Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Banned

Default Manners Day in Edm?

So I'm sitting here watching the news and I find out that today was "Manners Day" in Edm. I guess people were going around giving away ribbons, and gift certificates if you said please or thank-you at certain spots around town.
Anyone cash in?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:22 PM

I find it extremely sad that people have to give out ribbons and gift certificates for something that should be a basic common courtesy.

If I didn't say please and thank you, my parents would have had me in the woodshed so fast I wouldn't know what hit me!!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Eyes View Post
I find it extremely sad that people have to give out ribbons and gift certificates for something that should be a basic common courtesy.

If I didn't say please and thank you, my parents would have had me in the woodshed so fast I wouldn't know what hit me!!
X2
The very rare time I'm not polite, around the parents I still get a smack in the head.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Eyes View Post

Right on. I don't have it in me to NOT say please and thank you, usually it's thank you very much or a thank you kindly with a big smile. I have zero tolerance for no manners
Old 12-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Banned

Default Good Manners......

I had them brained into me by my father when I was first able to comunicate....and he drilled them in and they stuck....not so much with my brother.

Did I ever misbehave as a kid...nope....did I know when to say please or thank you...yep...hold a door?....say excuse me me!...yes I did....all of those important things to respect other people and make them comfortable as possible as that is good manners.

Good manners are not a way of making others look bad but to make everyone else around you feel comfortable and welcome.

FTH
Old 12-12-2015, 06:03 AM

I used to talk to people from the states daily in a past job and you want to here manners. Every sentence you heard yes sir, thank you sir, etc... . What a differance from talking to people in Canada. I guess it's the military backgrounds that the people in the states have. Most people had some kind of military training at one time. I just love the alabama accent, it's my favorite.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:58 AM

well what a heart warming pile of crap!! I'm not that old but "back in my day" you just got a slap upside the head if you didn't use your manners. now we have to reward people.... good gawd were doomed.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:37 AM

The worst part of the whole thing was Sonic was handing out free Timmies orders to those who used manners...but then some people claimed they used manners and still had to pay, calling the radio station all angry.

....there is nothing anyone can do nowadays that doesn't offend anyone at anytime....

Yup we are doomed.

LC
Old 12-12-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro1 View Post
x2
the very rare time i'm not polite, around the parents i still get a smack in the head.
x3, always.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:29 PM

My brother and I stopped to eat lunch at a family restaurant in Creston B.C. on our way back to Calgary a few years ago. We simply went about our meal in our usual way, please and thank you with our orders and with the plates being cleared, etc. and every time the waitress was looked at us like we were from Mars, or like she wasn't sure if we were somehow messing with her. Finally at the end of our meal after even we were starting to wonder what the deal was, she finally said "I've never had the pleasure of serving such polite people in all the time I've been working at this restaurant!"

It was embarrassing and sad to me, as previous posters have already stated, that this waitress had been working there for however long, and simple please and thank-you's made her day like that.