Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Banned

Owned 2
Old 05-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Banned

Yeah i owned double
Old 05-04-2016, 01:29 PM

I have 2 of them First one was bought in 1967 second about 15 yrs ago. A large and smaller version
Old 05-04-2016, 05:02 PM

I have 2; one carbon, one stainless. Acquired both while in the Army. Good knives. I find the carbon blade holds a better edge than the stainless but tarnishes very quickly. Stopped carrying it after I started making my own knives. I still keep them around as spares in the truck box.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:54 PM

Both mine are stainless. Neither holds an edge well, but they are easy to sharpen. I appreciate the way they handle when dressing game, usually get through skinning an animal without having to re-sharpen.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:45 AM

I picked up a carbon steel original at a garage sale years ago, and was impressed. Bought a few more different styles to try. I like the design and feel of all of them, but the stainless edge holding is not as impressive as the original carbon. I believe they still make carbon models(?), might be worth trying.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Banned

I was issued one in the army many years ago. I still have it along with my knife, pocket,C-5. I treasure them both.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:56 PM

I have had 2 for a very long time,very lucky I never lost one of them,great knives and tough to boot.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:55 PM

Never owned one but have made several with a similar design
Forged from a ferrier rasp
Copper bolsters and copper hardware to match , leather handle

Old 05-08-2016, 02:18 PM

I have 4
the #3 is my regular vest knife and belt knife for hunting.
IMO the 103 is probably the nicest skinner out there, right size, right blade configuration, haven't had any edge problems, stays sharp enough to do whatever you need.
I also bought a #104 'cause I really liked it...
The other thing to keep in mind is if you want to make an addition to your kitchen or give someone you really like a nice wedding or other present, Grohmann makes beautifully balanced, functional kitchen knives. Why give German when you can give Canadian?
They're all made in Pictou NS.

PS If you're a bargain hunter, check the seconds, I bought a couple of them for my friends as gifts ('cause I'm a cheap pr1ck) - but I had to show them where the flaws were because they couldn't find them - Grohmann have very high production standards so it doesn't take much to get the relegated into the 2nds bin
Old 05-16-2016, 07:54 PM

I've got a couple and really like them. I like that they are Canadian and good quality for a fair price
Old 06-14-2016, 07:34 PM

Just got this one in the mail today!

Old 06-19-2016, 11:35 PM

I have one now, and love it! Best part is that i got a 1962 Russell belt knife and a 1973 Puma hunters friend for 20$ !
Old 06-20-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonz View Post
I recently bought a Grohmann #2 knife from wholesale sports and really liked it. I was surprised to learn the history of the knife and wondered why this Canadian made knife with its roots here wasn't more popular.

I've never seen another guy with one on their belt before and no one really talks about them.

https://youtu.be/LV6qPRmzAvw

I made a short video to review them and hopefully share this with other people who are keen to support Canadian businesses and products. And they look cool

Lemonz
Was given one as a gift years ago, never used it till recently and I must say it is the best knife I own. Wish I had more of them. Like you say a very interesting history!
Old 06-20-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yea was not happy with some of their stainless steel lots when they started offering them but love the high carbon lades.
I like the fact t they sharpen fast with a crock stick and stay sharp for one animal at least. Only takes a few swipes to get them back.
Cat
This is interesting, the one I have the steel is so hard I couldn't get a good edge on it myself (with a lanski sharpening stones) I had to take it into a blade sharpening place. The guy that sharpened it actually commented on how hard the steel was.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:25 PM

Default Good not great

I have quite a few, because I like the factory website discounts. The steel seems to be good for general purposes and normal edge hold, but not amazing compared to some fancy steels. Always solid and well made it seems, down to the sheaths.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:38 AM

Found a #3 at a yard sale a few years ago and it has become a favorite.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:37 PM

I have the #1 in stainless and the #4 in stainless with the gut hook on the #4. I will say vary good knife and I have split the ribs on 3 deer and never once had to sharpen them before I was done.

Gordon
Old 07-05-2016, 03:19 AM

I lost one in the field while dressing an animal. A couple of hours looking in the snow and it didn't turn up. Went to look for it that spring again with no luck so I gave up the search. This spring (4 years later) I found the knife laying not 5 yards from where I thought I had originally lost it. The wood handle was faded on the sun side but not cracked and still well intact. The blade had some minor tarnish on it that easily came out with a quick polish and sharp as ever after a couple passes over the stone. Unreal knives!
Old 07-05-2016, 05:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Bill View Post
I lost one in the field while dressing an animal. A couple of hours looking in the snow and it didn't turn up. Went to look for it that spring again with no luck so I gave up the search. This spring (4 years later) I found the knife laying not 5 yards from where I thought I had originally lost it. The wood handle was faded on the sun side but not cracked and still well intact. The blade had some minor tarnish on it that easily came out with a quick polish and sharp as ever after a couple passes over the stone. Unreal knives!
Now that's a story with a great outcome...I know a fella who hunts hard and always seems to find things under his stands that he knew he misplaced...kinda like xmas every fall!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-05-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I was issued one in the army many years ago. I still have it along with my knife, pocket,C-5. I treasure them both.
Same same, Still have my issued "Field Engineer Knife" plus my C5 and my Gerber.

When I OT'd, supply wanted my "FE" knife back. I told them I lost it! They said you were wearing it yesterday when you cleared in, I said yep, Now its lost!

I have another Grohman FE/Jump knife that was a Tour Gift for TF-309 Afghanistan
Old 07-05-2016, 09:19 AM

I had one never really liked it I demand a lot from my knives and the Grohman just dulled way too easy. I now only use D2 Steel (KOA and Enzo) and a couple rustproof MAC Sportsman knives which are insanely awesome yet near impossible to find.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:53 AM

received a grohmann belt knife for soldier of the year at the regimental xmas party years ago, was later issued a 2nd which had to be turned back in when I got out of the army, great knives, the one I got awarded is pretty beat up from years of back to back field ex's but its one of my most cherished possessions.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:56 AM

my belt knife is also pretty tarnished from stabbing a beer can in order to shotgun it at a smoker after an ex, ive thought about cleaning it up but it serves as a good reminder of fun times past.