Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2015, 01:22 PM

Default Product review-Kolpin 6. gun boot *updated*

Well what they say is true. Large enough to take 56 mm Leupold Varmint Hunter Extreme on a 26 inch heavy barrel X bolt rifle with full sling and bipod (Harris 25 inch). Look out coyotes!!
Ordered Friday on Amazon and box arrived a few minutes ago. Now I wonder why the 6.0 bracket ordered the same time is still not here??
Old 12-07-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Well what they say is true. Large enough to take 56 mm Leupold Varmint Hunter Extreme on a 26 inch heavy barrel X bolt rifle with full sling and bipod (Harris 25 inch). Look out coyotes!!
Ordered Friday on Amazon and box arrived a few minutes ago. Now I wonder why the 6.0 bracket ordered the same time is still not here??
Thanx for the start of a great review , keep us updated after you've used it a few times . I'm looking at getting one of these myself .
Old 12-08-2015, 04:08 PM

Default Rubber Loop Mount bracket weights 20 or more pounds

heavy plate steel. black powder coat

Arrived to day (that is just how Canada Post expedited works, had to pick it up at chestermere)

Couple tools and it fit on the predrilled holes on my front suzuki rack. Very adjustable forward or back and tilts well out of the way of the steering and I was impressed with the rubber mounting attachments. Even the clevis pin that attached the boot into the loop mount is rubber padded. Maybe take my new toys for a test drive tomorrow H380.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:48 PM

nice, but where are the pics? How does the rifle and scope fit in the boot? Does the scope hold the rifle barrel from resting on the bottom thereby putting pressure on the scope? I've seen that problem with some of the older Kolpin boots.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:59 PM

Default Pics are easy tomomow

As I am leaving for the Flames game shortly. To answer some of your questions the over sized plastic boot contains a fibre and foam inner liner. I suspect neither my barrel nor the scope are weight bearing because I left the harris bipod on the rifle.
Very snug fit with all the acessories left on the rifle so I am confident that between the padding and the rubber mounts everything is not only secure but safe from impact or stress damage.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 PM

Is your gunboot the transporter edition with the removable gun case? If so, hope it works better than mine. Wore a hole thru the end of the removable gun case in no time. Ended up putting several layers of duct tape on end to cushion it some what.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:45 PM

Default Johninab

checked the site and replacement liners are available quite cheap from Kolpin. I guess if the end wore out the muzzle must have been rubbing on the liner?
After hearing your situation I have decided to insert the rifle into liner and then insert liner into boot to avoid any tight areas or sharp objects like bipod from poking holes into liner/pad.

Boot and liner:
[IMG][/IMG]

Sizing rifle to liner:
[IMG][/IMG]

I intentionally left 3 inches of stock sticking out:
[IMG][/IMG]

Tucked away in boot:
[IMG][/IMG]

Lock up, will show it in mounting hardware on quad after lunch:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-10-2015, 12:21 PM

Default havent forgotten

Mounting pictures in bracket on quad but we had rain and sleet and snow all afternoon yesterday so didnt feel like setting up trail cameras in sleet and snow. Today we have been fogged in so no sense carrying rifle on quad if I cant see even a 100 yards.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:57 PM

Default Fog lifted

Birds fed. Solar driveway lights installed. Put up the trail cameras. maiden voyage with the gun boot on the quad.
Boot case through rubber loop:
[IMG][/IMG]

Pinned and locked into place:
[IMG][/IMG]

Things I like: rifle seems very secure in both case and with mounting hardware but I am going to take most of bolts out and locktight them with blue thread lock

Things I did not like: in third gear the case vibrates on rough ground thus the angle position can drop down and interfere with steering (one of the reason I locktighted the bolts)
the rubberized loop is in the way of fully tightening the angle adjustment bolts and nuts so by removing it I was able to get a good tightening on bolts and locktight so no slippage of case. Will have to see if that improves stability of the angle bracket bolts.
Perhaps it is just the weight of this particular rifle, scope and bipod but there seems to be a lot of movement in the case (vibration left and right) at moderate speed. I would have liked to mount it with a lower centre of balance.
If I think of it I will update this thread after a full winter of hunting coyotes in February.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:33 PM

Use these cases on the Yamaha Rhinos we have in our moose camp group....great gun boots / no issues- had mine on since 2009. I wish for a bit more padding but its ok.

Me I still like the old Gunboot IV ( I think) that had the nice fuzzy liner. Never was an issue for me being wet. Just don't leave your top cover off the gunboot when raining/snowing.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:38 PM

thanks for the review
Old 12-11-2015, 02:15 PM

Default You are welcome

Might be a few of these under the Christmas tree this year. I had ordered mine but Mrs Santa just told me she was paying for it as an early Christmas present.
Best price I could find was Amazon $89 for padded boot and $65 for bracket mounting hardware shipped free.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:24 PM

I see yours is not the transporter edition. See the replacement liner for mine from Kolpin is $29.99 US. Add in shipping and might as well buy a new boot.

I threw the mounting bracket piece that goes on the rack away and just used the piece with the hoop on it and mounted that to the side of my rear cargo box. Helps with the shaking especially on the composite racks my Polaris has. Will state I do like the hinged rear hatch versus the other style of removable back piece.

I have one with the fuzz inside as well which I used for years with no issues.