Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2015, 11:07 AM

airdrie fish and game club stock dewitt pond twice a year they get the kids involved to help stock it .. not sure about browns ?

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-17-2015, 11:11 AM

I take my young kids there and throw everything back that doesn't get gill hooked somehow. Not sure why anyone'd keep them as they taste like the pasture runoff they swim in.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:57 PM

took my son and his little buddy there on Sunday evening with no luck at all, there was about 8 other people fishing and did not see anyone catch a fish.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:59 PM

how has the fishing been, thinking of hitting it for some brown trout action next weekend if I have time
Old 05-01-2015, 09:44 AM

Now that I live in SW Airdrie, I'm about a 5 minute drive away. Will be heading out tonight to try out the new rod/reel. Has it been stocked yet?
Old 05-01-2015, 11:54 AM

Default Dewitt's Pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
Now that I live in SW Airdrie, I'm about a 5 minute drive away. Will be heading out tonight to try out the new rod/reel. Has it been stocked yet?

Yes
Old 05-01-2015, 07:34 PM

i was there last week and checked it out but didn't fish. i was impressed with the revamp having actual real garbage units there, new signage's
Old 05-01-2015, 08:45 PM

Didnt get out tonight as I got caught up watching hockey, think I will head out early AM tomorrow if the weathers nice enough.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:28 PM

I also wonder if the carp is a myth or not, hope it is, it'll ruin the trout fishery
Old 05-03-2015, 04:37 PM

I was talking to a guy and he told me they started aerating it last winter. I saw a rainbow trout taken that was much bigger than the normally stocked trout. Unless they released larger fish this year it must be an over winter fish.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
I also wonder if the carp is a myth or not, hope it is, it'll ruin the trout fishery
Not a myth. The guy beside me caught a couple yesterday and I caught a brown. Lots of people there were targeting the carp. You could see them surfacing everyone in a while. I don't think they are effecting things too much because people have been saying there are carp in there for a few years now and there are still lots of guys that say they haven't seen any so they haven't taken over that little pond and it's been years. Not like other carp species that take over in no time and spread in no time. I'm no expert but that's how I look at it. Either way not a bad pond as that was my first time there
Old 05-04-2015, 08:54 AM

Got out yesterday for an hour or so, not even a bite. Went around 3 though, so it might have been a bad time as no one around me was catching either.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:16 AM

Took my cousin out on Saturday from out of country. He manged one small rainbow on a little spinner. It was cold, windy and gross out so we didn't stay long!
Old 05-04-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Not a myth. The guy beside me caught a couple yesterday and I caught a brown. Lots of people there were targeting the carp. You could see them surfacing everyone in a while. I don't think they are effecting things too much because people have been saying there are carp in there for a few years now and there are still lots of guys that say they haven't seen any so they haven't taken over that little pond and it's been years. Not like other carp species that take over in no time and spread in no time. I'm no expert but that's how I look at it. Either way not a bad pond as that was my. first time there
There's thousands of these guys in their, it wii just be a matter of time before the water quality is so bad it won't be able to sustain a trout population. Carp are a very dirty fish the eat a crap a lot, there really no different than a gold fish,if anyone has ever had them in a fish tank knows what I mean.a little pond like that with no water exchange is bound to be doomed.i go their every year for the last 10 and never seen them in their till last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150426_091948.jpg (27.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150426_091859.jpg (32.9 KB, 76 views)
Old 05-04-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1 View Post
There's thousands of these guys in their, it wii just be a matter of time before the water quality is so bad it won't be able to sustain a trout population. Carp are a very dirty fish the eat a crap a lot, there really no different than a gold fish,if anyone has ever had them in a fish tank knows what I mean.a little pond like that with no water exchange is bound to be doomed.i go their every year for the last 10 and never seen them in their till last.
Well I guess we will see how they effect it shortly. I've never caught one before. What's the best way. Do you know how I would go about catching them on a fly rod? What do they eat?
Old 05-04-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Well I guess we will see how they effect it shortly. I've never caught one before. What's the best way. Do you know how I would go about catching them on a fly rod? What do they eat?
I've caught them on small shrimp and scud imitations then turn around and punt them into the field.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:44 PM

My son and I have caught fish there in every month of the year. "Fished Out" that's an excuse to use when u don't catch is all. There are fish in there and just because they won't hit your power bait or cheese in the first two minutes hardly means that the pond is fished out the fish are just a little smarter and a little fuller but they are there.