Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2015, 08:20 AM

Default Braided line question

So I thought I’d ask… I’m having some problems with my braid line. I normally have 3 spools ready to go at all times in my fishing bag. My braided line is giving me problems. It seems when its cold out, I’ll cast out, and when I start reeling in, my braid will just spin round and round on the spool, it wont wrap around. Not sure if I’m making sense, hope I am. When it’s warm out I have no problems. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?
Old 05-03-2015, 08:58 AM

This can happen with the smooth super lines.

Remove the line from the arbor, and tie a new, tighter knot from the line to the arbor. Wrap the line around the arbor 5 times, then place a 3/4" piece of electrical tape over the wraps, on the arbor. When you spool the rest of the line back on, it should go on tightly over the electrical tape. This will give it something to grab onto and will stop the slippage.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:48 AM

A couple things would help - putting on a few yards of mono/dacron backing and then using a double uni knot to attach the backing to the braid and spooling the rest up OR as mentioned, a little hockey tape after a few wraps and then spool the rest on.

Make sure you are spooling tight (and spooling from the proper direction if using a spinning reel) .....that's are important things to remember with all fishing lines.

It's not uncommon for this to happen.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:49 AM

it's because you have no backing. It's a simple fix. When your reel is bare start spooling with monofilament line, a few wraps, then tie line to line (the mono to braid) and spool up with your braid. It will never slip again.

I used braid on all my reels, Berkley fire line crystal is the best IMO and every one has a mono backing, my bait casters and spinning reels. I do this for the sole purpose of preventing the braid from slipping.

Cheers

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 05-03-2015, 02:01 PM

Ah, thanks for the tips... lmao I thought maybe I was going crazy, and so far this has been costly, respooling a few times, trying to figure it out.

I'll give this 'backing' a try, I'm betting it's been my problem the whole time. Thanks again guys!!!
Old 05-03-2015, 02:06 PM

one wrap of electrical tape before you tie your line to the spool will also work.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:42 PM

I use the mono as backing instead of any kind of tape. I find that tape leaves gunk inside your spool and eventually on your line....makes a mess IMHO.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 05-03-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
I use the mono as backing instead of any kind of tape. I find that tape leaves gunk inside your spool and eventually on your line....makes a mess IMHO.
depends on the tape.

i wrap 4-5 times around the spool, then put a strip of scotch tape down. no issues since.

when i have despooled, there was no residue from the tape.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:09 PM

I use hockey tape ..... you don't ever see any residue because you are not often getting spooled to your backing.

When it's time to do a complete re-spool - a little alcohol takes care of business - and it works good on getting any residue off too. lol.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:55 PM

I had issues with that while icefishing the cold will make the spool on the reel shrink . Now before I wind a spool I put in the freezer for an hour or so this shrinks it up then wind on line when spool warms it is super tight have not had an issue since.

Mack
Old 05-04-2015, 10:50 AM

I prefer mono backing, but each to their own.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.