Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2023, 11:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Do you remember those muskie jointed deer hair muskrat lures? Caught a large laker on one of those in the nwt when i was trying to find a lure in my tackle box that a laker wouldnt take

Dam up there I wouldn’t pee off the boat cuz they are super aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-16-2023, 02:46 PM

Not much for jigging during the summer but decided to give it a go and yup the TC Moto Meathead with a paddle tail on got results!
I use this during ice fishing with good results too.
Still at it right now with no overs so far but all it takes is the one fish.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Not much for jigging during the summer but decided to give it a go and yup the TC Moto Meathead with a paddle tail on got results!

We had great success over this weekend using the same thing jigging right in front of the marina!
Old 07-18-2023, 03:30 AM

Default jig

Quote:

That's great to hear! The TC Moto Meathead is a great jig, and it's definitely versatile enough to use in both summer and winter. I'm also not much of a jigger in the summer, but I've been meaning to give it a try more often. I've heard that it can be a great way to catch fish in the summer, especially when the water is clear.
I'll have to keep an eye out for the TC Moto Meathead next time I'm at the store. It sounds like a great jig to add to my arsenal.
Old 07-29-2023, 01:00 PM

Well there sure isn’t much to decide upon on cold lake now.
Bite has been incredible the last two outings this week and today too.
Just crazy how they got the bait pushed up against structure and you just pick the trout off at will!

Old 07-29-2023, 01:12 PM

We spent a day there last weekend and yeah there were fish everywhere we went....every depth every hump every ridge and aggressive. If you saw any bait at all guaranteed there were several fish following. Lots of doubles and seemed like you could have dropped a Hotdog and they'd smash it. Thermocline looked like is was around 25 feet but still had the odd fish hit just under the boat.
Got a bit more mapping done in a few areas we frequently fish as well.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2023, 04:16 PM

Thick as thieves and super aggressive too!
Lots of double headers mostly trying to get one rod in as the other is on then bam now we got to do the lake trout two step.

Old 07-29-2023, 04:33 PM

Super duper nice!!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2023, 11:47 AM

I 2nd that! Great to see the two fish finder screen shots. Really shows what is happening. Glad that Cold Lake is doing so well.
Old 07-31-2023, 03:23 PM

Screenshots you say?

Nothing like tracking the cannonballs and seeing fish come up from under or down from above chasing your lures then seeing the rod pop!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6710.jpg (41.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6709.jpg (19.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6708.jpg (29.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 08-10-2023, 10:10 PM

How has cold lake been this past week? I’m thinking about heading up there (from Airdrie) next weekend.

Old 08-11-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed View Post
How has cold lake been this past week? I’m thinking about heading up there (from Airdrie) next weekend.

2X we as well
Old 08-11-2023, 12:33 PM

As usual it’s been great, find the structure, find the bait balls and have at them.

Finding the larger fish on their own though as in 170 fow on a flat bottom.

No indication on the fish finder
Then bam they hit us at 60 fow out
Of no where.

Sometimes it pays to venture off and see if there are suspended fish in deep water.

Old 08-11-2023, 05:00 PM

Thanks 58! I’ll post if I end up coming up. Wouldn’t mind sharing the lake with you guys up there one day.

Old 08-12-2023, 04:42 PM

One more question for you guys up there. What’s the water level like? I was thinking about camping at Baywood. The last time I was there, crossing the sand bar (to enter the main lake) was a bit of adventure. Any idea what it’s like now?

Old 08-12-2023, 07:16 PM

Going out tomorrow. Has anyone been out lately? How is the fishing?
Old 08-13-2023, 08:12 AM

Thumbs up

Now that the rain and storms have passed hang on cuz usually the bite will be awesome.....good luck.

Old 08-13-2023, 08:14 PM

Was out today for the first time since a year ago. Lots of fish on the graph spread out everywhere. Kept moving until we hit active schools. Started off getting hits on an NK Mag wonderbread. Then a few smashed the NK Mag Green Dolphin with green prism tape. Hits were consistent for a while then tapered off. Decided to swap one lure out to see if a size and colour change might get action. Line wasn't down 1 minute and fish on pulling an NK28 black/white underside with both purple and green prism tape. Hits continued every few minutes on that lure then it was double headers time. Both the NKMag Wonderbread and NK28 black/white were in a duel for a short while with 3 back to back double headers in about 45 mins.
After a bit they turned off or moved off and it died until we found another active bunch. I switched the black NK to a new lure that is really popular on the great lakes for salmon and holy it was game on. Each time the ball got to depth the rod fired. I can't recall the name of the lure? I'll look and post it later. I'm glad I ordered a few of them in different colours but the irridescent black/purple one I tried was really getting them going.
We lost alot of fish at the side of the boat due to running barbless hooks and not bothering to net them which was ok as we'd already snapped pics of a few we landed. Only netted two, the rest we reached over and just flipped the lures loose and off they went. Nothing was worthy of putting on the bump board though we'd have had no trouble picking one to bring home with next years slot size.
Never counted but I'd say we had a good 60 hits, 40 on and 30 brought to boatside with 14 confirmed hand released. We finished our day with a double header!
Oh and if you guys want a foolproof always releases on a hit release that DOES NOT FALSE RELEASE buy yourself some Chamberlain releases. They are without a doubt THE BEST release I have ever used in 40 years of downrigging!
I will never run anything else again. You will not ever drag a fish around on one or false release one when adjusted properly.
I'll post pics later after I've gone through them.
Almost forgot, trolling speeds that initiated strikes fell between 2.5 - 2.7mph. Never a strike at 2.8 or greater and nothing under 2.5 except when zigzagging tight turns the inside line got hit several times.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:23 PM

Here is a few screen shots from today running a new pair of Carbon 9's(dash and stern) networked together via ethernet sharing the same CMAPs card and Active 3 in 1 transducer. Did alot of mapping today in the blue areas to fill in the blanks. Got our best results for nice elongated arches and tracking the cannonballs with the 3 in 1 set to 83khz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6926.jpg (33.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6927.jpg (36.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6925.jpg (37.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6928.jpg (29.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-13-2023, 09:06 PM

A few pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6951.jpg (37.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6952.jpg (41.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6949.jpg (26.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg f977dd20-db8f-4ca7-b592-4f00bde6f572.jpg (33.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg c22d6433-72bc-4261-9349-334bd4e770df.jpg (32.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 48e60281-6361-4dfe-8976-1052421f73cb.jpg (38.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg efb9560e-f0b6-463a-bd8c-b8d66d47276a.jpg (30.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 08-14-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed View Post
One more question for you guys up there. What’s the water level like? I was thinking about camping at Baywood. The last time I was there, crossing the sand bar (to enter the main lake) was a bit of adventure. Any idea what it’s like now?

The water levels are still low so that being said I would be really careful going across the sand bar, doable but there are also a few large boulders just outside of the sand bar too....just take your time.

Fish are on so you should have a great time.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:11 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
Was out today for the first time since a year ago. Lots of fish on the graph spread out everywhere. Kept moving until we hit active schools. Started off getting hits on an NK Mag wonderbread. Then a few smashed the NK Mag Green Dolphin with green prism tape. Hits were consistent for a while then tapered off. Decided to swap one lure out to see if a size and colour change might get action. Line wasn't down 1 minute and fish on pulling an NK28 black/white underside with both purple and green prism tape. Hits continued every few minutes on that lure then it was double headers time. Both the NKMag Wonderbread and NK28 black/white were in a duel for a short while with 3 back to back double headers in about 45 mins.
After a bit they turned off or moved off and it died until we found another active bunch. I switched the black NK to a new lure that is really popular on the great lakes for salmon and holy it was game on. Each time the ball got to depth the rod fired. I can't recall the name of the lure? I'll look and post it later. I'm glad I ordered a few of them in different colours but the irridescent black/purple one I tried was really getting them going.
We lost alot of fish at the side of the boat due to running barbless hooks and not bothering to net them which was ok as we'd already snapped pics of a few we landed. Only netted two, the rest we reached over and just flipped the lures loose and off they went. Nothing was worthy of putting on the bump board though we'd have had no trouble picking one to bring home with next years slot size.
Never counted but I'd say we had a good 60 hits, 40 on and 30 brought to boatside with 14 confirmed hand released. We finished our day with a double header!
Oh and if you guys want a foolproof always releases on a hit release that DOES NOT FALSE RELEASE buy yourself some Chamberlain releases. They are without a doubt THE BEST release I have ever used in 40 years of downrigging!
I will never run anything else again. You will not ever drag a fish around on one or false release one when adjusted properly.
I'll post pics later after I've gone through them.
Almost forgot, trolling speeds that initiated strikes fell between 2.5 - 2.7mph. Never a strike at 2.8 or greater and nothing under 2.5 except when zigzagging tight turns the inside line got hit several times.
Looks like you folks had a great day in the water

Old 08-14-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Looks like you folks had a great day in the water
Yes sure did. Looked closely at a couple pontoon boats to see if it was you but didn't appear to be so just kept trolling on by.
Here is a link to the Chamberlain releases. Check out the videos on how they work. After trying them yesterday I am sold. Best release I've ever used.

https://downriggerrelease.com/
Old 08-14-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
The water levels are still low so that being said I would be really careful going across the sand bar, doable but there are also a few large boulders just outside of the sand bar too....just take your time.

Fish are on so you should have a great time.

Thanks. Maybe I’ll just camp there and pull to the marina for launching.

Old 08-14-2023, 02:38 PM

Ugh….hopefully the forecast changes before Friday.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
Yes sure did. Looked closely at a couple pontoon boats to see if it was you but didn't appear to be so just kept trolling on by.
Here is a link to the Chamberlain releases. Check out the videos on how they work. After trying them yesterday I am sold. Best release I've ever used.

https://downriggerrelease.com/
Those are pretty much outrigger release clips with a small but brilliant tweak. Thanks for posting that, it solves pretty much every problem conventional clips have.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Those are pretty much outrigger release clips with a small but brilliant tweak. Thanks for posting that, it solves pretty much every problem conventional clips have.
Still trying to get a laker to take a bite on those lures you sent

Maybe better for ice fishing

Old 08-14-2023, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Still trying to get a laker to take a bite on those lures you sent

Maybe better for ice fishing
At least you’re out fishing. Wind has been horrible this winter… except for every now and then when I’m at work. Good thing there are plenty of deer and pigs to shoot to keep us busy. The freezer lid hardly closes.

As for those lures. It’s more likely they won’t bite them. I brought a lot of tackle from Alberta to here and nothing will eat it. Not a single strike on things like northern king spoons, Len thompsons, large flatfish and even things I used on the west coast like Tomic lures and a herring in a teaser head, etc. I ended up taking most of it back and giving it to my father in law.
It stands to reason the opposite happens as well and the lures that work here don’t work there.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:39 PM

Was out fishing cold lake this afternoon until the thunderstorm rolled in.
Tried a few spots picking one or two per spot. Then we hit the mother load spot. Non stop double headers for the two of us. The rain pouring down and lightning it was time to go in.
Hopefully tomorrow winds are light.
Can’t wait to get back out
Old 08-16-2023, 11:35 AM

I am going to have to check out Cold Lake. Looks like a great time.