Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 01:44 PM

Default Carbon monoxide from boat

Don't know how to figure out how to post a link to a story. Very sad and totally unexpected. This happened I believe a few days ago or just released. Out of Broken Arrow, Oklahoma on Lake Eufaula. 9 yr. old boy dies of carbon monoxide poisoning at back of boat. Maybe someone can find a link to post. Something to think about when boating. Story is kinda long but well worth a read
" Mom Shares Warning After 9-Year-Old Dies From Boat’s Carbon Monoxide Emissions"BROKEN ARROW, Okla. - A grieving mom thought her nine-year-old son drowned on Lake Eufaula, only to learn he actually passed out from carbon monoxide.
Cassi Free said when she was told her son died from drowning, she knew there had to be more to the story. After getting the autopsy results, she learned he had a deadly amount of carbon monoxide in his system that was emitted from the back of their boat."
Old 09-19-2020, 01:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

https://www.newson6.com/story/5f6177...xide-emissions

Very sad....enclosed area with anything running must have the CO detector in place.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2020, 01:56 PM

This article could even be in the General Discussion but figured boats and fishing go together. We spend many many hours on the lake. Gotta rethink when I put the big top cover and side windows on.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:19 PM

What a tragedy.

I have never heard of this before - always thought there would be enough ventilation.

Reminds me of the guys somewhere in the US, went ice fishing, were using a tent, running a heater, two guys fell asleep, never to awaken.

Terrible.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:12 PM

Unreal never would have thought CO poisoning would be a possibility from a boat.

Hard to wrap my head around how a boat could do that. I know some of the bigger wake type boats burn a crazy amount of fuel but even so it seems like a 1 in a billion type scenario. Condolences to the family involved.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:30 AM

I bought a new Smokercraft this year with warning labels on it to be aware of this poisonous gas. First time I ever thought about it.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:25 PM

A tragedy for sure. Wondering how that happened - no blower on while idling? My boats manual says to run blower for 4 min before starting and always when bellow cruising speed. Thought its overkill, guess need to take it seriously?
Old 09-20-2020, 12:56 PM

It happened to a person i knew. It seems like they where getting ropes or skies out or in with the motor idling. Working on the swim platform and succumb to the gas fell in and drowned.
Sad for the family for sure.