Default FlatIron Construction Corp.

Anyone work for Flatiron here?
if so, good/bad? etc etc
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 AM

From the Flatiron website:

In 2007: HOCHTIEF acquires Flatiron and enters U.S. civil construction market
=======================================

This is what I know about HOCTIEF.

HOCHTIEF is a German Company who also acquired Turner Construction Company prior to the Flatiron Acquisition. I worked for Turner on the East Coast in the States from 1998 to 2009 and having HOCHTIEF as our parent company did not take anything away from the way Turner previously operated. We were probably stronger with HOCHTIEF behind us so as far as them being a solvent company I actually had considered going to work for Flat Iron when I came to Alberta BUT it would have meant a move that I knew my husband did not really want to make, would have taken him far away from family etc.

I would browse their website to see the projects they have completed. You may very well know some contractor who has worked on one of the projects or is currently and that would be the best people to ask. If a General Contractor treats his subcontractors decent, they will treat their employees decent. If they trash their subs the people might not get trashed but I would not work for them. 30 years in residential and commercial construction I never worked for a crooked owner, Project Manager, etc and the jobs we completed were a testament to that.

Their company history says they were founded in 1947. That says something for them as long as they are not making their money off the backs of good subs.

That's my two cents. Since they are online they are showing a lot of what they have done in the past. Depending on the type of work you are looking to do for them you may know some subcontractors who have worked for them. That would be their best reference, in my opinion. Wish you well and just don't tell me how great they treat you..........and how wonderful the health insurance is and how great the Christmas Bonus is and how many paid holidays and vacation days you get ..................I could not stand it................kidding - I truly wish you well. If I find out anything else on them will let you know but I am banking you will find someone on here who either has worked for them, knows someone who knows a sub who has worked for them, etc. and you will get what you need to know.

Second thought they have 2,500 employees, a fantastic training program listed on their website. They are mirroring Turner Construction very closely in that regard. I would apply and I do not think you will be unhappy as long as you understand where the job may take you.

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 AM

wow thanks!
I just did orientation today and got on with the union. I'm
pretty sure i will be happy here. Currently building the NE Anthony Henday
section, will take 4 years.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping4life View Post
wow thanks!
I just did orientation today and got on with the union. I'm
pretty sure i will be happy here. Currently building the NE Anthony Henday
section, will take 4 years.
CLAC is not actually a true union, as the executive and stewards are appointed by the companies, not the members themselves.

The members also do not vote on their conntracts, which members of the Alberta Building Trades Unions do.
Cat
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
CLAC is not actually a true union, as the executive and stewards are appointed by the companies, not the members themselves.

The members also do not vote on their conntracts, which members of the Alberta Building Trades Unions do.
Cat
CLAC had to be THE MOST USELESS union on earth. If your in camp with other companies and unions do not wear anything with CLAC on it as you will get harassed. A brawl almost erupted in camp in fort mac as some guy loved CLAC and wore a hat, sweater etc into the cafeteria, he was never liked much after that
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .308 View Post
CLAC had to be THE MOST USELESS union on earth. If your in camp with other companies and unions do not wear anything with CLAC on it as you will get harassed. A brawl almost erupted in camp in fort mac as some guy loved CLAC and wore a hat, sweater etc into the cafeteria, he was never liked much after that
i disagree and thanks for the story...
Old 10-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
tell us why you disagree.I have often wondered about that so called union after finning cat wanted that union,you know something is fishy when a company is willing to go to court to get a union of their choice.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
It isn't flat iron, but the only company that ever reneged on a agreement and owes me a couple grand is a clac company.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
It isn't flat iron, but the only company that ever reneged on a agreement and owes me a couple grand is a clac company.
I didn't know CLAC owned companies (sarcasm).

Maybe you got stiffed by a company whose employees are represented by CLAC though - but that's a much different thing, isn't it ?

NOTE: I am not affiliated with CLAC in any official way. But I do know a good number of their executive, reps, and even a few stewards. Some of them are good friends of mine. They are good people and I get a little miffed at all the untruths and "urban myths" spread about them.

If they weren't a "real union" (sorry Cat - you know me and where I'm coming from ), how did they ever get accredited as such by various governments - even in Saskatchewan now?

Now if anyone wants to know about a useless union I can point to the one my wife is a member of
Old 10-14-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Anyone work for Flatiron here?
if so, good/bad? etc etc
I know a little about Flatiron. I have no qualms about saying it's a good company to work for - if you are willing to work . My son-in-law worked for them for a little while while waiting for his CF contract to come through. He'd go back to them if he wanted out of the CF.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:29 PM

I'm hauling the material into that project. I'm driving the red cat truck with a quad.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
I didn't know CLAC owned companies (sarcasm).

Maybe you got stiffed by a company whose employees are represented by CLAC though - but that's a much different thing, isn't it ?
Not really as the clac rep would not even return phone calls.(no sarcasm)
Old 10-14-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Not really as the clac rep would not even return phone calls.(no sarcasm)
Why would you be calling a CLAC rep if you have an issue with a company that owes you money?

Honestly, I'm just curious - and confused . Were you doing a job / contract for CLAC itself and they didn't pay?

There has to be more to this story.

OP - sorry for the derail.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Why would you be calling a CLAC rep if you have an issue with a company that owes you money?

Honestly, I'm just curious - and confused . Were you doing a job / contract for CLAC itself and they didn't pay?

calling the union rep is the proper thing to do if you are represented by a real union
Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
I'm hauling the material into that project. I'm driving the red cat truck with a quad.

Andy
I'm up working on the North Manning/167 ave area.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 PM

Default Hochtief

Hochtief owns Turner Construction, largest US building contractor, Flatiron, and now Turner owns 51% of Clark Builders. Doing a P3 project with them, first class group.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:

In a real union if you're owed money by a company, your union fights to get it for you. If your CLAC representative won't even return your call or fight to get you what's owed......What do you really have? Not all unions are perfect but they're better than no representation at all.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD View Post
In a real union if you're owed money by a company, your union fights to get it for you. If your CLAC representative won't even return your call or fight to get you what's owed......What do you really have? Not all unions are perfect but they're better than no representation at all.
if your rep will not file a grievance he can be charged with unfair representation this is a fairly series charge and easy to prove.Imagine if you had a lawyer representing you and he was in bed with the crown attorny!!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I'm up working on the North Manning/167 ave area.
That where I'm delivering to site 16. I have the red cat truck pulling a quad.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD View Post
First off,,,,,,if you work clac or 955 or whatever,,your just a person out there trying to make a descent living for yourself and your family and anyone who looks down on either is a goof. second off with all the government intervention making sure everyone is treated fairly the only representation anyone should need would be that of your own work ethic. only the weak and lazy need protection that you are made to pay for, everyone else will be just fine on their own
Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444 marlin View Post
if your rep will not file a grievance he can be charged with unfair representation this is a fairly series charge and easy to prove.Imagine if you had a lawyer representing you and he was in bed with the crown attorny!!
Like I said, there's gotta be more to the story .
Besides, there are 'higher ups' to go to in the union if a rep isn't doing his / her job. The 'higher ups' won't stand for that kind of stuff.

Just sayin'.