Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 AM

Default Jon boat vs vhull

Hey guys. Thinking about getting a smaller 12ft alum boat for the smaller lakes that i cant get my bigger boat into. What are the advantages of the jon boats vs vhulls? Have never been in a jon boat of any sort before. Does one sit shallower than the other? More stable? Wont be on bigger lakes so stability wont really be a huge issue. May use it in smaller creeks to get into lakes without vehicle access. Let me know your thoughts and opinions!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2017, 01:11 PM

Jon boats (flat bottom) are way easier to navigate in water with current.
V hauls are way easier to navigate on lakes (waves).
I wouldn't get a Jon boat unless your primary use is River fishing.

Spruce
Old 07-26-2017, 02:43 PM

You are no doubt going to hear about how dangerous jon boats are compared to v-hulls,,, which isn't true btw,,,, jons do ride rougher which can give the impression of being unsafe ,,, but they are far less tippy from side to side,,, and capsizing is where the real danger lies for any watercraft.

All that said, any 12 foot boat will not be particularly safe in whitecap conditions so sticking to smaller waters is a good plan. In the 12 foot length there really wont be any significant difference in shallow water draft, ease of launching or loading between the two hull designs so those considerations are "even".

If you fish mostly sitting down to cast, and like to troll, the v hull is a probably the better choice as will steer better when being trolled in the wind.

If like to stand while casting either drifting or at anchor, the jon will offer more stability to do so. If you are a flyfisherman, standing up is an advantage for casting. Additionally if like to sight fish the extra 'eye height" gained by standing can help you see into the water better. And if you happen to want to shoot ducks, the jon will give a more stable platform to shoot from.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:50 PM

If you already have a larger stable boat for those larger lakes or conditions where stability really matters, I'd get a jon boat with a jet outboard. You can not only do calmer lakes but also rivers with pretty skinny water. Rowed the Bow last weekend and saw a lot of jon boats with jet engines whipping by me in a foot of water. Could use it for hunting too.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:19 PM

You would be surprised what you can do with a kayak, simple , relatively inexpensive, no motor to break down.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:32 AM

So if you take out rough water stability it seems the jon boat would be nicer to fish out of almost? But not as nice to handle. Ya i have the big boat for the bigger waters just looking for something for the pothole type lakes.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Banned

I have owned jons, mod v's and deep v's. For what you are describing as your needs a Jon will serve you very well. They are lightweight, easy to manhandle for launch and recovery, very stable and best of all usually much more affordably priced than a deep v hull even in a small boat like a 12 ft. As well the layout and design of them with their wide flat floors is much more comfortable for extended periods of fishing. You can even get them with gravity fed livewells built into the middle seat for very few extra $$. And they run quicker with the same hp when compared with a v of the same size.

Last edited by The Spank; 07-27-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:23 PM

I have a 15' Jon boat its very stable for standing and casting smooth riding in small waves not so much in rough water. One feature I like is when you land on shore you can walk out the front end easily.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-27-2017, 06:18 PM

Jon's; Widest btm..is more stable.12'L X40"W X20"Deep would be a min. for me..They are noisier,when light ripple slaps into the bow.More surface area,in contact with the water.They are really not built for speed.If you want speed,i think more hp is required to move a jon,than a v hull.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Jon's; Widest btm..is more stable.12'L X40"W X20"Deep would be a min. for me..They are noisier,when light ripple slaps into the bow.More surface area,in contact with the water.They are really not built for speed.If you want speed,i think more hp is required to move a jon,than a v hull.
No. That flat bottom gets you up planing really fast. Don't take very much hp to get a Jon up on the water.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 PM

I have a marlon 12' welded jon that i run a electric on as well as a 16' explorer with a prodrive and i cant say I've ever found myself wishing i had a v hull.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I have a 15' Jon boat its very stable for standing and casting smooth riding in small waves not so much in rough water. One feature I like is when you land on shore you can walk out the front end easily.

[IMG][/IMG]
Following this thread as I'm looking for a boat for next spring.
What size motor on the 15' Jon? How's the speed? How does it handle weight?
And have you used it in a river. I have some sandy rivers that I like to fish and will spring bear hunt next year I hope
Old 07-28-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Following this thread as I'm looking for a boat for next spring.
What size motor on the 15' Jon? How's the speed? How does it handle weight?
And have you used it in a river. I have some sandy rivers that I like to fish and will spring bear hunt next year I hope
With a 25 hp Yamaha 2 stroke I was able to get 26 MPH with just me in the boat with the 20 hp 4 stroke shown gets 21 MPH. Max capacity is 825 lbs. including the motor, gear and passengers. Its good in shallow water however like any outboard the gear case and prop are sticking out below the hull. It comes in a tunnel version for rivers and sandbars. Model is a MV1546AW

http://alumacraft.com/Alumacraft-Boat.php?id=316
Old 07-28-2017, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
FALSE!! Jons run faster for the same weight/power ratio!! I've been running Jons and Mod V Jons for 25 years. I got rid of my Deep V after one season. Now I'm running a 2017 1654 Tracker Grizzly MVX Sportsman with 40 EFI Merc, best of both worlds for me in stability and ride imo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0147.JPG (143.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0149.JPG (145.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0141.JPG (169.1 KB, 37 views)