Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 09:21 AM

Default 2 Way Radio's

To all who have 2 Way Hand Held Radio communication devices (Walkies). Need some good advice on which ones you have had success with and lasted with decent range in the forested areas as well as on lakes (open areas). Do not want to break the bank though. I'm in Calgary and need to know where to buy? I can order on-line but then tried and true results. Let me know your thoughts? Appreciate all your input. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 AM

I got the Motorola talkabout 3 pack a few years ago at Costco for like $100 or something and still use them till today. All the 2 way radios claim XX Km’s but in reality the distance for transmitting is much shorter due to obstructions. In the bush it’s about 6-7km max. On an open lake it’ll be much better. The key is to use lithium AA batteries to max the performance of the radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2019, 09:50 AM

Any of the radio sets you get will be very limited range. Even the most powerful that I can find are only good for about a mile in dense bush. Have never been able to get a set that would go even 3 miles as they are all pretty much direct line of site. On open prairie or a lake, 10 miles is probably doable, but not with obstructions. Your cell phone will work far better as long as you have service.

If you are working where there is no cell service get VHS marine type handhelds. They will give you the best range, clarity and the like but they aren't cheap. A 25 watt base in the truck with external antenna will help maximize range, biggest handheld I could find was 10 watts, which is more than 4 times most of the typical consumer handhelds you can buy.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-16-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:16 AM

I have a set of Cobra Micro Talks. They are pretty well made and dependable but the range is limited to no more than 2 miles in less than near ideal conditions and unreliable in heavy bush or hilly terrain. Never did try to establish the max range under ideal conditions. In any event, I wouldn't be depending on them for emergency communication, but it sure wont hurt to carry one.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:33 AM

Sorry, just checked the handheld, it is actually 6 watts max. Will transmit on 1, 3 or 6 watt. Fixed unit is max 25 like I thought..
Old 06-16-2019, 11:26 AM

Anatckresouces. Don. Motorola. 5 or 6 watt 350 but great 5 miles in the bush
Old 06-16-2019, 11:40 AM

No help here... but radios are my daily nightmare. Need one for my job. The childish gibberish, and complaining that goes on throughout the day drives me insane. There are about 10 of us on the same channel. I can't turn it off, as I need to be accessible. If I could, I would. Sorry for my rant!
Old 06-16-2019, 12:23 PM

We use a set of Cobra floating FRS/GMRS around the campsite and lake. Good enough for this purpose. Also has NOAA radio on them. Bought them at Visions on sale. Also Canadian Tire sells them.
Ours has lots of channels, and sub channels so shouldn't be a problem finding a quite frequency. Along with a call option, and several other features. Should be able to find something in your budget, but yes, terrain plays a huge factor with this low power radios.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:35 PM

Check out the Baofeng lineup of 2ways. Higher wattage and more features. I have ordered close to 30 of the GT-5TP versions and the UV-5R radios. These radios can be up to 8 watts. You can also order the extended range antennas for them. I have had the Motorolas and Cobras and will never go back.
You can order online thru Amazon, eBay, Kijiji etc. There might also be a Calgary dealer near you for programming help.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyguy View Post
Check out the Baofeng lineup of 2ways. Higher wattage and more features. I have ordered close to 30 of the GT-5TP versions and the UV-5R radios. These radios can be up to 8 watts. You can also order the extended range antennas for them. I have had the Motorolas and Cobras and will never go back.
You can order online thru Amazon, eBay, Kijiji etc. There might also be a Calgary dealer near you for programming help.
We have Baofeng UV-5R radios. Took one on my trip up to Tuktoyaktuk, and had a big antenna made for it. Was able to talk to truckers way out there. Don't know where they were, as it was a long way between towns and didn't see anyone on the road. With the small truck antenna, it still reaches quite a way. Was able to talk to the wife with just the rubber duck 9 km though the bush, as the crow flies. It was a bit weak but I was impressed. That was just on a family channel. I think they are 4 Watts IIRC.

Nice that they are also capable of amateur channels 2 meter. Get licensed and you can probably get on a bit longer wavelength for more range.

I'd like to try one of the truck radios. I don't recall the brand; QYT 8900 (?), but I've heard good things about them.

The Baofeng are easy to program if you have Chirp, and a list of channels, and wire. Bigger batteries and truck chargers are available too. I'd never bother with one of those blister packs, after these. Maybe not as many features, but they are competing head to head with radios costing many times more.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-17-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
We have Baofeng UV-5R radios. Took one on my trip up to Tuktoyaktuk, and had a big antenna made for it. Was able to talk to truckers way out there. Don't know where they were, as it was a long way between towns and didn't see anyone on the road. With the small truck antenna, it still reaches quite a way. Was able to talk to the wife with just the rubber duck 9 km though the bush, as the crow flies. It was a bit weak but I was impressed. That was just on a family channel. I think they are 4 Watts IIRC.

Nice that they are also capable of amateur channels 2 meter. Get licensed and you can probably get on a bit longer wavelength for more range.

I'd like to try one of the truck radios. I don't recall the brand; QYT 8900 (?), but I've heard good things about them.

The Baofeng are easy to program if you have Chirp, and a list of channels, and wire. Bigger batteries and truck chargers are available too. I'd never bother with one of those blister packs, after these. Maybe not as many features, but they are competing head to head with radios costing many times more.
The Baofeng radios are ham radios that you are using illegally if you are not licensed. They just happen to have a lot of extra frequencies that most North American manufacturers don't put into their radios. So far the government hasn't clamped down on their sale to non licensed people yet but it is coming.

Now having said that "Official statement" they are great radios. Most people don't understand the difference between AM and FM radio transmissions.

AM will always beat FM for transmission distance. AM can curve the transmission wave signals to bounce off clouds etc and hug the earth. CB radios are AM and it is not uncommon to hear stories of two truckers talking to each other 40-80 miles away.

FM radio transmissions are line of sight only. If there are objects in the middle between them then that distance will be shorter. FM radio transmission can be bounced off a physical object in the air like the moon but can not be bounced off the ionosphere or clouds etc and thus can not go great distances.

Ever notice that most FM radio stations distance is about 1 to 1.5 hours travel time at the most when you are traveling on the road. They have huge wattage and their broadcast towers are hundreds of feet in the air. They compensate for the curvature of the earth with their height.

AM radio stations can be heard for hundreds of miles. In fact I can get 630 CHED outside lethbridge no problem which is 6 hours away from Edmonton.

GMRS and FRS have been popular the last decade because they need no license and are easy to use. They are FM so as others have stated you might get 2-4 km in the bush at most.

Baofeng radios are also FM but they have more wattage than gmrs/frs radios and thus will go a bit further with the transmitted distance but nothing like an AM radio.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
No help here... but radios are my daily nightmare. Need one for my job. The childish gibberish, and complaining that goes on throughout the day drives me insane. There are about 10 of us on the same channel. I can't turn it off, as I need to be accessible. If I could, I would. Sorry for my rant!
Not a radio problem. That’s an employee problem.. lol. Don’t blame the tool. Blame the other tools..
Old 06-17-2019, 09:32 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I will check into few for sure. Will also keep an eye on the watts. The Baofeng sounds like possibly the way to go. When you say you need a licence, are you talking specific for Ham radio or a CB number
Old 06-17-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Try 25 on the same channel, it's brutal. I can't turn mine off either, but I often wish I could. Did I say often? I meant always.

I just recently got the Motorola 3 pack for like $95 at Best Buy, very basic, gets around 2km range in the bush which is perfect for how myself and partners hunt, been great so far but haven't really used them much besides a bit of spring Bear hunting.

Last edited by DRE75; 06-17-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I will check into few for sure. Will also keep an eye on the watts. The Baofeng sounds like possibly the way to go. When you say you need a licence, are you talking specific for Ham radio or a CB number
Amateur Radio Operator License. If you know basic electronics you shouldn't have much problem passing the basic qualifications exam.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:52 AM

Baeofeng...just went to their website and I don’t see any radios listed.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:07 AM

amazon is the best place to buy the baoefeng radios
Old 06-17-2019, 12:37 PM

Last time I was shopping for radios, Midland came up high on the list. At the time, they weren't as easy to find in Canada as they are now - might want to read up on the reviews for those.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:51 PM

Ok I found quite a bit of info on the beoufeng radios. They sound um....
Complicate to use. Am I wrong in this thinking?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:21 PM

There is a bajillion YouTube videos about them, not as simple as your run of the mill 2ways but once you understand them they are easy to use. I still think a 2way with lithium batteries is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2019, 10:38 PM

I took the day off, otherwise would have responded with more info. Mine gets about 7-10km range. It's a Kenwood. Never paid much attention to it. I can update tomorrow with model. Stupid thing....
Old 06-17-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Not a radio problem. That’s an employee problem.. lol. Don’t blame the tool. Blame the other tools..
Agreed. Grown men acting like 6yr olds because it's over the radio. They'd never say the same things to someone's face...
Old 06-18-2019, 12:08 AM

Can anyone tell me where I can get the longer antenna for the beoufeng radios?

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 06-18-2019, 12:15 AM

https://www.radioddity.com/

Everything comes from China but they are great to deal with. Shipping is about 7-10 days.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
The Baofeng radios are ham radios that you are using illegally if you are not licensed. They just happen to have a lot of extra frequencies that most North American manufacturers don't put into their radios. So far the government hasn't clamped down on their sale to non licensed people yet but it is coming.

Now having said that "Official statement" they are great radios. Most people don't understand the difference between AM and FM radio transmissions.

AM will always beat FM for transmission distance. AM can curve the transmission wave signals to bounce off clouds etc and hug the earth. CB radios are AM and it is not uncommon to hear stories of two truckers talking to each other 40-80 miles away.

FM radio transmissions are line of sight only. If there are objects in the middle between them then that distance will be shorter. FM radio transmission can be bounced off a physical object in the air like the moon but can not be bounced off the ionosphere or clouds etc and thus can not go great distances.

Ever notice that most FM radio stations distance is about 1 to 1.5 hours travel time at the most when you are traveling on the road. They have huge wattage and their broadcast towers are hundreds of feet in the air. They compensate for the curvature of the earth with their height.

AM radio stations can be heard for hundreds of miles. In fact I can get 630 CHED outside lethbridge no problem which is 6 hours away from Edmonton.

GMRS and FRS have been popular the last decade because they need no license and are easy to use. They are FM so as others have stated you might get 2-4 km in the bush at most.

Baofeng radios are also FM but they have more wattage than gmrs/frs radios and thus will go a bit further with the transmitted distance but nothing like an AM radio.
Thanks, I took my test a long time ago, but did not get certified.

I'm a little foggy on the rules, and recall hearing something about the rules on it. My understanding of it was that if you were not in the amateur band, that it was all good. Just like having emergency channels programmed. Not allowed to use them, but you won't get penalized if you have to as matter of life or death.

Neither the States or Canada, are super militant on radio rules. Operators will do some policing on it, and there is the potential to get into big fines with repeat (ha, ha) offenders. There are thousands of those radios around just around here, and the vast majority of people use properly, so they stay off the radar. Mostly for road channels.

As with anything, a little common sense goes a long way. I wouldn't worry about what the radio is capable of (just my scoff law opinion), just as long as it's used courteously, and properly as licensing allows. I do recommend that everyone take their basic, at least. I might follow my own advice on that..
I was a bit involved with ham, as far as assisting friends, and setting up a repeater in Port Clements (which I believe set a record for transmission distance with 5 Watts... reached Rupert any way).

The community is great, and having the skills, equipment, and network is a great prep.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:38 PM

The Baofeng doesn't need a license to listen to, but you need a license to transmit. Having a license gives you a callsign, with a call sign you can use a repeater, with a repeater your little 5 watt handheld with a 12 inch whip can talk to people 100 km away.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
The Baofeng doesn't need a license to listen to, but you need a license to transmit. Having a license gives you a callsign, with a call sign you can use a repeater, with a repeater your little 5 watt handheld with a 12 inch whip can talk to people 100 km away.
So just a question on the "call sign", Would that be a number and a name?
Old 06-22-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
So just a question on the "call sign", Would that be a number and a name?
Your callsign is a series of letters and numbers given to you by the federal government when you pass your amateur radio license exam. You use it to identify yourself and so people listening know who you are. It is illegal to transmit on amateur radio bands without one unless you are accompanied by someone who is licensed, kind of like using a firearm.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:35 PM

I have been curious about these for some time.

Is there a course you actually take to become an operator or is it all online type stuff now a days?
Old 06-22-2019, 12:47 PM

So would XM3213711 be my number and the name "Ressurection" be what I need. Had this years ago when running CB radio. If so do they ever expire?