Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2019, 09:43 AM

From when I installed screw down metal roofs the problem is that you either have to strap the roof with 2x4’s when the roof is sheathed with osb or you need to sheath the roof with 3/4” plywood otherwise the screws will tear out and it will leak.

As for standing seams roofs, I have yet to see those in residential use. You only see those in commercial/industrial buildings, if one wanted a standing seam roof one would have to get a commercial contractor specializing in those to order and install which would be expensive.

If you’re worried about corrosion use galvanized fasteners, they do make them.

Over torquing the fasteners can be a problem but if you’re doing it yourself just take your time or buy the correct tool if you’re really worried, it’ll cost $300-$500 depending on if you want corded or cordless.

There’s more to worry about when installing so that’s why companies specialize in installing, if installed correctly they’re great if not installed correctly it’s a nightmare.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:46 PM

We built out boathouse with a standing seam roof. It has no sheathing at all.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:27 AM

After talking with my buildings guy, he figures your price on a standing seam roof would be about double that of a screw down. I didn’t know you can get standing seam roofs outside of pre-eng building manufacturers.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:51 PM

As far as I know this is standing-seam:

“Concealed/Semi-concealed Fastener”

http://westmansteel.com/products/roofing/
Old 06-19-2019, 02:37 AM

Hi. The issue of corrosion protection of fasteners the most violations with galvanized steel structures. There should be a full correspondence between standing seam , the protection against corrosion of rivets and screws in comparison with the other structural elements. The service life of a hot zinc coating is determined by thickness. If you have more question do not hesitate to contact me!