Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Default hunting extension in CWD areas

does anyone know if you have to be a resident of a cwd area to take advantage of the longer season? wmu's 234,236 and 256
Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM

Don't think so..............tags are cheap, but the land is well hunted, permission is getting tough, and the deer are really skittish around now. On the positive side. I got my tags over a month ago (special draw; chronic wasting; can't remember the exact name) and there were only a few more left in 256. Other zones were sold out. Check the regs on the chronic wasting page for what tags can be used in the longer season.

I obtained permission for 5 quarters. The landowner said that there was only one other guy using his land, but my hunt was interupted several times by at least 7 other groups of hunters in trucks. It could just be where I was at, but it was a tough hunt this year in the regular season.......

YKD
Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 PM

Default cwd

No, you don't need to be a resident in those wmu's but you need a Quota license per WMU which comes with 3 tags to hunt there. The Quota hunt ends Dec 20.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Point to note, the CWD tags had to have been applied for- you can't just go buy them over the counter.

Also, the General Whitetail tag is good until Dec. 20.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:09 PM

Dec 20th?
I don't think so.
Read your regs again.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Point to note, the CWD tags had to have been applied for- you can't just go buy them over the counter.

Also, the General Whitetail tag is good until Dec. 20.
Gen tag is done on november 30th page 45 of hunting regs

In 234 it is getting really hard to get permission to hunt these this year. the deer are running so hard right now it is not even funny
Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 AM

I should have been more specific.

The General Whitetail tag is good until Dec 20 in the CWD zones, not all across the province.

HunterDan---"Dec 20th?
I don't think so.
Read your regs again. "

...and

Trav---"Gen tag is done on november 30th page 45 of hunting regs"

If you look on pages 69 and 70 of the regs, it says that the Whitetail Tag is good until Dec 20... even though the tag itself only says Nov 30'th on it, I also called F&W to clarify this and was told that yes, the Whitetail tag is good until Dec 20 in the CWD zones.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:36 AM

I don't think it matters. Mission Successful Cattlemens Association! Just like the buffalo.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 AM

In the regs where they are talking about the cwd and deer management, it states that the season goes till Dec 20 for all tags, but not necessarily for the whole zone. in 236 and 256 it's only the first 3 ranges in from the border. All of 234 though.

WMU 236 and 256 CWD Control Areas
The CWD Control Area will include Ranges 1-3. There will be a Quota Deer (CWD) Licence for $9.00 which will have three tags. The first two tags will be for antlerless deer and the third tag will be for antlered or antlerless deer. Antlered Mule Deer will remain on a draw for the entire WMU. The Antlerless Mule Deer draw in these WMUs has been eliminated and replaced with a Supplemental Antlerless Mule Deer licence which will have two tags. The archery only season will be from September 3- October 14. The new primitive weapon season will be from October 15- October 31. The rifle season will be from November 1-December 20 and November 1- January 15, 2009 for landowners. Sunday hunting is also allowed. Only the rifle season will be printed on the Quota Deer (CWD) Licence. Licence holders of the Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, a Supplemental Antlerless Mule Deer licence, a White-tailed Deer Licence or a Supplemental Antlerless White-tailed Deer Licence may hunt in the CWD Control Area from November 1- December 20 and November 1- January 15, 2009 for landowners.

WMU 234
The entire WMU is a CWD Control Area. There will be a Quota Deer (CWD) Licence for $9.00 which will have three tags. The first two tags will be for antlerless deer and the third tag will be for antlered or antlerless deer. The Antlerless Mule Deer special licence has been eliminated and replaced with a Supplemental Antlerless Mule Deer Licence which will have two tags. The archery only season will be from September 3- October 14. The new primitive weapon season will be from October 15- October 31. The rifle season will be from November 1- December 20 and November 1- January 15, 2009 for landowners. Sunday hunting is also allowed. Only the rifle season will be printed on the Quota Deer (CWD) Licence. Holders of the Supplemental Antlerless Mule Deer licence, a White-tailed Deer Licence or a Supplemental Antlerless White-tailed Deer Licence may hunt in the CWD Control Area from November 1-December 20 and November 1-January 15, 2009 for landowners.