Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Also where did you find 8-9? Has to be along shore I’m guessing. From Mulhurst to Silver beach and to Mameo its all 16 plus.
I'm guessing out in the middle as per his post. I've also fished out there and it does vary. Found one spot 18 inches and found others wayyyyy less.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Also where did you find 8-9? Has to be along shore I’m guessing. From Mulhurst to Silver beach and to Mameo its all 16 plus.
It was out in deep water but if I’ve seen a couple different spots like that ..... how much more of the lake has variable thickness?
It’s the worst looking ice in spots that I’ve seen in years (Broken, cracked and lots of little heaves) if we get any really ice growing weather I expect it will be interesting trying to get around the lake.
Not telling anyone what to do but I won’t be driving my 1/2 ton on anytime soon.
And if you choose to, please drive slowly. Be safe out there everyone.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiler View Post
It was out in deep water but if I’ve seen a couple different spots like that ..... how much more of the lake has variable thickness?
It’s the worst looking ice in spots that I’ve seen in years (Broken, cracked and lots of little heaves) if we get any really ice growing weather I expect it will be interesting trying to get around the lake.
Not telling anyone what to do but I won’t be driving my 1/2 ton on anytime soon.
I agree with the weird ice conditions. Usually there is one big heave out in the middle. This year I cross 2 heaves to get out to the middle from Mulhurst. I think the bad wind we had the one day really caused grief. Without snow cover I thought the ice would be in great shape. I’m getting tired of loading and unloading quad and sled every time but it gives ya piece of mind. I just wish I had the nerve to drive a 3/4 ton out first like some people. Other than ice the fishing has been good for me. Only weird thing is I haven’t even seen 1 pike.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I agree with the weird ice conditions. Usually there is one big heave out in the middle. This year I cross 2 heaves to get out to the middle from Mulhurst. I think the bad wind we had the one day really caused grief. Without snow cover I thought the ice would be in great shape. I’m getting tired of loading and unloading quad and sled every time but it gives ya piece of mind. I just wish I had the nerve to drive a 3/4 ton out first like some people. Other than ice the fishing has been good for me. Only weird thing is I haven’t even seen 1 pike.
I’ve seen more pike (and caught) this year than the last few years combined. Lol
Old 12-31-2020, 09:23 PM

Any big whites keepin your heart beating Moose? Not asking for anything but a confirmed sighting brutha. I can take it from there. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Any big whites keepin your heart beating Moose? Not asking for anything but a confirmed sighting brutha. I can take it from there. Thanks.

I’ve been to grandview 3 times this year. No whites seen the last time but the first 2 times I seen em. 5 total seen.
They all looked like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiler View Post
This!

The ice is chipping out of the hole at some of the layers rather than fine shavings. Usually I do not see chippy ice until March. I real deep freeze should take care of it. Otherwise you can take a chance like a lot are doing - probably be fine...might not if you hit the wrong spot. I`m sticking with light travel - a pain loading and unloading but worth it.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:10 AM

I will keep loading and unloading my snowmobile for now. Ice is 15" plus all around Mulhurst/Silver Beach where I have been but it is not clear blue - lots of white layers in it.
I found some walleye on the 27th, caught 7 but it took all day. They were all around 48cm long.
Haven't seen a pike or whitefish there yet this ice season. It's been really slow for me but at least i filled by class B tags.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:55 AM

Went out to "my spot" for the afternoon/early evening. Found out it was no longer "my spot" lol.

Ice was 16" or so - until it wasn't.

When the bite started, I moved to a hole that a fellow vacated about 50 yards away from me (he was catching and I was not). The ice in that hole was maybe 9". He had his half ton and kids right there all day. It was tempting to drive on, but after seeing that, was glad I was on my snowmobile.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:01 AM

Hammering eyes right now. Seen a big white 6 feet off bottom in 25’ of water.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Went out to "my spot" for the afternoon/early evening. Found out it was no longer "my spot" lol.

Ice was 16" or so - until it wasn't.

When the bite started, I moved to a hole that a fellow vacated about 50 yards away from me (he was catching and I was not). The ice in that hole was maybe 9". He had his half ton and kids right there all day. It was tempting to drive on, but after seeing that, was glad I was on my snowmobile.
Wow🥵. The guy driving on 9 inches of ice. Talk about getting lucky. Could easily go through
Old 01-01-2021, 12:05 PM

got tags for walleye, live in calgary. long drive without carpooling
Old 01-01-2021, 03:32 PM

Default Ice conditions

I have to agree with Snapfisher and penguin on this one.....the way the ice chips out and the white ice streaks, I will continue light travel with ATV. I as well will not be taking my truck out any time soon no matter how much of a pain the loading and unloading is.

As for people driving on, please slow down when driving on ice. Let’s keep the waves under the ice to a minimum to avoid a blowout
Old 01-01-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I'm just wondering if there's more stupid people out there nowadays, or if it's just cuz I'm getting older and smarter LOL, actually I think I remember doing that in my 20s

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
My opinion is there is more stupid people into both fishing and hunting because a lot of them are winging it from info on forums, Facebook or YouTube vs hands on mentors

A good portion I really think just don’t know better
Old 01-01-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
My opinion is there is more stupid people into both fishing and hunting because a lot of them are winging it from info on forums, Facebook or YouTube vs hands on mentors

A good portion I really think just don’t know better
Unfortunately this is true I think. And it will only get worse now that more vehicles are out there. Everyone will thinks it’s fine, the more tracks they see. The number of trucks that seem to think 70km/hr is a safe enough speed is unreal. Guys might think it’s ballzy but as I’ve gotten older, that’s not the word that I’d use for it.
I’ll stick to the quad to get around until we get a really good cold snap. Lots of fresh cracks seen again today as we rolled back to the shore.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:01 PM

there were trucks out in the middle of the lake today .
Old 01-01-2021, 07:03 PM

Drove out to the point at Silver beach today later. There must have been 10 trucks out there. Ice was 17/18 wherever I drilled. Lots of people as well. All vehicles that left from 3 on drove properly and didn’t race out. I also drove out to birdcrap island and there was a truck that was 400 yds further west than that. Ice Was fairly quiet driving off. No idea on ice on west or Sandholm side. Be safe.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Drove out to the point at Silver beach today later. There must have been 10 trucks out there. Ice was 17/18 wherever I drilled. Lots of people as well. All vehicles that left from 3 on drove properly and didn’t race out. I also drove out to birdcrap island and there was a truck that was 400 yds further west than that. Ice Was fairly quiet driving off. No idea on ice on west or Sandholm side. Be safe.
how was it off of silver beach , Sandholm was slow this afternoon .
Old 01-01-2021, 07:26 PM

18” at grandview today. Lots of trucks out. Caught lots of walleye. Saw 23 whites today. Most I’ve ever seen in one day at pigeon.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
18” at grandview today. Lots of trucks out. Caught lots of walleye. Saw 23 whites today. Most I’ve ever seen in one day at pigeon.
Facebook posts are showing a truck busted brought at grandview. Did you see this?
Old 01-01-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Facebook posts are showing a truck busted brought at grandview. Did you see this?
Nope. But the shoreline where the trucks go on and off the ice broke up. About a 10x20 foot chunk. Had to drive around it.
Couple guys were putting up ribbon or cones so nobody would drive on it.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you had a great day. I always like to see members Having success. You put in a lot of time fishing so good for you. Be safe and best of luck.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Nope. But the shoreline where the trucks go on and off the ice broke up. About a 10x20 foot chunk. Had to drive around it.
Couple guys were putting up ribbon or cones so nobody would drive on it.
Locals put up straw bales to mark the hole. It needs some time to freeze up. If you stay to the right of it going on to the lake it is fine.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Locals put up straw bales to mark the hole. It needs some time to freeze up. If you stay to the right of it going on to the lake it is fine.
how much ground clearance do you need to over the hub , I was there this afternoon and could not make it over. is there any other close access to drive on at Grandview . thanks
Old 01-03-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
how much ground clearance do you need to over the hub , I was there this afternoon and could not make it over. is there any other close access to drive on at Grandview . thanks
Regular f150’s were making it over today. I had my quad today but watched some trucks go over it.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Where you able to land any of those whites?
Old 01-03-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn D View Post
Nope I was in the tent with a buddy walleye fishing with the camera down, I did have a jaw jacker 20 yards away with a couple wire worms on it. No dice though.
This was in 25’ of water, the whites were cruising what looked like about 8 feet off the bottom.
I always leave a jaw jacker out loaded with wire worms. No dice at pigeon though.
Thinking maybe at pigeon they need a little movement instead of dead sticking off a jaw jacker?
Old 01-03-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn D View Post
Those suspended ones in pigeon are tough...at least for me anyways. They just seem to cruise around with a glazed look on their face. If you can find them in 10 or less f.o.w over a little structure like a gravel bed or around some weeds and rocks, they seem a little more interested in feeding or at least approaching your offering. I know some guys get them deep out on pigeon.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Nope I was in the tent with a buddy walleye fishing with the camera down, I did have a jaw jacker 20 yards away with a couple wire worms on it. No dice though.
This was in 25’ of water, the whites were cruising what looked like about 8 feet off the bottom.
I always leave a jaw jacker out loaded with wire worms. No dice at pigeon though.
Thinking maybe at pigeon they need a little movement instead of dead sticking off a jaw jacker?
I don't know about the movement on a JJ. I bought the jigging base it has caught me zero whites at Pigeon to date. 2 years I have tried it now. Seems I get more looks when it is still on the JJ, but, I do have a rod in had with WWs which I do move when something has an interest. Now the jigging base stays at home. You only get so many chances on these tight lipped whites.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I don't know about the movement on a JJ. I bought the jigging base it has caught me zero whites at Pigeon to date. 2 years I have tried it now. Seems I get more looks when it is still on the JJ, but, I do have a rod in had with WWs which I do move when something has an interest. Now the jigging base stays at home. You only get so many chances on these tight lipped whites.
I was thinking of a getting a jigging base just for pigeon whites. Guess I’ll buy beer instead.