Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2015, 09:15 AM

Default Lake Newell

Hey guys,
Heading to Kinbrook island later on in may to go camping with a few buddies, anyone fish Newell lately? I know its gone down hill just don't know how bad. Any tips would be appreciated, we would be fishing from shore.
Brandon
Old 05-02-2015, 09:41 AM

I cant imagine that anyone has since its closed till may 8th!
Old 05-02-2015, 10:16 AM

I guess it depends how you define downhill. It fishes well. i doubt you would be too dissapointed
Old 05-02-2015, 01:28 PM

Had probably my best fishing at Newell last year.....ever
Not from shore tho....
Old 05-02-2015, 01:49 PM

Sorry Wes, I didn't mean this year more last couple years. I just heard that it had gone down hill! Never been there before, what are you guys using?
Old 05-02-2015, 01:53 PM

Default Did well last year

Did well boat fishing there last year too. Seems I have talked to several that have said the last few years have still caught a lot of fish. I didn't fish it many years ago so can't compare but the last 5 or so we have we have doe quite well.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:51 PM

awesome, pike more so than walleye or vice versa?
Old 05-02-2015, 03:53 PM

Whitefish should be fishing really well off the dams.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-02-2015, 04:27 PM

What totally confuses me is why walleye draws cant be purchased until may 13th and the season opens on the 8th? Who at f and w came up with that plan. Idiotic...
Old 05-02-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowness View Post
What totally confuses me is why walleye draws cant be purchased until may 13th and the season opens on the 8th? Who at f and w came up with that plan. Idiotic...
Maybe they don't want the walleye season opened on the 8th.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-02-2015, 04:37 PM

Then why state that in the regs???? They are saying one thing and doing another...
Old 05-02-2015, 09:21 PM

Bla bla bla,your guess is as good as mine dealing with gov weather it be hunting or fishing.are you that consumed to kill fish on the so be opener or do you just want to get on the water and go fishing.this is a world class resource on newel for walley if you have the now how weather it be from the shore witch is doable fore over size eyes,if you no the timing and were.if not hire a guide if you want to slay and kill.educate yourself like anything else man.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:25 PM

Sorry i didnt post the previouse poster but shes preatty plain,sorry bowness but it's as plain as two dogs FU...ck..in. What the deal is here.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon View Post
Sorry Wes, I didn't mean this year more last couple years. I just heard that it had gone down hill! Never been there before, what are you guys using?
We did really good last year for pike on the southwest side casting no2 Len thompsons black and white and red and white were the ticket. Go into big and little Rainer draws and you will find them
Old 05-03-2015, 12:41 PM

Thanks buckwheat
Old 05-03-2015, 12:59 PM

Default Mostly pike

We caught mostly pike with a few walleyes. Troll mostly there so probably more odds of pike as well. There are a lot of whites and perch in there too but you need to do some work to find the good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon View Post
awesome, pike more so than walleye or vice versa?
Old 05-03-2015, 01:30 PM

Sweet, unfortunately we can only fish off shore though.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
Bla bla bla,your guess is as good as mine dealing with gov weather it be hunting or fishing.are you that consumed to kill fish on the so be opener or do you just want to get on the water and go fishing.this is a world class resource on newel for walley if you have the now how weather it be from the shore witch is doable fore over size eyes,if you no the timing and were.if not hire a guide if you want to slay and kill.educate yourself like anything else man.
Speaking of educate,, careful with rocks in your glass house pal,, worst piece of writing ever
Old 05-03-2015, 04:29 PM

Default Bla bla bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
"Weather " you are educated or not is irrelevant. I am simply asking a question about the way an agency of our government runs a money producing draw. I dont mind paying the money. I would do the same for pike if they did it in the lake. WTF is wrong with killing a few fish? Fish and wildlife "managers" went from a three a day limit on pike over 63 cm to zero in three years. I like to eat a pike when I'm out camping at Newell. I know, I'm the devil reborn... We are back to what I always see on this site, elitist catch and release arrogance.

PS your spelling is worst than my grade 6 students...I see who needs to be educated. Are you 12?
Old 05-03-2015, 04:31 PM

What is wrong with you? I dont understand anything in that post. Are you drunk?
Old 05-04-2015, 05:34 PM

Last year I regularly fished SE corner where the lake goes under the gravel road and becomes the reservoir. Red Devil & Five of Diamonds from shore = pike!!
Old 05-04-2015, 08:19 PM

any lake with an exploding walleye population will eat itself out of house and home, check the lakes with a collapsed pike population, travers, pigeon,McGregor and now Newell .