Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 06:46 PM

Damage to the barrel from cleaning is due to poorly designed and fitting bore guides and bad technique ,not cleaning , the damage usually occurs on the bottom land at the chamber end from the rod hitting it , also common to see scored lands and grooves on the bottom from debris being dragged in and the rod hitting them , mis alignment and or loose fit are the culprit ,also not pushing the rod straight , seems like common sense but many lift on the rod when they pull it back and start it forward ,
I have bore scoped after patching and brushing with wipe out, seems to get the copper and carbon out pretty good , sometimes there will be a bit of copper left about 1/2 “ back from the muzzle , usually on a lower land (not sure why that is ) , if it’s there it needs to go , there is also a blueish black scale that builds up in the throat area for about 5” when it gets to be very much it needs to be iossoed out , if you do it regular there is less firecracking issues , unless you shoot long strings of fire . I do have pictures of barrel broke in , don’t know how to post them ,
Old 07-14-2018, 06:49 PM

Chuck, You asked to see ...A few of my barrels that have been “broke in”. Others are on actions but they look pretty much the same
Old 07-14-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Can you show me a picture of a barrel that’s been broke in?
“Chuck, as much as any other member, you add real-life, no nonsense, been there done that experience to this forum.”

Totally agree
Old 07-14-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Chuck, You asked to see ...A few of my barrels that have been “broke in”. Others are on actions but they look pretty much the same
Neat. I was asking for pictures showing the affect. But thanks.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-15-2018, 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=chuck;3811990]OK, I just got out of the basement after cleaning my 223. It has at least 150 rounds through it since last cleaning. I first ran three patches of Otis Carbon cleaner in the bore. I let it sit for five minutes then patched it out. Then I ran a wet bronze brush through the bore 10 times, patched it out, repeated the three wet patch routine, dried the bore and done. Then I ran one snug and two loose patches soaked with wipeout down the bore with all patches coming out white. I let that soak for an hour and then ran a snug fitting dry patch down the bore. The result.

That’s a good process for a varmint/ hunting barrel , now have a look with a bore scope ,you will probably find the lands and bore are a blackish color at the chamber end and that will run about 6” down the bore , also depending on round count firecracking May be present ,at the end of the case mouth in the chamber it starts to look like charcoal .no solvent will remove it
Old 07-15-2018, 11:05 AM

I’m curious now. Can I remedy that by using iosso or JB bore paste just ahead of the chamber? I hate pushing abrasive things out the muzzle.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-15-2018, 11:29 AM

Yes , small amount on a SOFT nylon brush , does not take much to get it out , about ten short strokes will usuallly do it , push a dry patch in about the same distance and pull it back through the bore guide 2-3 of those will get the small amount of paste out , one wet patch pushed through is normally enough to finish it off , then have a look with the bore scope , should be good
Old 07-15-2018, 01:19 PM

I’m assuming you use iosso brushes?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-15-2018, 01:29 PM

Certainly not to take away from some of the excellent comments on this thread, but here is another perspective that will lend itself more to Hunting and Varmint rifles. ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQU6WxsM8bo
Old 07-15-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I’m assuming you use iosso brushes?
No , iosso brushes are to stiff and can do damage , need a soft nylon brush
Old 07-15-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW223 View Post
No , iosso brushes are to stiff and can do damage , need a soft nylon brush
What brushes do you recommend?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-15-2018, 02:26 PM

Pro shot makes soft brushes , Dan opel at plenty o patches had brushes made that work very well with iosso