Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
Xguns is really funny.
The first couple of times yes. It is kind of like that Honda commercial with the folding rear seats. First couple of times, kind of neat, but that idiot keeps standing there giggling doing it over and over. Sort of loses something over time.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
That's a very strange sort of logic. Supporting the status quo by saying it's the status quo, so must be right. I'm assuming there was a time when there was no archery season. I guess rifle hunters should have said "No to a separate archery season. That's what the general season is for".
Just because its the "status quo" doesn't make it wrong by default.

Fight the power Oko!

If you want to join our exclusive club, just buy a bow, that is held by your own power and get the permit $5.00(+or-),and you are in. No need to feel like an outsider in this province.
Ps. Oh yeah, we do have a few rules to keep the riff raff out
Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
I don't get it ?

Compound and traditional guys are on the same page... both weapons are legal in the archery season , both use muscle power..... both are bows and a majority of both groups agree that (pincher guy say it with me) xguns are not bows
lol potty there are many members on this forum alone that would argue a compound in no way resembles a bow. however, i can see how that because a compound is what you choose to use the arguement would be used by you.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
The original bow has be expanded and improved on for years. Add some wheels, then some cams. Shorten the limbs, add a stabilizer, put sights on it. Now use a mechanical release and what have you got. A bow that has been taken from a weapon that was meant to improve hunting over a spear to a mechanical device. Take a compound and turn it on its side, add a stick to help hold it, incorporate a release that is attached to the stick. What have you got? Say it with me now "CROSSBOW"
But it doesn't use muscle power to draw hold and fire....
Old 05-24-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
lol potty there are many members on this forum alone that would argue a compound in no way resembles a bow. however, i can see how that because a compound is what you choose to use the arguement would be used by you.
I have a traditional bow as well....it suits me well too!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I have a traditional bow as well....it suits me well too!
please feel free to post a picture with your screen name laying next to said trad bow.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Pretty sure thats where most guys problem is.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
They don't cock themselves, granted there are some that have a cocking device but not all. Some of the newer bows have 85 to 90 percent let off. So in actuality the shooter is not holding the true poundage of the bow either.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
They don't cock themselves, granted there are some that have a cocking device but not all. Some of the newer bows have 85 to 90 percent let off. So in actuality the shooter is not holding the true poundage of the bow either.
But you would agree they are holding it drawn?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
please feel free to post a picture with your screen name laying next to said trad bow.
One I only use film camera's. ..two . Your more than welcome to come hold it if you come to cowtown... heck ill throw in a free hunting lesson too
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm going to say, even if we had another vote , there would be less neutral, more voting and whole lot more people voting to keep xguns out of the archery season.......
It seems to me that opinions of people in the hunting community are swaying in the opposite direction of what you think. You have to consider that at the time of the ESRD poll the ABA conducted a huge anti-crossbow campaign and the results were only 44% against and 37% for. People are better informed about them now and are aware that a lot of what they heard about them are nothing but myths. IMO that 7% difference in the poll is gone

The ABA argument against including crossbows is very thin IMO and their entitled attitude turned a lot of people off......not good publicity for the organization. They created their own divide in the hunting community with their protectionism and IMO would have been better off with a more cooperative attitude (ie crossbows for sup does or in bow zones only, etc). Their fear tactic of saying that everything would go to draw kinda backfired with the new draws that came out regardless of crossbows.

Let's face it, when you peel back all of the reasons and excuses for not including crossbows it comes down to one thing......Not wanting to share the archery season with anyone (apparently spearhunters included).
Old 05-24-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It seems to me that opinions of people in the hunting community are swaying in the opposite direction of what you think. You have to consider that at the time of the ESRD poll the ABA conducted a huge anti-crossbow campaign and the results were only 44% against and 37% for. People are better informed about them now and are aware that a lot of what they heard about them are nothing but myths. IMO that 7% difference in the poll is gone

The ABA argument against including crossbows is very thin IMO and their entitled attitude turned a lot of people off......not good publicity for the organization. They created their own divide in the hunting community with their protectionism and IMO would have been better off with a more cooperative attitude (ie crossbows for sup does or in bow zones only, etc). Their fear tactic of saying that everything would go to draw kinda backfired with the new draws that came out regardless of crossbows.

Let's face it, when you peel back all of the reasons and excuses for not including crossbows it comes down to one thing......Not wanting to share the archery season with anyone
(apparently spearhunters included).
Not true, bowhunters are endearing to sharing...every bowhunter I know has mentored many people...I know I have...and still do...and do it on my honey holes...
Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
So? Compound bows have a let-off and longbows don't. IMO a compound bow is more similar to a crossbow than a long bow. It has sights and you can hold it at full draw a lot longer. If a longbow is an apple and a crossbow is an orange then what is a compound bow......a grapefruit? You are quick to point out the differences between a traditional bow and a crossbow but you fail to recognize the difference between a longbow and a compound bow.

Get real, the argument about whether or not a crossbow is a bow is a moot point. It's all about not sharing the archery season with any other type of hunting whether it's a crossbow or a spear. Enough with the BS already.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
But you would agree they are holding it drawn?
Yes they are most definitely holding some weight.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth
A chance at hunting in the archery season, with a weapon that is easier to shoot, and easier to master, without using muscle power and the ability to shoot in the prone posistion.

Should we make the nets in hockey bigger? Lower the basket ball nets to allow more drunks? These would be changes to sports that allow more focus on different parts of the respective games. What crossbow guys are asking is to change the rules of our sport. Please give this some thought, and understand why people will resist. Also, this doesnt apply to everyone, stop claiming they are just like bows. Crossbows are there own deal, sharing both qualities of bows\firearms. Your argurment would come across more sincere, and honest if you would present them as so.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

Let's face it, when you peel back all of the reasons and excuses for not including crossbows it comes down to one thing......Not wanting to share the archery season with anyone (apparently spearhunters included).
Interestingly, since the poll was brought to the front last night the NO side has increased from 51 to 53%. I think no matter how you look at it the issue is pretty evenly split.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Sheesh Potty, ya gotta go way back in this thread to where I, somewhat sarcastically I admit, described how using a crossbow requires using all kinds of muscle power to draw, hold, and fire.
The big difference is, I admit, that the arrow is nocked on the string and 'held' in place on the rail (rather than on the rest on a trad / recurve/compound) after the bow being drawn rather than before being drawn.

Guess you have a little trouble comprehending the use of muscle power using a crossbow .

How do you think one draws one back? Does it do it all by itself?
How do you think one is held? Maybe hanging in the air?
How do you think the arrow is released?
How do you think followup action is done?

(I'm being sarcastic again, in case you don;t 'get it' .

Gotta hand it to ya, your vehement prejudice against crossbows and their users / adherents / proponents is evident to us all.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Sheesh Potty, ya gotta go way back in this thread to where I, somewhat sarcastically I admit, described how using a crossbow requires using all kinds of muscle power to draw, hold, and fire.
The big difference is, I admit, that the arrow is nocked on the string and 'held' in place on the rail (rather than on the rest on a trad / recurve/compound) after the bow being drawn rather than before being drawn.

Guess you have a little trouble comprehending the use of muscle power using a crossbow .

How do you think one draws one back? Does it do it all by itself?
How do you think one is held? Maybe hanging in the air?
How do you think the arrow is released?
How do you think followup action is done?

(I'm being sarcastic again, in case you don;t 'get it' .

Gotta hand it to ya, your vehement prejudice against crossbows and their users / adherents / proponents is evident to us all.
Your wrong I have no problem with xguns and their users....
Old 05-24-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
One I only use film camera's. ..two . Your more than welcome to come hold it if you come to cowtown... heck ill throw in a free hunting lesson too
Convenient eh? What with even a 30 dollar cell phone having digital cameras
Old 05-24-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Your wrong I have no problem with xguns and their users....
Now I am call BS on this one. You don't even have common sense to call them by the proper name. As soon as you change the name to draw attention to yourself is proof of that. I think you have a problem with anything that isn't anything you do.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:40 PM

Hell, whats so hard to beleive about Potty having a longbow. I even have a martin savanah and a jack kempff longbow in the house along with about a dozen or so compounds.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Convenient eh? What with even a 30 dollar cell phone having digital cameras
No actually its a pain in the butt... I gotta send my film to Edmonton. .. many members have seen me pull out my rebel to shoot my hunting pics...or go back a read my old threads about it...
Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Now I am call BS on this one. You don't even have common sense to call them by the proper name. As soon as you change the name to draw attention to yourself is proof of that. I think you have a problem with anything that isn't anything you do.
Like what else?

Pretty bold statement about someone you don't know...just because I don't agree with xguns in the archery season..

Care to back up your statement or apologize.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM

One of the reasons that probably has already been stated is that on August 24 at 8:30 pm you can buy a crossbow that is already sighted in and on August 25 am you are a bow hunter.
It seems to me that the Xbow is more suited to a primitive weapons season than archery season. I think that it is easier to master the x bow than the PRIMITIVE muzzleloader. When I got my Kentucky longtom I spent a couple of days learning and reading about powders and charges and things. Then chose powder and bullets measuring devices,and building a load. I was happy to see that I could hit a grapefruit at 50 yards with a small sight adjustment. V.S. a buddy that got a crossbow permit for a disability and picked up a "good to go package" the night before the hunt. (I do realize that with modern muzzle loaders you can do this too)
Another reason to consider is when its -25 drawing and holding and aiming a bow is a whole new challenge vs the gun style weapons.

Just my observations
Old 05-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Like what else?

Pretty bold statement about someone you don't know...just because I don't agree with xguns in the archery season..

Care to back up your statement or apologize.
I get this from reading your posts, not just here but elsewhere. As for apologize, in your dreams, in your dreams
Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I get this from reading your posts, not just here but elsewhere. As for apologize, in your dreams, in your dreams
Like what..prove it...

I tolerate more than you would ever.... its not wise to make up lies.

Losing the argument, so gotta make up things.. great strategy. ..lol
Old 05-24-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Like what..prove it...

I tolerate more than you would ever.... its not wise to make up lies.

That's my opinion of you, and I am free to express my opinion.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:

That's my opinion of you, and I am free to express my opinion.
Good way to cover the fact you have zero prove outside the xgun thread...

Good job ...liar..
Old 05-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Good way to cover the fact you have zero prove outside the xgun thread...

Good job ...liar..
I just don't have the time or the patience to read through your crap. Once is enough, I came to this conclusion a long time ago and nothing you have posted since has give me any reason to change my mind. Anyway, post away.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I just don't have the time or the patience to read through your crap. Once is enough, I came to this conclusion a long time ago and nothing you have posted since has give me any reason to change my mind. Anyway, post away.
Way to back peddle...lmao

Funny last week you were defending my post... make up your mind.... want me to repost it?...lol

You can't stop the lies...can you.. !