Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2015, 09:47 AM

Default Dewitt's Pond

Hey all, anyone know if it's too soon to fish at Dewitt's Pond? When does it get stocked?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:51 AM

nose creek pond in airdrie is stocked already not sure about dewitts

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Banned

I was there today with no luck. Might not be using the proper lures though. According to the stock reports it hasn't been stocked since June 2013. Are they still stocking it?
Old 04-10-2015, 04:05 PM

Yes Dewitts is till getting stocked. I was informed today that they will be dumping 600 Browns this year along with the Rainbows. Crosfffield has a pond also.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 04-10-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Yes Dewitts is till getting stocked. I was informed today that they will be dumping 600 Browns this year along with the Rainbows. Crosfffield has a pond also.
sweet, the browns will be fun, any in crossfield being stocked?
Old 04-10-2015, 04:18 PM

Not that I heard of.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 04-11-2015, 01:49 PM

What do you want to bet they have it pretty well fished out by mid June at the latest.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
What do you want to bet they have it pretty well fished out by mid June at the latest.
Went to airdrie pond with my son he is 8 than the wind started blowing and snow started . Boy fished for 45mins . Had to leave dad wimped out lol

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-11-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
x2 too close to canada's 4th largest city lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
Went to airdrie pond with my son he is 8 than the wind started blowing and snow started . Boy fished for 45mins . Had to leave dad wimped out lol
did he have any luck, i still have it hard to believe that airdrie pond got stocked this early
Old 04-12-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Haha, did your son catch anything though?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Great! Do you know when Dewitt's will be stocked?
Old 04-12-2015, 10:06 AM

Did catch anything wind was howling . Another kid there caught one

Old 04-12-2015, 05:38 PM

dewitts will have 600 browns put in there this week and trout stocked the 2nd week of may
Old 04-13-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat111 View Post
dewitts will have 600 browns put in there this week and trout stocked the 2nd week of may
Where are you getting your stock reports from? The report I found was last updated in 2013.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:05 AM

What a waste to stock 600 browns into a fishery that will be fished out in a couple months. Would be nice to see them stocked into a lake where they can grow.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 PM

i agree what a waste cause i noticed the water quality isn't the greatest out there at times so it makes me wonder if they will even survive. i personally would like to see simular BC stocking, like once in the spring and once in the fall instead of two or more stockings in the spring.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
i agree what a waste cause i noticed the water quality isn't the greatest out there at times so it makes me wonder if they will even survive. i personally would like to see simular BC stocking, like once in the spring and once in the fall instead of two or more stockings in the spring.
i think brown trout can tolerate filthy water, maybe why they put them in. But I totally agree that its a waste, the pond looses 75 percent of all the fish usually around the last week of may. But the water gets smelly and looks more like a swamp rather that of a trout pond fishery
Old 04-13-2015, 06:24 PM

Dewits gets stocked in may. And who cares what kind of trout they put in there? It's a put and take fishery. Not much to choose from as far as where to stock trout in the prairies.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Dewits gets stocked in may. And who cares what kind of trout they put in there? It's a put and take fishery. Not much to choose from as far as where to stock trout in the prairies.
They are likely spending more money to stock the browns in and there is way less of them stocked in AB. It would be nice to see them going into a lake with lower limits that wont get fished out/winterkill. I can think of quite a few better lakes to stock them into, lots of choices out there.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 PM

Too many anglers and not enough water. Thats the deal in southern Alberta. Be glad they are stocking anything the way things are going. I would like to see them get big too but just because you think browns are a prettier or more desirable spoecies to rainbows they are both trout and don't cost any more to raise than rainbows. I will be out at dewits when they stock it and will let everyone know if browns actually get stocked and if there is a price differance between rainbows and browns.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:24 PM

The pond has been stocked with 2,000 rainbows every year for the past 4 years. Usually 2 stockings in May and June. Based on water testing by Smoky Trout Farms (Rainbow provider), the water quality has improved every year and is very good now. Likely because of weed pulling in the fall by Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association and a local resident removing some snow with his quad in the winter. Based on the size of fish being caught last year, it appears that it hasn't winter killed in the last 4 years.

The 600 Brown Trout being stocked this week are being provided for free because the provincial hatchery produced an overage.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingWithMelissa View Post
Where are you getting your stock reports from? The report I found was last updated in 2013.
i'm with the airdrie club, we work directly with the farm responsible for stocking the pond
Old 04-14-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWO View Post
The pond has been stocked with 2,000 rainbows every year for the past 4 years. Usually 2 stockings in May and June. Based on water testing by Smoky Trout Farms (Rainbow provider), the water quality has improved every year and is very good now. Likely because of weed pulling in the fall by Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association and a local resident removing some snow with his quad in the winter. Based on the size of fish being caught last year, it appears that it hasn't winter killed in the last 4 years.

The 600 Brown Trout being stocked this week are being provided for free because the provincial hatchery produced an overage.
That's good to hear about the water. HAven't been to dewitts for many years due to the weeds and water quality I just didn't bother. Well I hope the browns last until June at least to provide a mixed bag for all anglers that go there to fish
Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM

i keep seeing people referring to the pond being fished out by the end of may or june, i fish this pond last oct with my son and landed an easy 25-30 rainbows and if memory serves me right last yr it was stocked with 3000 trout, there hasn't been any winter kill in the last 3-4 yrs, right now would be a good time to catch a heathly 2-3 lb rainbow, was on the pond 2 weeks before the ice left and seen tons of fish on the camera, never did seen any of these carp that everyone is talking about but i'm sure there in there.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Too many anglers and not enough water. Thats the deal in southern Alberta. Be glad they are stocking anything the way things are going. I would like to see them get big too but just because you think browns are a prettier or more desirable spoecies to rainbows they are both trout and don't cost any more to raise than rainbows. I will be out at dewits when they stock it and will let everyone know if browns actually get stocked and if there is a price differance between rainbows and browns.
In 2014 there was a grand total of 2450 brown trout put into stocked lakes. Overall there was 2,051,364 trout(vast majority were rainbows) put into stocked lakes. About 0.01% of trout stocked were brown trout so I would say that puts them into a more desirable category.

I understand that there is too many anglers and not enough water but when there are bait ban lakes/lower limit lakes available to stock these fish into they should be. As far as I know you can keep 5 fish any size out of dewitts, with bait allowed. Very poor choice of a place to put those fish...but then again with the current fisheries based decisions taking place I cant say I'm surprised.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat111 View Post
i keep seeing people referring to the pond being fished out by the end of may or june, i fish this pond last oct with my son and landed an easy 25-30 rainbows and if memory serves me right last yr it was stocked with 3000 trout, there hasn't been any winter kill in the last 3-4 yrs, right now would be a good time to catch a heathly 2-3 lb rainbow, was on the pond 2 weeks before the ice left and seen tons of fish on the camera, never did seen any of these carp that everyone is talking about but i'm sure there in there.
Wonder if anyone else has ever had your kind of luck. Sure would like to know what you were using to tie into that many fish at Dewitts.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:50 PM

I fished twice there in 2013 (both in July). Only caught one 6" rainbow each time on a prince nymph flyfishing. Good to know there are some still around in the fall but I must admit I'm quite surprised given how close it is to the city. Really wish they would they would lower the limit on these so they can last more than a weekend. That way more people including kids can enjoy it without having to travel too far.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:10 PM

5 is way to many to keep maybe 2 would be better

Old 04-15-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
5 is way to many to keep maybe 2 would be better
I agree that two would be better. It didn't work at Mt. Lorette though. They reduced it and it still gets fished out in a couple of days.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 AM

Yeah that is likely because people are keeping 2 for each child, the dog, etc. be sure to report if you see any poaching .

If they are going to stock browns in Dewitt's, looking forward to it. I don't live far so might be inclined to take the trip out there soon to see if any rainbows survived the winter.