Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2015, 10:33 AM

Default tournament partner needed

Looking for a tournament partner for this years tournaments at Pinehurst,slave, moose, nipawin. wayne 403-815-1417
Old 03-23-2015, 11:08 AM

Does anybody know the date of the pinehurst tournament?? It hasnt been posted yet on the trail website yet and I would like to plan my tournament season. Any ideas if its the first weekend in june similar to the last couple years?

Have a partner already Cowboy but we will see you on the water

Barbwire
Old 03-23-2015, 06:15 PM

I would love to do nipawin but i dont think i will have the money for it unless i win some decent cash at tue sawt events.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Banned

Just out of curiousity, what are you looking for in a partner? I would imagine that you have a boat that is tourney qualified, but besides sharing entry fees, hotel and food costs what else would be involved? Also would perspective partner have to go to all the tourny's you listed? Never been involved in a tourney at that level.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:26 PM

Default I'm in!!

So long as you don't need someone with any great physical capability (my back is pretty wrecked), or major tournament experience or such pressure fishing expertise (I do watch TFN quite a lot, and I have fished Tobin casually a few times with a guy who lives in Carrot River and has done the Nipawin tournament, as well as on my own). I have observed the Nipawin event ... my ex brother in law from Nipawin "policed" it in his boat for a few years, back a while, and I have fished all the indicated lakes, with mixed success (some pretty good Pike and Walleye at Pinehurst and Nipawin particularly, but usually only when I was with someone who really knew what they were doing). My gear is old, cheap, and "primitive" but I imagine you have much better (?). I have lots of money, whereby the partner share of expenses is not an issue, and I can get the time off, as I am "the boss" in my own business. Always wanted to do such, but just need a " Fishing Sugar Daddy" to take me along (?). Oh, and for media purposes, I have memorized all the cliches in watching TFN, and would be excellent at summarizing our day on the water for such purposes - I can even do an Alabama accent if called for (?). I will just need to acquire the proper sponsored clothing (?). I cannot imagine that you will find a better partner, but... I can handle rejection if necessary.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:24 PM

Are these pike or walleye tournaments? Also what is the series?
I have fished lots of tournaments but nothing since moving west three years ago.

I would like to find some more information but might be interested.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:37 PM

Doing Pinehurst with my kid again, would be tempted to do slave maybe, which one are you doing, Anglers or the Golden??
Old 03-24-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Brown View Post
Are these pike or walleye tournaments? Also what is the series?
I have fished lots of tournaments but nothing since moving west three years ago.

I would like to find some more information but might be interested.
Walleye.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:52 PM

Default Northern Alberta Walleye Trail

http://www.walleyetrail.ca/listings
Old 03-24-2015, 04:23 PM

Sponsors should pay your entry fees and fuel/lodging/bait/food cost no? Just curious.

I realize boats/equipment are either discounted and/or ever only provided in the bigger circuits (and south of the border).

Maybe it's not the same as what I'm used to seeing / hearing about.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Sponsors should pay your entry fees and fuel/lodging/bait/food cost no? Just curious.

I realize boats/equipment are either discounted and/or ever only provided in the bigger circuits (and south of the border).

Very few sponsors are willing to pay your entry fees. Most anglers don't offer enough return on the investment to validate a company giving them money. Sometimes they will help a friend or family member who is just starting out but generally only the top anglers can consistently attract sponsors to help offset the costs of fishing a tournament(s). You fish tournaments for fun, friendship and the competition.
Catching a good bag and winning money or prizes is a bonus, but if your only fishing the tournament to win big money, you might be disappointed.
They are fun, challenging and having fished events for over twenty years, I have built strong friendships and enjoyed the competition.

Fish them to challenge yourself and you will have a great time.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

For those anglers that have sponsors, they usually negotiate their own deals with one or many companies, with a boat sponsor being the main one.

Typical the guys with boat sponsors get a new boat to use every year or two, and then it is sold in the fall when all the tournaments are done.

Rod and reel sponsors will give you a "few" new outfits every year depending on what you have negotiated.

Some guys have bait, lures, gas, rod, reel, sonar, trolling motor, downriggers , clothing, etc., just depends on what you negotiate.

I have never heard of a sponsor paying for lodging and food, but that may happen as well.

Most sponsors obviously want you fishing as many tournaments as possible, as exposure of their product is what they are "paying for". Quite a few of the Promo staff will fish tournaments on the Western Canadian, South and Sask. walleye trails, as well as other single tournaments like the Vanity.

Most all of the Promo staff work the outdoor shows, and do in store promos as well at The Fishing Hole, Bass Pro, and Cabelas etc.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:14 PM

well ............. THERE GOES MY RETIREMENT JOB !!!!! lol

I was just curious how big this is in Western Canada .... I think it would be pretty fun just to participate. My boat would be tournament ready .... but I'd need to catch the fish !!!! that's the trick I guess.

Sorry for the derail.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 AM
Banned

I heard a rumor lately that there is talk that a tournament may rise from the ashes at Faust and once again be a part of the Western Canadian Walleye Trail, and after the demise of the Big River event (recently announced) there may be renewed interest in that tournament. You may remember the unfortunate incident that caused the cancellation of this venue a couple of years ago.

This may be the reason that WeeVill hasn't announced a date; as it stands now there is a gap between what we assume to be the weekend for Pinehurst and the next event at Slave Lake (Angler's Cup). If Faust fills that weekend then there is no need for Virgil et al to change their date. Otherwise they may postpone the season to start on the second weekend of June rather than the first weekend.

This is just speculation on my part but the suspense is killing me! My partner and I are confirmed entrants into Angler's and Moose but are still awaiting word on the others. But in the six years that I have followed the walleye trail, this will be the first season with a familiar partner. All the others have decided that this was not the life for them. Even my good friend and mentor (Walleye Bob) has stopped touring. I was extremely fortunate to participate in the Vanity and the Premier's Cups with Bob so I will go to my grave a happy angler.

A word on the original post; the expense and logistics of taking a month off work and driving what may be as much as 2500 kms is a blip on the radar and hardly worth mentioning if you do not have a committed partner that can and will play at this level of competition. 200+ hours in the boat with a stranger is complicated business. Experienced hands are looking for top level anglers whether it be to share space on my boat or yours? And that is just one tour. Add the Premier's Cup, the Vanity Cup, the Sask. Walleye Trail and SAWT then you are looking at many thousands of dollars in expenses and fees plus lost wages and ZERO family life.

Free
Old 03-25-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
I heard a rumor lately that there is talk that a tournament may rise from the ashes at Faust and once again be a part of the Western Canadian Walleye Trail, and after the demise of the Big River event (recently announced) there may be renewed interest in that tournament. You may remember the unfortunate incident that caused the cancellation of this venue a couple of years ago.
one can hope!

ive been hearing the same rumor for 2 years now.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:03 AM

Seeing as this thread has gone waaayyyyyy off topic, why does everyone love the tournies on Slave lake so much? Yes there are some decent fish there but from what ive seen its not a lake that's going to give up a lot of 7-10+ pound fish. I also know that in Alberta there are very few lakes where a CFE could be obtained. Has anyone tried in the past few years for one on Cold Lake? The lake still has a walleye limit of 3 over 50cm and has some large fish. Is the area biologist dead set against it? I would think he would allow it seeing as there is one on nearby Moose lake which is a lot smaller of a lake. It seems like something the City of Cold Lake could really get behind.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Seeing as this thread has gone waaayyyyyy off topic, why does everyone love the tournies on Slave lake so much? Yes there are some decent fish there but from what ive seen its not a lake that's going to give up a lot of 7-10+ pound fish. I also know that in Alberta there are very few lakes where a CFE could be obtained. Has anyone tried in the past few years for one on Cold Lake? The lake still has a walleye limit of 3 over 50cm and has some large fish. Is the area biologist dead set against it? I would think he would allow it seeing as there is one on nearby Moose lake which is a lot smaller of a lake. It seems like something the City of Cold Lake could really get behind.

It is not a question of Lesser Slave Lake in particular, it is a question of which communities have the support to put on an event. And because Cold Lake is a stone's throw from Bonnyville and the Moose Lake tournament -which is hosted by the Elk Point Lion's Club- has established itself as a good and proper event, then Cold Lake is out, for these purposes.

Free
Old 03-25-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
It is not a question of Lesser Slave Lake in particular, it is a question of which communities have the support to put on an event. And because Cold Lake is a stone's throw from Bonnyville and the Moose Lake tournament -which is hosted by the Elk Point Lion's Club- has established itself as a good and proper event, then Cold Lake is out, for these purposes.

Free
Fair enough, just figured with the lack of lakes big enough to have a tourney and the loss of big river (even though it wasn't a huge draw) that Cold might be a good place to have another one. I know time and weekends is also a concern so the logistics may not have worked. Sounds like its the logistics that are stopping a possible tourney there.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Seeing as this thread has gone waaayyyyyy off topic, why does everyone love the tournies on Slave lake so much? Yes there are some decent fish there but from what ive seen its not a lake that's going to give up a lot of 7-10+ pound fish.
I cant speak for others but I personally love the slave tournaments because they are run very well.

They have a good turnout of established guys that are for the most part great people and good company.

The fishable area is massive so a guy can get away from the bumper boat crowd.

Lastly its usually really competitive...yes not big heavy fish but top half of field is usually really tight and one fish over 5 or 6 lbs can bounce a guy 50 places on the last day and take er home.

Its great fun...with the exception of a few heavily sponsored teams its a terrible career choice...but its a lot of fun.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 PM

Back on topic.....is there ever a thread that stays on topic? I would possibly. P.M. me
Old 03-25-2015, 05:23 PM
Banned

Default Not to put too fine a point on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage.0 View Post
Back on topic.....is there ever a thread that stays on topic? I would possibly. P.M. me
...but clearly you do not know Cowboy. Wayne is a funny human. If he says 'phone me' he means phone him. He couldn't give a pail full of excrement about derailed threads.

Free
Old 03-28-2015, 08:35 AM

Default tournaments

bpp
Old 03-28-2015, 11:22 PM

Thumbs up faust 2016 tourney for May.

Quote:

This may be the reason that WeeVill hasn't announced a date; as it stands now there is a gap between what we assume to be the weekend for Pinehurst and the next event at Slave Lake (Angler's Cup). If Faust fills that weekend then there is no need for Virgil et al to change their date. Otherwise they may postpone the season to start on the second weekend of June rather than the first weekend.

This is just speculation on my part but the suspense is killing me! My partner and I are confirmed entrants into Angler's and Moose but are still awaiting word on the others. But in the six years that I have followed the walleye trail, this will be the first season with a familiar partner. All the others have decided that this was not the life for them. Even my good friend and mentor (Walleye Bob) has stopped touring. I was extremely fortunate to participate in the Vanity and the Premier's Cups with Bob so I will go to my grave a happy angler.

A word on the original post; the expense and logistics of taking a month off work and driving what may be as much as 2500 kms is a blip on the radar and hardly worth mentioning if you do not have a committed partner that can and will play at this level of competition. 200+ hours in the boat with a stranger is complicated business. Experienced hands are looking for top level anglers whether it be to share space on my boat or yours? And that is just one tour. Add the Premier's Cup, the Vanity Cup, the Sask. Walleye Trail and SAWT then you are looking at many thousands of dollars in expenses and fees plus lost wages and ZERO family life.

Free
Well said Freedom 55. Lots of fisherman looking for free tackle and sponsor money. Typical companies look for promotion of their products, event promotion, volunteer for favorite charities. The majority of applicants are denied due to there after hours activities, drugs, alcohol abuse. My boss has certainly seen enough of this and asks all applicants must submit a proposal in writing with references. This is hard work for tournament fisherman.
Vanessa--weehours.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cowboy View Post
Looking for a tournament partner for this years tournaments at Pinehurst,slave, moose, nipawin. wayne 403-815-1417
How did you make out? Wish you lots of luck this season
Old 04-01-2015, 11:18 AM

Default tournaments

bump
Old 04-01-2015, 12:50 PM

Which Slave tourny are you doing Wayne, the Anglers or the Golden??
Old 04-02-2015, 02:11 PM

Default partner

Both
Old 04-05-2015, 10:16 AM

bump
Old 04-11-2015, 03:12 PM

bp
Old 04-11-2015, 03:34 PM

Find anyone for nipiwan? Is it the vanity or premiers?