Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-29-2020, 08:47 PM

covid lockdown has everybody looking for a new hobby
Old 12-29-2020, 09:40 PM

This time next year itll be toast. Save some pictures to show the grandkids what a whitefish looked like. Wait till new years day. The word is out.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:20 PM

There was even more people out on the lake today than in the pic's the other day .... N.Y. Day will be another zoo . Sylvan went up to 35 active covid cases today, play safe.

D.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
This time next year itll be toast. Save some pictures to show the grandkids what a whitefish looked like. Wait till new years day. The word is out.
Lol most southern Alberta lakes are packed dense with whites. I know guys that catch their 10 limit every time. Lots of these lakes have more whites than sylvan too.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
I agree with you. It is going to be like a Gull shortly. To much advertising.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:30 PM

Took my new Zip Sled for a test drive this morning, got set up by 8:15 had my limit of Whites before lunch, the Mrs didn't want any fish for supper, they all went back. I missed one huge White came in slowly & smacked my w/w from the wrong end and no hook up, I'm seeing a few really big whites this year. As for advertising, all 15K residents from Town will be on the ice tomorrow plus 1/2 Red Deer & the surrounding areas. If you decide to join the crowds, play safe & enjoy your day.

Happy New Year

D.

New Zip Sled

Old 12-31-2020, 04:44 PM

Does anyone fish for pike on sylvan? If so is anyone catching them. I’m laid up from surgery hoping to get out by mid January.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienelliott View Post
Does anyone fish for pike on sylvan? If so is anyone catching them. I’m laid up from surgery hoping to get out by mid January.
There's no retention limit on Pike, I've caught 3-4 small one's this winter but there's a few monster Pike hiding out there & they slowly come up to your presentation and stare at it ..... then disappear. Scott was lucky to get a big one to commit the other day, broke his rod & got away ... not a fish story.

D.

Old 12-31-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
There's no retention limit on Pike, I've caught 3-4 small one's this winter but there's a few monster Pike hiding out there & they slowly come up to your presentation and stare at it ..... then disappear. Scott was lucky to get a big one to commit the other day, broke his rod & got away ... not a fish story.

D.

Thanks Ya I know it’s zero retention. I got 9 last year 20lb and over. Got 15 the year before that over 20. And many from that 30-38”(6-15lb) just wondering if anyone is catching any so I can get excited for when I’m cleared to start walking again lol
Old 12-31-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ya I know it’s zero retention. I got 9 last year 20lb and over. Got 15 the year before that over 20. And many from that 30-38”(6-15lb) just wondering if anyone is catching any so I can get excited for when I’m cleared to start walking again lol
You got them all at sylvan? Or other places? That’s a load of big fish. Gratz!
Old 12-31-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
You got them all at sylvan? Or other places? That’s a load of big fish. Gratz!
Thanks yes All at sylvan. I’m in red deer it’s close and the kids like catching whites while watching flags.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:13 PM

Taking my boys out to target whitefish for the first time tomorrow.
With all the talk of large groups and crazy crowds, if a guy drives out on the ice, is it still possible to find a less crowded spot and still see success? Like many, I'm not huge on the crowds, but also want good chances of my 3 young boys seeing some whites on camera and hopefully hook a few. I'm coming from the south so was thinking of ice access either at half moon or RR23.
Finding some burbot or walleye wouldn't be a bad thing either :-)
Was planning on driving my Duramax on the ice unless people think otherwise?
Any helpful comments appreciated.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:03 PM

The Sylvan Skunk got us again today! 😩
Old 01-02-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
The Sylvan Skunk got us again today! 😩
Still Better than a day at work.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Still Better than a day at work.
Ya, 5 hours of staring down a hole and fishin hard to see 1 whitefish between 2 people! Fun fun...ouch my neck and back. Lol. There was a Lot of people on the lake today.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Ya, 5 hours of staring down a hole and fishin hard to see 1 whitefish between 2 people! Fun fun...ouch my neck and back. Lol. There was a Lot of people on the lake today.
I believe that. The lake has turned into a zoo the last few years.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:43 PM

January 1 2021. Second time out to Sylvan Lake. Be there at 12pm. Stop in Norglenwold. Tried 15, 8, and 6 fow. Till 4:30pm, landed 9 whities kept 5, and a walleye. Crowded and noisy but fun day for New Year.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:45 PM

Jan 02nd .... Went out with Scott we were set up in 8 fow just after 8:15 it was still dark & hard to see the bottom, had a White smack my w/w, missed it, could finally see the bottom had a few come in, we got 2 Whites just after 9:00 am, enough for the Mrs for supper. It was C&R the rest of the day, a bit slower than previous trips, had a few bigger Whites attack the flutter spoon & Candy Cane Y/O w/w, lost a few more than normal, just bad hook sets. After 5 trips, today I seen my first Pike and 1 nice Burb that bumped my spoon, the fellow next to us got a nice Walleye. It was a Bty warm fun day. The Mrs enjoyed her supper and has left overs for lunch tomorrow. The lake was crazy busy, hope everyone enjoyed being out and perhaps caught a few fish, too.

Cheers

D.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforjoy View Post
January 1 2021. Second time out to Sylvan Lake. Be there at 12pm. Stop in Norglenwold. Tried 15, 8, and 6 fow. Till 4:30pm, landed 9 whities kept 5, and a walleye. Crowded and noisy but fun day for New Year.

Sounds like you had a good day, congrats! Why may I ask do your fish look so bloody? Looks like an animal got into them. Lol
Old 01-03-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you had a good day, congrats! Why may I ask do your fish look so bloody? Looks like an animal got into them. Lol
I bled them. Taste less fishy
Old 01-03-2021, 04:40 PM

Was out today at Palm Bay in the morning before sunrise hoping to see my son catch his 1st whitefish or to get him to believe I caught many similar types at Wabamum and Pigeon 40 years ago. Well, I failed. We saw 4 whites and a Burb but no actual bites. The closest we came was in the darkness where I attempted a hook set when I lost site of my lure, only to feel no bite had occured and see Mr. whitefish slowly swim away. The other 3 were curious but certainly not hungry. A good bonding day none the less. We fished in 6 and 8 feet of water for 3 hours. Lots of shacks and drive ons at daybreak but I remember many more people at Wabamum back in the day.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkster View Post
Taking my boys out to target whitefish for the first time tomorrow.
With all the talk of large groups and crazy crowds, if a guy drives out on the ice, is it still possible to find a less crowded spot and still see success? Like many, I'm not huge on the crowds, but also want good chances of my 3 young boys seeing some whites on camera and hopefully hook a few. I'm coming from the south so was thinking of ice access either at half moon or RR23.
Finding some burbot or walleye wouldn't be a bad thing either :-)
Was planning on driving my Duramax on the ice unless people think otherwise?
Any helpful comments appreciated.

Jan 1 Summary from the boys and my maiden voyage was we made it to the lake around 8:00 AM. Drove onto the lake at half moon, followed the coast NW until I felt i was half way in between the RR23 and half moon (as I said, I kinda like to be secluded). Doesn't seem busy or like a zoo at all if you go away from the big crowds at the entrances. More open ice seen by us than occupied ice. People maybe just need to venture out further.

Wasn't overly active day, but a great day out with my boys, especially for it being a exploratory day for us on a new lake targeting new species (Primarily whites).

5 FOW, 1 Massive (18-20 lbs) Northern - Landed cleanly with my 14 yr old doing everything except me hand pulling him out of the hole. Took a couple quick pics, and put him back in for one of you to catch :-)

8 FOW, 2 Whites on ice (first for us)

12 FOW, nothing landed, but saw whites on Camera and 1 medium Northern

16 FOW, 2 Burbot and one Walleye, late day activity.

Four different species caught. Boys were pretty excited about that.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Jan 1 Summary from the boys and my maiden voyage was we made it to the lake around 8:00 AM. Drove onto the lake at half moon, followed the coast NW until I felt i was half way in between the RR23 and half moon (as I said, I kinda like to be secluded). Doesn't seem busy or like a zoo at all if you go away from the big crowds at the entrances. More open ice seen by us than occupied ice. People maybe just need to venture out further.

Wasn't overly active day, but a great day out with my boys, especially for it being a exploratory day for us on a new lake targeting new species (Primarily whites).

5 FOW, 1 Massive (18-20 lbs) Northern - Landed cleanly with my 14 yr old doing everything except me hand pulling him out of the hole. Took a couple quick pics, and put him back in for one of you to catch :-)

8 FOW, 2 Whites on ice (first for us)

12 FOW, nothing landed, but saw whites on Camera and 1 medium Northern

16 FOW, 2 Burbot and one Walleye, late day activity.

Four different species caught. Boys were pretty excited about that.
Successful day in every aspect! Care to post a pic of that beast pike?
Old 01-04-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforjoy View Post
I bled them. Taste less fishy
This is a good practice to follow. Kills the fish right away, it does not have to die from suffocation and freezing and yes your fish taste better for dong it!!!
Old 01-04-2021, 09:10 PM

Great report sparkster....thanks for that
Old 01-04-2021, 09:34 PM

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2021, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Successful day in every aspect! Care to post a pic of that beast pike?
Wish I would have gotten a better one that showed her girth. But am always worried keeping them out too long. Just a solid fat momma, nice and healthy. We were all going nuts when we saw that fat gator head pass by the hole the first time. Haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210105_002844.jpg (58.4 KB, 238 views)
Old 01-05-2021, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Wish I would have gotten a better one that showed her girth. But am always worried keeping them out too long. Just a solid fat momma, nice and healthy. We were all going nuts when we saw that fat gator head pass by the hole the first time. Haha
That is a nice pike congrats
Old 01-05-2021, 01:22 AM

Quote:
That’s awesome man!
Old 01-05-2021, 07:03 AM

Yep! Super day and super pike. Congrats on the great day out - and outside of the box...er crowds