Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-14-2018, 01:04 PM

Default Finding the worth of a firearm before to sell

Hello,

I'm considering selling a Sako hunter 306 (lefty) with a Zeiss 3-9x42 on it. I purchased it 3 years ago and it's in a great shape.

I'm not sure how to estimate the value of it. Could anyone give me hints for that?

Thank you
Old 10-14-2018, 01:14 PM

Couple questions to clarify:

What model Zeiss scope? Terra? Conquest?
Is it a 30.06 or 308?

Depending on condition, roughly $2000-$2100. Probably up a little if it carries a Zeiss Conquest and down a little if it is a Zeiss Terra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 01:19 PM

Look on here for similar models obviously, you can also check out CGN and other forums to find prices.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-14-2018, 01:39 PM

Take some pictures. You may have the opinion that your 306 is in good shape, but the buyer may be of a different opinion depending on how much care you put into maintaining working order. How many 306 rounds have been through it?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 PM

Google is your friend.
Search CGN and other CANADIAN gun classifieds to see what others are getting(asking) for the same model(s) and go from there.
If it’s in Excellent/as new condition,low round count/no scratches etc,I’d expect to pay around 75-80% of MSRP for the rifle and would value the scope at around 50% of new MSRP if it’s together as a package,maybe a wee bit more if I was buying a used scope on its own.
Optics tend to depreciate relatively quickly compared to rifles,I find it’s a hard sell to get anywhere near what you paid for a scope after 2-3 years unless it’s REALLY high end optics and even then you’re gonna take a beating.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:08 AM

around 2000
Old 10-31-2018, 07:49 AM

As a 3-9x42, it is either a Terra, or an older scope,, so I would consider $2000 on the high end, even in what I would call excellent condition, which is used, but no scratches or dents.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
As a 3-9x42, it is either a Terra, or an older scope,, so I would consider $2000 on the high end, even in what I would call excellent condition, which is used, but no scratches or dents.
If your unsure of the value, read post #2 it should help you out. Having had one myself, I would say he is not far off.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
If your unsure of the value, read post #2 it should help you out. Having had one myself, I would say he is not far off.
Given that we don't know the exact scope model, or even the series as in 75 or 85, and no pictures were posted to determine the condition, I am as sure of the value as you are. Great shape, does not mean the same to everyone. And I have owned several Sako rifles myself.