Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Default Can I laminate my license?

Long story short I went for a swim with my fly rod and vest on and my little Ziplock bag didn't do its job. I heard somewhere your license is void if you laminate it. True? The license dried out and the ink did not run. Thankfully I only had 2 boxes of flies to dry out and reorganize.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM

I do every year, i've had no issues.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:51 AM

It's not that it will void it, the lamination process will turn it black since it is a thermal paper.I have been thinking about "laminating" mine with clear packing tape. but for the most part I have given up I just try to fold it so that the licence number info is on the outside and readable even after a few washings.

I once met a person on the IBM team that designed the system, I told them the printout idea was the dumbest idea since the NDP.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Just reprint it - albertarelm.com

I laminated mine this spring ( don't know if "legal" ) and first trip out dropped in the lake, didn't float to good.
mine turned out fine, no running or dark stuff

Last edited by TUFFBUFF; 06-15-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:58 AM

I guess i should note, I get mine online and laminate it every year on the regular paper.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:07 PM

but it does said in the license it self "DO NOT LAMINATE" and doesn't specify by laminate it will void it. i guess if you get check and they don't say anything i assume that's ok.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:09 PM

The printed one from the web does not say, do not laminate.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:26 PM

Good question. I know the thermal paper ones turn black, they also turn black if you put them in an old film container. Too much heat. I think that's why you weren't supposed to laminate. But the ones you print don't do that. I think the note not to laminate is a carry over, it doesn't change because the system doesn't know what paper is being used. I don't know but I guess the only way to know for sure is make a phone call to the CO. If anyone knows for sure please post. I would love to laminate mine instead of print off a few dozen each year.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:53 PM

You can not laminate your licence if it is printed on thermal paper. You can get some clear shelf paper. And cover your licence with that.
If you print your licence online then you can laminate it.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-15-2010, 04:28 PM

Just take your licence and make a copy of it. Then laminate the copy, and keep the thermal one at home for back up

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Maybe just me but I think with the money we pay for this (NO) "WIN" card our fishing and hunting licence info should be stored on a bar code and scanned by F&W. This would tell officials that we have bought our licences. Still have to pay for licence and info could be updated at time of purchase. Card is plastic and no need to laminate. I put mine in two baggies.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Long story short I went for a swim with my fly rod and vest on and my little Ziplock bag didn't do its job. I heard somewhere your license is void if you laminate it. True? The license dried out and the ink did not run. Thankfully I only had 2 boxes of flies to dry out and reorganize.
Yes u heard it will be void if u liminate ur fish ing licence it also says on licence no mater where u buy online or store its confirmed i would say take it out if you have done so or u might end up some fine?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:51 PM

Thanks all. I guess I'll print one online and laminate it.