Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2017, 04:30 PM

Default 40 Mile water levels

I've heard that 40 Mile is being drawn from heavily this week due to the insane temps, any one know how much?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:19 PM

It wouldnt surprise me.

Chin is dropping 6-8" per day and is very low. Im sure most of the southern reservoirs have dropping water levels due to higher than normal irrigation use.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:26 PM

Default 40 mile

The waters dropping 4 inches per day and dropped between 3 and 4 feet already with more pumping to go unless a good general rain, have moved our docks twice already and some are high and dry
Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 PM

http://www.environment.alberta.ca/ap...10&DataType=10

This link may be of some use to you in the future, but not right now. Everything for 40 mile in the last week is blank.

Forecast still says 30 or above for most days over the next 2 weeks. If this heat sticks around for the majority of the summer, none of the reservoirs will have any water left in them.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:53 PM

Chin is drawn down every year, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why! St Mary's reservoir is full, Waterton reservoir is full, basically everything upstream of chin is full, downstream is full, and chin is basically drawn down.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 PM

Can't believe how much rattlesnake is down already,every time I go out its down another couple of feet. Least the fish are still biting.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:40 AM
Banned

Power station on chin is why it's down they make more money, the further the water drops the faster the generator/ turbine turns making more money. What a shame.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the replies, all. We have family coming next week and want to take them to 40 for a day.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 PM

Another week of Greedy Irrigation and all the reservoirs within the st.mary's district will have been robbed clean of water. Boated Chin today water is very low, 1.2 feet deep on the west side of the bridge. On my way down to the lake, a pivot's end gun was pounding water onto hiway #36, plus 33 degrees. You would think by the year 2017 that wasting water would be monitored a little closer than it is. Regulation for everything except water usage. More and more water rights are being given out all the time.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:16 PM

Default Uh..... aren't water reservoirs for... ah...

Water..... for agriculture.......

And you're mad cause they're using the water for what it's intended for....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-13-2017, 08:25 PM

You bet Bessie. Watering the hiway.......
Old 07-13-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaturalwoodsman View Post
Another week of Greedy Irrigation and all the reservoirs within the st.mary's district will have been robbed clean of water. Boated Chin today water is very low, 1.2 feet deep on the west side of the bridge. On my way down to the lake, a pivot's end gun was pounding water onto hiway #36, plus 33 degrees. You would think by the year 2017 that wasting water would be monitored a little closer than it is. Regulation for everything except water usage. More and more water rights are being given out all the time.
Hmmmm.....I'd be thankful St Mary's even lets people in for recreational use. It may not always be this way going forward.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 PM

With the amount of public money smrid gets it should go both ways a little more
Old 07-14-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Would those reservoirs exist if Ag didn't need them?
You make it sound as if the water hitting the highway destroys the water. In actuality it evaporates and falls again somewhere else.
Pivots are mechanical beasts, they break down occasionally, your world doesn't have malfunctions?
Yes there are regulations on water use.
Do you think S.AB would be as prosperous without irrigation?

I envy the prosperity of that area. Most of it directly related to, irrigation.

For all of western Canada and the western US I hope we get rain soon.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 07-14-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy9525 View Post
With the amount of public money smrid gets it should go both ways a little more
I agree, and so far it has been that way. But there is a very real threat to the whole district that is close by which could shut the whole thing down to recreation.

I will admit....comments like woodsmans get under my skin
Old 07-14-2017, 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=hillbillyreefer;3583265]Would those reservoirs exist if Ag didn't need them?
You make it sound as if the water hitting the highway destroys the water. In actuality it evaporates and falls again somewhere else.
Pivots are mechanical beasts, they break down occasionally, your world doesn't have malfunctions?

For all of western Canada and the western US I hope we get rain soon.[/

I have worked in the irrigation industry I know what goes on. The industry needs help, it needs regulation. It ain't the mechanics of a pivot as to the reason why its pumping water on the hi-way, or the wasting of water from the leaky mainline, or watering a crop when there is a 90km/h wind.

PS. Reefer. Your logic on the evaporation of water off the hiway??? So since a coyote will eat a deer, should I just go shoot a deer and let the coyotes eat it where it falls?
Old 07-14-2017, 11:01 AM

[QUOTE=thenaturalwoodsman;3583425]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Would those reservoirs exist if Ag didn't need them?

For all of western Canada and the western US I hope we get rain soon.[/

I have worked in the irrigation industry I know what goes on. The industry needs help, it needs regulation. It ain't the mechanics of a pivot as to the reason why its pumping water on the hi-way, or the wasting of water from the leaky mainline, or watering a crop when there is a 90km/h wind.

PS. Reefer. Your logic on the evaporation of water off the hiway??? So since a coyote will eat a deer, should I just go shoot a deer and let the coyotes eat it where it falls?
Are irrigation farmers not told exactly when they can water, and given a window of opportunity that must be used or lost? It's difficult for the guys at the end of the line to water if the guys at the start of the system use all the water.

Not much anyone can do to stop the wind, maybe you have a good idea? Maybe instead of stopping the wind you could make it rain instead. Then we could rid ourselves of the reseviours and expense of upkeep, the jobs and investment related to them. Oh wait, you'd still want that for your recreation, another first world problem.

Water evaporating and you poaching a deer are equivalents?

That water is being used to produce FOOD. Imagine the price increases if irrigation yields were removed from the food supply in NA.

Some people just like to complain, it's a common first world problem, affluence allows stupidity to flourish.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 07-14-2017, 01:16 PM

[/QUOTE]I have worked in the irrigation industry I know what goes on. The industry needs help, it needs regulation. It ain't the mechanics of a pivot as to the reason why its pumping water on the hi-way, or the wasting of water from the leaky mainline, or watering a crop when there is a 90km/h wind.
[/QUOTE]

All it takes is dirt or algae to plug the lines that trigger the end gun shut offs to prevent them from working. For computerized panels.....if the ring turns it puts the degrees entered for end gun shut offs out of whack. Yes, mechanical issues can and do effect end gun shut offs.

No farmer will ever intentionally irrigate in 90km/hr winds.....it costs them money. It is simply not practical to for everything to stop and start on a dime.

While you may have worked in the irrigation industry, you must not have been involved in the practical workings of it.....

The simple fact is these reservoirs were built for irrigation use.....they are there to be drawn down from in years such as this. To expect any different is asnine.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
Chin is drawn down every year, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why! St Mary's reservoir is full, Waterton reservoir is full, basically everything upstream of chin is full, downstream is full, and chin is basically drawn down.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
2 years ago Chin was very low by august long weekend and St Mary's was still quit high. By September Chin was full and St Mary's was the low one. I am sure there is a reason for it, but it definitely screws the fisheries up and is a big reason why the lake around here have tons of potential but will never reach it. This is agriculture country though and these lakes are here for irrigation first and foremost.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:16 AM

Has anybody been out to Sherburne and saw the water levels there? Just curious.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
Has anybody been out to Sherburne and saw the water levels there? Just curious.
Don't know about water levels, but Sherburne is closed to boating.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-15-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Don't know about water levels, but Sherburne is closed to boating.
I heard that, but just curious if they're pulling water from it or if they have the reservoir isolated and pulling from 40 mile instead.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:23 AM

Sherburne is normal water level. I am told there is a fella going to be running the gates and boating is in fact going to be allowed.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Sherburne is normal water level. I am told there is a fella going to be running the gates and boating is in fact going to be allowed.
Thanks. Have you seen yourself, water leaving Sherburne down the outlet canal??

This is good news.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:48 AM

I need to go for a drive out there to check it out when I'm home from work.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Where did you hear this? Do you have his name?

Reason I ask is because we are in the middle of coming up with a solution to this situation with smrid and we havent been told about this as of yet.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Where did you hear this? Do you have his name?

Reason I ask is because we are in the middle of coming up with a solution to this situation with smrid and we havent been told about this as of yet.
The boat launch is tenttatively open. The new sign says someone will be running the boat launch soon.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:23 AM

That's good news. Thanks
Old 07-29-2017, 03:23 PM

Default access to sherburne is blocked again

Drove down there today to find the concrete blocks across the road and a sign stating that the launch was closed July 28th. I guess I missed the fishing window!
Old 07-29-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell f View Post
Drove down there today to find the concrete blocks across the road and a sign stating that the launch was closed July 28th. I guess I missed the fishing window!
I had heard that, it really sucks.

Thomas Sowell