Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM

Default Kananaskis River fishing spots

I'm going to take my fly rod and explore the Kananaskis River one day this weekend (likely Saturday). I think I'll likely focus on the upper end of the river. It'd be nice to find some smaller water to feed my addiction until the streams open up. (June seems sooo far away!) I've already searched this forum for info but there's really not much written about the Kananaskis River other than there is fish in it but not a lot of them because the water levels fluctuate so frequently. What I'm wondering is where are some good spots to try? There are many easily accessible spots that anyone can see on a map, but which ones are good for fishing? And are there any spots, that someone is willing to share, that require a bit of a hike to get to? I don't mind walking at all. If nobody replies to this I'll still be out there exploring, but I thought I'd post and see if anyone is willing to share some knowledge. If you don't want to broadcast your reply to the whole forum then feel free to PM me. Also, I wouldn't mind some company, my usual fishing buddy can't make it. Anyone care to join me?
Krush
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM

i would join you on sunday if you want to do it that day? I have nothing planned and would like a good day on the water!
Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 PM

could be quite muddy there too, who knows.. pack the spinning gear just in case. if we're going that far, may as well chuck a few lines in k lakes and see if we can't wrangle a bully trout
Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 PM

Seen a guy fishing it a few days ago by the bridge with a beige SUV. didnt look like he was getting much
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 PM

The water will ne crystal clear. Wish i could make it out this weekend.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
i would join you on sunday if you want to do it that day? I have nothing planned and would like a good day on the water!

Sorry Slivers, unfortunately I can't go Sunday. It's got to be Saturday now. (Even though the weatherman says I should go Sunday.) I like your plan about Lower K though. I just might do that.

Fishstix, thanks for the spots via PM. Appreciated.
Krush.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Seen a guy fishing it a few days ago by the bridge with a beige SUV. didnt look like he was getting much
Wow... what weight of rod would you need to cast an SUV? Must be some monster fish in there! Or maybe that was why he wasn't getting much?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=Bigtoad;1392565]Wow... what weight of rod would you need to cast an SUV? Must be some monster fish in there! Or maybe that was why he wasn't getting much? [/Q
It may have been a compact suv.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 PM

Last July my son and I caught three brookies, we were camping at willow Rock (sucky one on north side of HWY1). The CO's were surprised. it is a bit of a walk down from the top of the campground, through the bottom of the campground and then along a path, but there are stairs take you right down to the bank, and you can walk a bit of the bank. Across the river at that spot is quite a tall cliff, I was spin casting across the river into deeper pools right below the rocks. CD rapalas, I did catch a good size one in the shallow center, but it managed to get off so I never saw it. I was also told by the COs up by Seebe where it meets the Bow is a good spot, no idea this time of year though.

Last edited by fish&fry04; 04-14-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:05 PM

Default da

There are fish between the big lakes and barrier dam. Most of the river there is 1 foot deep, but you have to find the pools. I've caught a few decent sized browns fairly close to the main K lakes.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:25 PM

[QUOTE=fishstix;1392954]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
Wow... what weight of rod would you need to cast an SUV? Must be some monster fish in there! Or maybe that was why he wasn't getting much? [/Q
It may have been a compact suv.
Bentley has developed a fly fishing SUV. $350,000 US. That should do wonders to dispel the myth of fly fishing as elitist.

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/ben...y-fishing-suv/

As for the K River, I've never fished it, mainly because I'd heard it didn't fish well or hold much as it was constantly being blown out by water releases. Have I been steered wrong?
Old 07-28-2017, 09:45 PM

The river is not so much blown out (well I guess it certainly did in 2013) as subject to regular hydro-peaking operations. There is also a very active sub-surface flow through the alluvial till that predominates in the valley that can result in some really low surface flow rates (both currently and historically).

The last fisheries report I saw was limited to mostly Whitefish redd counting. There may be the odd trout kicking around but not many.