Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-31-2018, 07:40 AM

Default Guides for Resident Sheep 444/446?

I believe I'm getting close in priority to be drawn for this tag within the next few years. I don't know the area at all. Never hunted sheep either. I'd like to hire a guide and do things right when the time comes as I believe it to be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Any thoughts of area guides? Costs to be prepared for?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:57 AM

Default sheep

Just be aware guides do not like to take local Albertans on sheep hunt, they will give their best hunting areas away as locals will just hunt the area themselves in the future.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:22 AM

There are no guides in this area. Only 3 tags for a few thousand applicants. If you are top priority which i believe is a 14 you might get drawn in the next 25 years. Other wise there is no chance in a persons lifetime. If you get drawn you could contact the local asinawitchie (i am sure i spelled that wrong)band, they go up on the mine and kill sheep all the time. Maybe they will take you out.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just be aware guides do not like to take local Albertans on sheep hunt, they will give their best hunting areas away as locals will just hunt the area themselves in the future.
There are outfitters in Alberta who will take Alberta residents on sheep hunts depending on the area.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayM77 View Post
There are no guides in this area. Only 3 tags for a few thousand applicants...
Anyone know if there are even any legal rams up there anymore?
Old 06-01-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dynamite View Post
Anyone know if there are even any legal rams up there anymore?
It's a tough hunt just to find a legal ram. With high predator numbers and unregulated hunting I wouldn't waste my money on an outfitter .
Old 06-02-2018, 07:38 AM

I pulled that tag about 3 years ago. Saw about 10 legal rams, only one that had any age on it. The guy who accompanied me on one trip killed
A 180 ram two years earlier, and said he passed 10-15 rams that were way better than the best ram we saw. We hunted on foot, with horses, and with ATV's, and went up three times; for the opener, middle of the season, and the last week. Every time we went, there were fewer rams around. That was before the mine closed, so at least then the sheep had a few places to hide from the subsistence hunters. Now that the mine is closed and they can drive anywhere, I doubt there is a ram in the zone more than 4 years old. Maybe way back in, but I thInk any sheep within 15 miles of the mine is drawn into to the tame forage on the mine. If I had spent 3 weeks hunted the places where I usually hunt sheep, I'm 90% certain I could have killed a better ram than anything I saw in 444/446.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but plan on having a nice ATV or camping adventure and don't get your hopes up about bringing home a ram.

Gerry Burnie
Old 06-04-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I pulled that tag about 3 years ago. Saw about 10 legal rams, only one that had any age on it. The guy who accompanied me on one trip killed
A 180 ram two years earlier, and said he passed 10-15 rams that were way better than the best ram we saw. We hunted on foot, with horses, and with ATV's, and went up three times; for the opener, middle of the season, and the last week. Every time we went, there were fewer rams around. That was before the mine closed, so at least then the sheep had a few places to hide from the subsistence hunters. Now that the mine is closed and they can drive anywhere, I doubt there is a ram in the zone more than 4 years old. Maybe way back in, but I thInk any sheep within 15 miles of the mine is drawn into to the tame forage on the mine. If I had spent 3 weeks hunted the places where I usually hunt sheep, I'm 90% certain I could have killed a better ram than anything I saw in 444/446.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but plan on having a nice ATV or camping adventure and don't get your hopes up about bringing home a ram.
ouch. not what I wanted to hear. I checked the other day. only priority 12 so a few years to go yet. Hopefully some population recovery by then.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
ouch. not what I wanted to hear. I checked the other day. only priority 12 so a few years to go yet. Hopefully some population recovery by then.
Ya only another 47 people ahead of you with 14 now in the top pool and 53 ahead of you with 13. At that rate you should draw it by the time you're 150 so things should be completely different by then!!!
Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Ya only another 47 people ahead of you with 14 now in the top pool and 53 ahead of you with 13. At that rate you should draw it by the time you're 150 so things should be completely different by then!!!
Actually that's just who applied last year, if you also look at the people in top priority that 999 the draw there are 37 more with the 47 in top for total of 84 at the top of the pool. If everyone in top gets drawn at the current tags(3) it will be 28 years. Then next down the total is 131, most in this group at this rate will not live to see the tag with it taking 44 years to go through and all those below are just generously donating money to the gov.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayM77 View Post
There are no guides in this area. Only 3 tags for a few thousand applicants. If you are top priority which i believe is a 14 you might get drawn in the next 25 years. Other wise there is no chance in a persons lifetime. If you get drawn you could contact the local asinawitchie (i am sure i spelled that wrong)band, they go up on the mine and kill sheep all the time. Maybe they will take you out.
Glad there is someone who does not repeat things all over again, for areas such as those maybe you can hunt twice in a lifetime if even that...
Old 06-05-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
Actually that's just who applied last year, if you also look at the people in top priority that 999 the draw there are 37 more with the 47 in top for total of 84 at the top of the pool. If everyone in top gets drawn at the current tags(3) it will be 28 years. Then next down the total is 131, most in this group at this rate will not live to see the tag with it taking 44 years to go through and all those below are just generously donating money to the gov.
Haha yep you are right...

So you're saying there's a chance......
Old 06-05-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Haha yep you are right...

So you're saying there's a chance......
ya for some there is.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:15 PM

OP or anyone else get a 444/446 tag?

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-13-2018, 09:33 AM

It’s a waste now, I wouldn’t want to pull that tag anymore. Soon they’re going to close the ewe draw in there as well because they’re getting shot for “subsistence” too. I’ve spent a lot of time in that area, it used to be incredible!
Old 07-13-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
It’s a waste now, I wouldn’t want to pull that tag anymore. Soon they’re going to close the ewe draw in there as well because they’re getting shot for “subsistence” too. I’ve spent a lot of time in that area, it used to be incredible!
I'm surprised that SRD doesn't force the mine take the roads out so that the pick ups can't access it. Hard to believe that they stand by and watch while one of the best sheep habitats in the world is having the sheep wiped out. I expect many of the goats up there meet the same demise.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-13-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
i'm surprised that srd doesn't force the mine take the roads out so that the pick ups can't access it. Hard to believe that they stand by and watch while one of the best sheep habitats in the world is having the sheep wiped out. I expect many of the goats up there meet the same demise.
x2 ^^^^^
Old 07-13-2018, 06:15 PM

And then the Gov't sits on their butts and does nothing to help the cadomin herd either. Got to love some great areas being wiped out!
Old 07-13-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I'm surprised that SRD doesn't force the mine take the roads out so that the pick ups can't access it. Hard to believe that they stand by and watch while one of the best sheep habitats in the world is having the sheep wiped out. I expect many of the goats up there meet the same demise.
They were talking about making it a restricted access zone like Wilmore to try and keep the FN out. As far as the mine pulling out the roads that won’t happen, they’re hoping they reopen at some point.
On more then one occasion while speaking with different mine staff they said it was common to find 20-25 cut off heads a year from rams. This meant they were being killed and not registered. Add to that the ones that were registered and the number must have been way over what the population could sustain. Obviously, because there are very few rams left now. The last time I was there the mine was still operating in its last year. There was a yellow truck parked on the one mine for at least 20 days that I saw. That was up a restricted road through the private property, and I’ll guarantee more then one ram went home with them.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:47 PM

Unfortunately I’m a p12 aswell.. to committeed now to give up .. but it is a real shame isn’t it ...
Old 07-13-2018, 09:12 PM

At least when the mine was in operation the sheep had a few sanctuaries. Now the entire area is a free for all. The year I drew there, 20-30 good young rams disappeared between the end of August and the end of October.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 PM

Alberta game management at it’s finest, what a shame......😕