Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 06:06 PM

Default Cnn trophy

Just a thumbs up . CNN will be showing a documentary on trophy hunting this coming Sunday night 9pm (assuming eastern time). I caught a quick clip today regarding some guy states side who has a variety of african animals on his land and you can pay to hunt. Obviously the reporting was not favourable.
I would imagine Sunday's show will be slanted in it's reporting.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:30 PM

Don't you just love CNN!
Old 01-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Banned

Here you go: http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/us/tro...ion/index.html
Old 01-12-2018, 06:50 PM

Reading thru the article, it's easy to pick up on CNN's slant on trophy hunting. What ever happened to unbiased news reporting? I honestly feel we are in for an ugly battle on the horizon with these anti hunting groups. I still blame social media, most people were unaware this hunting was even going on, now its plastered all over the web. Not good!
Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
Reading thru the article, it's easy to pick up on CNN's slant on trophy hunting. What ever happened to unbiased news reporting? I honestly feel we are in for an ugly battle on the horizon with these anti hunting groups. I still blame social media, most people were unaware this hunting was even going on, now its plastered all over the web. Not good!
Globalists views vs Nationalist views. Globalists believe government should be leading the country. Nationalists believe the people should be leading the country. This is the argument.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:55 PM

How is CNN still in business?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:54 AM

Trump ain't lyin'.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:03 AM

I just saw the preview for this documentary on CNN, if possible,everyone on this forum should take the time to watch it, it looks really good, some african outfitters with some really good arguments on the preview.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:07 AM

I'll watch it.
Especially if it has Anthony Bourdain and some local cooking the meat of every animal harvested !!

Yes, hunting is getting the poop kicked out of it in the media, and social media is no help.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:07 AM

Social media is a cancer for many things .
Old 01-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Banned

Guys this actually may be worth watching. The Antis hate it as well.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Banned

This is the directors interview. http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2018...-berman-nr.cnn

Watch it all.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:20 PM

From that interview it looks like it might be a decent, somewhat unbiased approach.
It's sensible to consider that managed trophy hunting will prevent some of these animals from being wiped out entirely.

I don't know if this topic will carry across to hunting in North America, because this approach, if implemented here, could likely wipe out hunting being accessible to the general population.

I'm not sure the average citizen in some of these countries, can just go buy a general tag, and access public (or private) lands like we enjoy here.

That having been said, if this show makes a few antis see the concept of hunting in a different light, I'm all for it.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Just a thumbs up . CNN will be showing a documentary on trophy hunting this coming Sunday night 9pm (assuming eastern time). I caught a quick clip today regarding some guy states side who has a variety of african animals on his land and you can pay to hunt. Obviously the reporting was not favourable.
I would imagine Sunday's show will be slanted in it's reporting.
You do mean a heads up don't you? I sort of always thought thumbs up meant some sort of approval?

I will attempt to keep an open mind till I view the documentary.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I'm not sure the average citizen in some of these countries, can just go buy a general tag, and access public (or private) lands like we enjoy here.

That's the way we're headed anyways I think.

Saddest part of the Africa thing, which I suspect will be a big talking point in this documentary, is that without big money hunts and hunters, game ranches, etc, there likely would not be many animals left in large parts of Africa. Many exist because of these hunts. Not in spite of them. Monies generated from hunting have to replace that which is earned from poaching for the long term.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:37 AM

Small picture add in Saturdays Calgary Herald shows a guy posing with a cougar he legally shot . Caption was "Stop Trophy Hunting in Alberta". Grass roots group could only afford a 3 inch by 3 inch add on page 3 or 4.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Saddest part of the Africa thing, which I suspect will be a big talking point in this documentary, is that without big money hunts and hunters, game ranches, etc, there likely would not be many animals left in large parts of Africa. Many exist because of these hunts. Not in spite of them.
Wondering just why you find that "sad"?
I think it rather fitting myself, and I've been over there a few times.
System works, and works well...

Wondering...
Nog
Old 01-14-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

Wondering...
Nog
and I am wondering who you think that system works well for?

Wondering...
Old 01-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
and I am wondering who you think that system works well for?
1. Wildlife: Many of the effected populations simply would not exist without those programs.

2. Locals: Not only do they have a reason to co-exist with wildlife, in many cases they also receive the meat from hunts.

3. Hunters: The game exists in good numbers, including larger specimens for those so inclined.

Downsides??

Nog
Old 01-14-2018, 04:58 PM

I have less than zero interest to go over to africa and do the safari thing.

With that being said, when you look at the grand scheme of their conservation programs, as well as the economics behind it, the program they are running is very slick.

People just don't like the idea of Dumbo the Elephant or the cast of The Jungle Book being killed and left for dead to rot (At least, I think that's what they're assuming happens).

Sure, the biggest problem for hunting is Social Media, but the second biggest problem is the anthropomorphism of wild animals and the disillusion that the food chain no longer exists.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Wondering...
Nog

Sad that the only thing keeping many of these animals alive is the coin brought in by foreign hunters. You'd think they'd have more than just money as a reason but since they can't get a grip on poaching it's the only alternative.

Would be no different than Alberta keeping the elk and moose populations going so hunters from the U.S. and the rest of the world could come and hunt them for big coin. If you don't see a conflict there then I don't know what to say.

Only a privileged few would be hunting them is the short answer. Are you ok with that?

I'm all for whatever it takes to keep the animals in Africa from becoming extinct but the sole reasoning here is what's suspect.

Also...although I GET it, I'm not so sure I agree with many of the animals being raised in captivity, yes I know they're still pretty much wild, then let go a week or two ahead of the hunts. That's sad too, because if they cared enough to manage their wildlife properly there would be enough to support hunting the fully wild versions.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
1. Wildlife: Many of the effected populations simply would not exist without those programs.

2. Locals: Not only do they have a reason to co-exist with wildlife, in many cases they also receive the meat from hunts.

3. Hunters: The game exists in good numbers, including larger specimens for those so inclined.

Downsides??

Nog

To address your points:

1) Yes because their governments don't care enough to preserve them for any other reason than as cash generators.

2) Yes they coexist, in some cases, because they are slowly learning that if they kill all the animals the money flow from outside sources stops. No outside hunting for big dollars and pretty much every species would be wiped out. I get it. I just don't think money should be the only reason.

Yes they get the meat. It's just too bad they aren't allowed to hunt themselves thanks to them not having a clue how to manage numbers.

IMO it's not far off non status being the only ones with enough cash to hunt here, BUt, the meat goes to the indigenous peoples so it's all good.

If you want to cause more derision from the anti's make it widely know that the hunters are only in Africa for the horns and hides.

3) The game exists in good numbers? All species? Lions? Is that why most of them are farm raised and released into the wild for hunting purposes? There might be decent numbers of some species in some of the parks where they get max protection but all over as you are saying? I don't think so.

All of this said I know where you're coming from and I'm not condemning the hunters. As I said before, I'm condemning countries that keep animals alive solely for the cash they generate because that's the only way they can rationalize it. It's far from ideal.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Sad that the only thing keeping many of these animals alive is the coin brought in by foreign hunters. You'd think they'd have more than just money as a reason but since they can't get a grip on poaching it's the only alternative.
Fair enough.

The version of Africa you wish for disappeared one hell of a long time ago unfortunately.
Now, almost the entire continent is overpopulated. Poverty RULES. Most cannot afford to eck out even a substandard living. Wildlife exists now simply because it brings in extremely required coin, and jobs. Without that incentive, it is simply food to be taken at will, or competition when attempting to grow & harvest crops. Anti-poaching activities commonly lose ground (rapidly so) when those incentives are removed.
Unfortunate situation, but nothing you nor I can do will influence what is at all.

Quote:
Only a privileged few would be hunting them is the short answer. Are you ok with that?
More hunt than you might imagine.
While the "trophy" hunts are generally sold off to the elites that can afford it, meat and cull hunts also occur frequently. Those are typically engaged in by locals (who I hunted with extensively while there).
It is an entirely different game over there, and cannot be compared directly with what occurs in NA. Given that these hunts are pretty much the sole reason the wildlife still exist. yes, I am OK with that.

Quote:
...although I GET it, I'm not so sure I agree with many of the animals being raised in captivity, yes I know they're still pretty much wild, then let go a week or two ahead of the hunts. That's sad too, because if they cared enough to manage their wildlife properly there would be enough to support hunting the fully wild versions.
What you describe is the exception to the rule in most cases.
Yes, that does occur, but it is limited in scope.
Most are born behind a fence that encompasses a HUGE range, and never see a "cage" as you suggest. Most operate under the free range aspect the majority of their lives.

Given the state of almost all African Countries today, it is entirely unlikely there will ever be a program of wildlife management in any of them that comes close to the NA model, or for which you wish for. So many other matters take precedence, that wildlife is not even on the back burner. The only reason there is any interest at all is based almost entirely on the coin hunting operations bring in.

So, I do see your point regarding what makes it "sad".
But I also recognize that without the types of programs now being employed there, we could kiss a great many wildlife species away.

Unfortunate perhaps, but a very large component of Just The Way It Is...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 01-14-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.

The version of Africa you wish for disappeared one hell of a long time ago unfortunately.
Now, almost the entire continent is overpopulated. Poverty RULES. Most cannot afford to eck out even a substandard living. Wildlife exists now simply because it brings in extremely required coin, and jobs. Without that incentive, it is simply food to be taken at will, or competition when attempting to grow & harvest crops. Anti-poaching activities commonly lose ground (rapidly so) when those incentives are removed.
Unfortunate situation, but nothing you nor I can do will influence what is at all.

More hunt than you might imagine.
While the "trophy" hunts are generally sold off to the elites that can afford it, meat and cull hunts also occur frequently. Those are typically engaged in by locals (who I hunted with extensively while there).
It is an entirely different game over there, and cannot be compared directly with what occurs in NA. Given that these hunts are pretty much the sole reason the wildlife still exist. yes, I am OK with that.

What you describe is the exception to the rule in most cases.
Yes, that does occur, but it is limited in scope.
Most are born behind a fence that encompasses a HUGE range, and never see a "cage" as you suggest. Most operate under the free range aspect the majority of their lives.

Given the state of almost all African Countries today, it is entirely unlikely there will ever be a program of wildlife management in any of them that comes close to the NA model, or for which you wish for. So many other matters take precedence, that wildlife is not even on the back burner. The only reason there is any interest at all is based almost entirely on the coin hunting operations bring in.

So, I do see your point regarding what makes it "sad".
But I also recognize that without the types of programs now being employed there, we could kiss a great many wildlife species away.

Unfortunate perhaps, but a very large component of Just The Way It Is...

Cheers,
Nog

All good Nog. The last people I'm condemning are the foreign hunters. If they all stopped coming there would be NO animals left in Africa. They would pay the price for the poverty, overpopulation, and culture you speak of. The antis don't get that. They only see rich, privileged types doing it with no clue what would happen if the natives were left to their own devices.

I would make references to the possibilities of it happening here as well but I'm not here to create the firestorm that would bring on.

And yes I should have said "fenced" rather than "caged". My error. Still they aint exactly free ranging was my point. (I could tell you a good story about a friend that is there often. Books hunts. Those "fenced" animals aren't exactly tame is all I'll say)

Africa is a beautiful place. Where we all come from so they say. It's too bad it's gone the way it has, thanks mostly to corruption.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:35 PM

Why the hatred of rich people that like hunting? BTW, hunting in Africa is in many cases cheaper than a guided hunt in the NWT.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:03 PM

On again at 10.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:32 PM

After watching that documentary I only came to one conclusion for sure and that is it takes very little skill to bag an African trophy but it does take a bit of money.

I wonder only about one thing. Now that the old horn rancher won his right to sell rhino horns, was it really about saving the rhino from extinction or has the old horn man won the right to sell what was once illegal.

Taking the animals out of the wild or taking the wild out of the animals does not really leave much to brag about.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Banned

Looks like it ruffled more feathers before it aired, than after.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Small picture add in Saturdays Calgary Herald shows a guy posing with a cougar he legally shot . Caption was "Stop Trophy Hunting in Alberta". Grass roots group could only afford a 3 inch by 3 inch add on page 3 or 4.
And yet when the idea of hunters taking out a PRO HUNTING ad/article in the same newspaper was presented to the Facebook group NO ONE wanted to donate some cash to it.

So the antis win because they actually take action. Everyone else, pro gun pro hunting just sits back and waits and complains.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 AM

Didn't care either way until the star hunter ( if you can call him that ) said it was his God given right to hunt (using the word loosely as nothing I saw could be called hunting). I never was a big fan of canned hunts. at least the deer I hunt can clear the fences on the prairie and make an Elmer Fudd out of me. This crap should not be called hunting, maybe call it rich man's folly instead.