Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2017, 09:35 PM

Default Garage Heater ceiling mount options

Planning on picking up a Mr Heater gas heater and mounting it tomorrow.

My garage height is 10 ft for the first 2 thirds and then it goes up to 14 ft, so will have to mount it in the back corner of the garage at 45 degree angle. And it has to come down from the ceiling about 4-5 ft.

Was thinking of using something similar to a unistrut with 3/8 rods, but before going that route just wanted to see if someone has a better alternative, I am in the process of finishing the garage and have it insulated and polyed but no drywall yet.

Also in terms of vent kits, the horizontals are insanely expensive at $470 and verticals at $150 and advice or alternatives?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2017, 09:48 PM

Horizontal kits are stainless for building code reasons that's why they cost more. If your not going to have it inspected you could use b vent and c vent to cowboy it in there for horizontal discharge but it will rust out and fail over time this could cause the products of combustion to leak back into the occupied space and may lead to carbon monoxide problems. If your going to have it inspected you may need a contractor depending on where you live for the gas permit. I use unistrut and spring nuts when I install them you could hang rods at different lengths and then use your strut like a trapeze hanger to hang it level I would not hang it at an angle (in the vertical) read the installation instructions for clearances to combustiables before you set on a final location.

Last edited by Dubious; 10-06-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Horizontal kits are stainless for building code reasons that's why they cost more. If your not going to have it inspected you could use b vent and c vent to cowboy it in there for horizontal discharge but it will rust out and fail over time this could cause the products of combustion to leak back into the occupied space and may lead to carbon monoxide problems. If your going to have it inspected you may need a contractor depending on where you live for the gas permit. I use unistrut and spring nuts when I install them you could hang rods at different lengths and then use your strut like a trapeze hanger to hang it level I would not hang it at an angle you can adjust the fins on the discharge to make it blow down.
Thanks for the input. Was going to get a contractor to run the gas line to the garage and I do the rest of the work.

For angle I meant in the corner pointing towards the opposite corner where the garage door is, not slanted down. Sorry about the confusion.

With the cost of the unit, horizontal vent kit and gas line/permit I am thinking now it might be cheaper to just get someone to do the whole thing.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:25 PM

a plumbing or mechanical company are your best bet. Usually small plumbing shops are cheaper than the big buys cause they have way less overhead and can offer more competitive pricing.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 PM

If you are going to have a company do it, I highly recommend Clear Skies. They did the heater in my garage and a year later I had a minor issue (no fault of theirs) and they sent a guy out at no charge.
I don't recall how much they charged for the install but it was about in the middle of all the places I checked.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:46 AM

Stainless vent is a cash grab as I work in the industry and have seen venting systems that are 20 yrs old that are still intact. But stainless is code.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:22 AM

As noted, stainless is for sidewall venting and one can use b-vent for a roof vent. Unistrut is a good option for hanging it. As for the Mr Heater units I don't know how they are for parts support when compared to the likes of Reznor, Modine or Lennox. I like to know what I'm installing will have after-sales support. The gas line being just part of the installation you might find it better to hire them for the whole thing. If the inspector is out to check the gas line and sees the heater but the gasfitter is not taking responsibility for that aspect then you might encounter some trouble as that part of the install needs permitting & inspection too.

Some tradespeople don't go for simply being the pathway to the permit and prefer to do the full job. Others are flexible but such arrangements do tend to increase the PITA factor, and its this PITA factor for a lower dollar job that dissuades contractors from pursuing them. Just a heads up to the psychology from the other perspective.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-07-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:33 AM

I'll second what caber said. First off, imho, you're better off with a recognized brand, my preference being the Modine. I almost always recommend using the stainless sidewall vent over the B-vent through the roof. Buying wholesale, the stainless works out to be on average around $100 more than B-vent, but the installation is much quicker, and you're also not cutting into your already sealed roof to install a roof jack. My only advice is make sure of the soffit elevation before committing to your unit height, as a sidewalk vent is required to grade down slightly to outdoors
Old 10-07-2017, 09:11 PM

Just installed a Mr Heater 50K btu myself. 9 ft ceiling so I don't have the solution for your situation. Picked up the Mr Heater stainless horizontal vent kit from Amazon.com for $259 (US) shipped to Eureka Mt.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:28 PM

I am going to install a 45,000 BTU Lennox overhead heater in my garage shortly, I plan on using a horizontal vent as well. I understand it must be stainless.

Is there anything in the code that states the distance that the vent must be from the soffit? It will likely penetrate the wall at about a foot or so below the soffit. Do I just need to be be clear of the soffit edge?

Can anyone clarify this for me?

It is difficult to find a place that has the code listed clearly.

Last edited by LangdonFan; 12-05-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:56 PM

I'm doing the exact same job right now. Gas line is run to the garage but capped. I'm hanging my heater with 3/8" ready rod at a gasfitters suggestion.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Is this to help comply with codes? Or for other reasons?
Old 12-06-2017, 12:58 PM

This is how I mounted mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 03:27 PM

Interesting. I could consider doing the same..

I am hoping to mount it direct to the ceiling, are there any code issues that would say that would put it too close to the soffit/eave? As long as I go past the eave I should be code compliant. Sound right?

Last edited by LangdonFan; 12-06-2017 at 03:50 PM.