Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 PM
Banned

Default swivel jig

Several years back, I lost most of my trapping gear in a fire. Certain items were replaced immediately, others as needed. Lots of items were homemade. The other day, one I remembered that I do not have was a jig used in making swivels for snares, using #9 wire or smaller. This was another of my homemade things but I do not recall how it was designed. Possibly, I copied it from something seen. Does anybody have anything like this or know where I can see/buy one.....Thx
Old 05-13-2015, 12:13 AM

There is a YouTube video pretty simple. Make a mandrel the shape of the loop you desire . Then drill a hole in it the same size as a shaft of an average screw driver . Piece of flat bar foot long . Drill three holes half inch apart starting half inch from one end . Cut number nine wire in six inch piece. Then fold it in half . Wrap around mandrel place screw driver in center hole of flat bar. Line up wire with hole on each side of screw driver. Then place screw driver threw hole in mandrel then turn flat bar several times cut off excess wire. Mandrel needs too be held with a vice.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Banned

Found what I was looking for.....Thx, Martin