what's what to make it very difficult to find a good deal if you just check the forum once a week.

For example, a recent PM discussion on CGN with a guy offering a pre-64 model 70 for a very reasonable price went like this (I'm paraphrasing):

10:00 am- Gun put up for sale.
10:09 am- Me- "Hi, is that a peep sight base mounted on the receiver?"
10:10 am- Seller- "Yes it is."
10:12 am- Me- "Makes an offer"
10:13 am- Seller- "Sorry, it just sold."

Them's the breaks.