Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-07-2018, 09:09 AM

Default This years antler growth??

Have noticed this yr the bucks that made it through the long and deep snow winter up here in the peace seem to be very weak in the antler department. I have a number of yrs on these buck and they are way behind last yr at this time and way behind 2 yrs ago. Aside from my best buck regressing I beleieve that the first fresh veg this yr has gone toward body repair and not antler growth. Being that they only have less than 1.5 months to get it done, I dont know if they will caught up. Anyone else seeing this?

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:07 AM

I can tell you that the muley I almost hit with the truck the other day already had a pretty nice rack. Other than that, I had sort of assumed that most of the bucks I'd been seeing were young ones...your explanation also makes sense.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-07-2018, 11:59 AM

But is there still meat under the hide??
Old 07-07-2018, 12:22 PM

There maybe less of that too. They were pretty skinny by the time the new growth finally started growing. Not sure where you live but the snow in the peace was waist deep on man. Glad as many made it as they did.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Banned

I've been seeing some decent healthy bucks lots of good looking does as well numbers are fantastic this year again. Elk I have been seeing are further in growth then i expected. Only seen few bull moose growing. Going to be good year
Old 07-07-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
There maybe less of that too. They were pretty skinny by the time the new growth finally started growing. Not sure where you live but the snow in the peace was waist deep on man. Glad as many made it as they did.
Hunt the coal branch area south east of Hinton. Lots of snow there this past winter as well. Hopefully they can the supplemental whitetail tags this year.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I've been seeing some decent healthy bucks lots of good looking does as well numbers are fantastic this year again. Elk I have been seeing are further in growth then i expected. Only seen few bull moose growing. Going to be good year
Are you in the peace, if not, how was your winter?

Old 07-07-2018, 08:25 PM

Antler growth can be influenced by how wet or dry things are. If it's a dry year antlers seem lighter or smaller.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-09-2018, 11:08 AM

my personal experience so far this year is on par with what you are seeing. Only checked one cam location but there the bucks behind then I have watched in years past. From what I have seen the deer and bull elk are about 2-3 weeks behind in antler growth then similar animals from 2 yrs ago. Last year I found to be a late year as well. I had big bucks with perfect velvet still in first week september,So approx 2 weeks behind previous years growth from the same area. Antlers still remained on par for size despite being late.

might be all in my head but still think it occurs.

WMU 212.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you in the peace, if not, how was your winter?
In edson we had lots of snow I expected it to be worse in numbers. Seeing tonne of healthy critters. More elk in some spots then i have in years
Old 07-09-2018, 12:28 PM

I would agree, antler growth is behind this year compared to previous years for sure.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:08 PM

Pretty much on par in the South... Couple up and comers might be making the hit list this season.

Good luck to all.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:37 PM

Default This years antler growth

I seem to think that the antler growth is behind in my area as well, from what I have been seeing. East central Alberta.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:24 PM

For the first days of July these seem pretty nice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72BA200D-C942-49EE-95DC-C7EA7B33F672.jpg (46.2 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg 9DC4EC13-76CB-4EE1-A890-F05606100FEC.jpg (39.5 KB, 230 views)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
For the first days of July these seem pretty nice
Looks great and thanks for sharing. Bear in mind I did say my observation was for the peace. We had a long winter with very deep snow. The calgary area had a very easy winter, again. I am some very mature animals and I dont see that kind of growth what so ever.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 PM

Nice pics raw! From what am seeing this year looks pretty on pace in cent sask
Old 07-11-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Looks great and thanks for sharing. Bear in mind I did say my observation was for the peace. We had a long winter with very deep snow. The calgary area had a very easy winter, again. I am some very mature animals and I dont see that kind of growth what so ever.
The Calgary area had the hardest winter with the most snow pack in over 10yrs easy. Its relative, to location expectations. The properties I hunt had 3 to 4' of snow accumulation. That is super rare for these parts.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
The Calgary area had the hardest winter with the most snow pack in over 10yrs easy. Its relative, to location expectations. The properties I hunt had 3 to 4' of snow accumulation. That is super rare for these parts.
This is very true. During the winter, I drove the tractor all around our property multiple times to make tire tracks so the animals could travel easier. I also processed over 15 bales (@ $110 each) to help the deer and elk out. We also plowed rows in our hay field so the animals could access grazing in the fields easier.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
This is very true. During the winter, I drove the tractor all around our property multiple times to make tire tracks so the animals could travel easier. I also processed over 15 bales (@ $110 each) to help the deer and elk out. We also plowed rows in our hay field so the animals could access grazing in the fields easier.
The Cam I pulled is less than 3 mins drive from you, Are you seeing a slower start as well?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
The Cam I pulled is less than 3 mins drive from you, Are you seeing a slower start as well?
To be honest I haven't spend a single moment spotting. I have seen a few animals going between our ranch and town as well as on our ranch that look exceptional. I will start scouting the weekend of 21st
Old 07-11-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
To be honest I haven't spend a single moment spotting. I have seen a few animals going between our ranch and town as well as on our ranch that look exceptional. I will start scouting the weekend of 21st
Fair enough. Thanks
Old 07-11-2018, 04:30 PM

I haven't been out that much. But I did see one mulie buck. A 6by?. I was driving so only counted one side, almost rear ended a guy checking him out. Really great looking buck though. And he looked healthy. It was just off the highway in Medicine Hat by the Callahan INN, (if that's still the name of the place). But it did seem like the antler growth was behind what I normally see. Honestly, I'm still a fairly new hunter, so my guess is probably not as good as the rest of you.
Other than that, I'm throwing out my game cams this weekend. down in 119. Hopefully be able to throw some pictures up later. I have a good lil honey hole I found last year by sheer luck, that had at my last count 16 bucks in a fairly small shallow coulee. Be good to see how many are there this year.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. Thanks
I've been out a couple of times and the antler growth is less or if it is just behind. I have pictures of a few deer from last year and have pictures of them this year (july 26 2017 & july 22 2018) and they are no where near the same place.

I am leaning towards them just being behind as opposed to smaller due to lack of moisture. I say this because the tips this year are still quite round and soft looking. Last year they were way more pointy and did not look as soft.

Time will tell
Old 07-22-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I've been out a couple of times and the antler growth is less or if it is just behind. I have pictures of a few deer from last year and have pictures of them this year (july 26 2017 & july 22 2018) and they are no where near the same place.

I am leaning towards them just being behind as opposed to smaller due to lack of moisture. I say this because the tips this year are still quite round and soft looking. Last year they were way more pointy and did not look as soft.

Time will tell
I dont know if they can catch up if they are behind, dont they shed at the same every yr? Its based off daylight time entering the eye, no? I dont know much about it, but i am sure someone does.
Anyways some with me, pics frim last yr, same bucks and similar day, not even close.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I dont know if they can catch up if they are behind, dont they shed at the same every yr? Its based off daylight time entering the eye, no? I dont know much about it, but i am sure someone does.
Anyways some with me, pics frim last yr, same bucks and similar day, not even close.
I've seen mature bucks shed as early as Aug 25th and as late as Sept 10th so I'm not sure what factor determines when they shed.

I really hope they are going to shed later this year and keep growing longer. The couple of bucks I had high hopes for are not showing much promise yet.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Time will tell
Exactly what I have seen. In both millarville and Carseland. I wonder what does trigger the velvet shedding response. Is it tied to the influences of rut or something else. August 25 - September 10 is pretty much bang on from my experience.