Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-19-2018, 11:50 AM

Default jigging rap rod setup

Good day fellas, New to the forum! I am just getting into the jigging raps and I recently purchased a rod but I want to make sure it’ll do the job for what I use it for. I am usually gonna use size 7 and 9 Rapala jigging raps. the rod is a Quantum Accurist PT Spinning Rod (6’6" 1/8 - 1/4 lure Medium-Heavy 6 - 14 test).

The question I have is that the lure rating is way lighter than what I will use it for but from my understanding you want a medium to medium heavy rod for jigging raps? Does the lure and line rating matter when using it for jigging raps? I will hardly never be casting with the rod as well.

any suggestion on other rods would be greatly appreciated aswell

Look forward to your response.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:22 PM

From what I've seen, ML to M is more common. I think MH is too stiff, especially at 6 foot 6. Remember that the line rating on your rod is likely for mono.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nategsp View Post
Good day fellas, New to the forum! I am just getting into the jigging raps and I recently purchased a rod but I want to make sure it’ll do the job for what I use it for. I am usually gonna use size 7 and 9 Rapala jigging raps. the rod is a Quantum Accurist PT Spinning Rod (6’6" 1/8 - 1/4 lure Medium-Heavy 6 - 14 test).

The question I have is that the lure rating is way lighter than what I will use it for but from my understanding you want a medium to medium heavy rod for jigging raps? Does the lure and line rating matter when using it for jigging raps? I will hardly never be casting with the rod as well.

any suggestion on other rods would be greatly appreciated aswell

Look forward to your response.
What I fish with is st croix MH 7' with a fast tip.The fast tip allows for a nice pop off the bottom.Braid for main line barrel swivel with a piece of monofilament for a leader the mono gives you the bit of stretch that I believe is required, I do a lot of casting with the jigging raps and slow trolling popping it of the bottom as I go.Im new to this method so maybe others could chime in this is what I've been doing the last couple years and have done well.love it when you go to snap jig it and it nothing but solid weight ,don't be shy to use 12 or 14 pound mono with any of the jigging raps there heavy I don't exactly finesse fish with them and you'll be glad you did when you hook up to that monster. GOOD LUCK
Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 PM

My preferred setup is a 7’-7’3” MH with a fast action for the #9 raps, and a 6’8”-7’ M Fast for the smaller raps and shiver minnows. I’m looking for something with backbone that has the power to horse them in a little, but it also has to have some flex with a soft tip that isn’t “whippy”. It also has to have a SUPER comfortable handle/reel seat, because you’re going to be ripping it up and down for 8 hrs, and if it doesn’t, even the smallest thing will make you hate life after an hour.

I’ve tried A LOT of setups and rods. I’ve settled on the Shimano Zodias in 73MHF and 7MF, both with a 2500 size Stradic CI4. The Zodias with the Spiral X wrap blank construction just has by far the best flex characteristics of any rod I tried. It’s the perfect blend of power and action, always flexes straight/true, and there’s no whip in the tip. They aren’t cheap though. The Clarus series works well too at a much lower price.

I use 10lb Power Pro Super Slick as my main line, then attach a 3-5 ft leader of 15-20 lb fluourcarbon using a barrel swivel. The heavy fluoro is strong, abrasion resistant, and most important, the stiffness keeps the rap from fouling itself on the line all the time. I’ll use 12lb fluoro on my lighter setup.

The stiffness and lack of stretch in my setups is why I like a longer rod and a drag that just slips on a hard pull. I’ve found that you want to keep it pretty tight and keep the fight short, the longer they have to flip that rap around the more chance they’re coming unbuttoned.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:05 PM

7ft medium light is the preferred setup for jigging raps/shiver minnows

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2018, 09:24 PM

The lure ratings on most rods would eliminate even the most common mid sized spoon .... as a result ......... I do use this rating as a basic reference - but that's it - I will still cast or jig a heavier lure compared to the range indicated on the rod.

Don't get too hung up on the lure rating - the weight, action, speed of the rod itself followed by the line rating are far more important factors to consider before the lure weight rating imo.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:04 AM
Banned

IMO a jigging rod is probably going to be different for a lot of people. I personally use about a 5 1/2 ft (6-10lb.) St. Croix Legend Tournament rod as for me jigging is all about the feel and the shorter the rod the better the feel. Some people like longer or softer action rods so they can see the rod tip bend, not really a right or wrong way just what YOU like the best.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:48 PM

Great info for what you need is in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq13qjG7-Kw