Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-30-2020, 08:41 PM

Default New Clam™ Drill Plate with Power Drive

Anyone on the board have any first hand experience the new Clam with Power Drive ?

I'm considering getting one with the 3.1 power drive gear ratio as I'm running a Milwaukee M18 and a 10" steel StrikeMaster. From what I understand I will also need to get the adapter as the clam drill shaft is 18mm & I believe the auger bit is 22mm. They suggest this unit will extend the life of your drill and it will cut better when the ice grows to 24+ inches, since I'm not going to California, may need it this winter.

Cheers

D.

• Planetary gearbox has 3.6:1 gear ratio
• Bolts to all 2nd generation Clam Drill Plates (with 4 bolts)
• Output shaft is 18MM, adapts to most hand augers
• Input shaft works with all ½” chucks
• Weighs 1.5 pound
• Enables users to drill both 8 and 10” holes with a drill plate and most industrial cordless drills
• Perfect for reopening old holes

Take your auger drilling power to the next level. The Clam Drill Plate has revolutionized the simplicity and ease of drilling holes in the ice. The Power Drive accessory, designed for the Clam Drill Plate increases the power and torque of the auger. This comes in handy when you have 10-inch holes to drill.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Anyone on the board have any first hand experience the new Clam with Power Drive ?

I'm considering getting one with the 3.1 power drive gear ratio as I'm running a Milwaukee M18 and a 10" steel StrikeMaster. From what I understand I will also need to get the adapter as the clam drill shaft is 18mm & I believe the auger bit is 22mm. They suggest this unit will extend the life of your drill and it will cut better when the ice grows to 24+ inches, since I'm not going to California, may need it this winter.

Cheers

D.

• Planetary gearbox has 3.6:1 gear ratio
• Bolts to all 2nd generation Clam Drill Plates (with 4 bolts)
• Output shaft is 18MM, adapts to most hand augers
• Input shaft works with all ½” chucks
• Weighs 1.5 pound
• Enables users to drill both 8 and 10” holes with a drill plate and most industrial cordless drills
• Perfect for reopening old holes

Take your auger drilling power to the next level. The Clam Drill Plate has revolutionized the simplicity and ease of drilling holes in the ice. The Power Drive accessory, designed for the Clam Drill Plate increases the power and torque of the auger. This comes in handy when you have 10-inch holes to drill.

You will need the adapter
Old 01-20-2021, 04:28 PM

Ordered the new Clam Plate with the power drive, it's on sale now at Cabelas at $30.00 off list. Also ordered the adapter which is required for my StrikeMaster LPD-10" auger bit which has a 22mm shaft dia. same as Jiffy or K-Drill. Went out on the lake today, ice is about 20" out by the marina.

MY Review: - I won't win the fastest drill contest in Sylvan, the 3.6:1 gear ratio is slow but the M18 doesn't stop or bind it powered through the ice until you punch through.

Hopefully this will also save me some wear & tear on the drill as well as they claim, extend my battery life.

My M18 has a lot of torque, I found it much easier to hang on to the Clam Plate vs holding the drill & the drill's handle. I've had a few occasions that my drill would bind & then release, you could hurt yourself if the drill wacks your wrist, happened to our buddy Skawtty when his handle broke ... ouch.

A note of caution, if the ice gets thicker you will need an extension, when the unit punched through it pulls the clam plate down towards the ice, you could hurt your fingers if you're not careful.

Trust this is helpful for others ... a few pic's.

D.

Note: Removed my Custom Zip-Disk, Don't Need It, the Auger Bolts to the Adapter.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 01-20-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:07 PM

Wouldn't allow me to Edit the above post .... I believe it was called the "ZipEzy" Disk or Stopper, no longer needed with the Clam Plate.

D.