Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-30-2016, 03:00 PM

Smile Grohmann Knives - Do you own one?

I recently bought a Grohmann #2 knife from wholesale sports and really liked it. I was surprised to learn the history of the knife and wondered why this Canadian made knife with its roots here wasn't more popular.

I've never seen another guy with one on their belt before and no one really talks about them.

https://youtu.be/LV6qPRmzAvw

I made a short video to review them and hopefully share this with other people who are keen to support Canadian businesses and products. And they look cool

Lemonz
Old 04-30-2016, 03:03 PM

Between my son and I we own about 6!
I also have a 1958 and a 1962 Russell pair, belt and bird knives , fantastic high carbon blades
Cat
Old 04-30-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Between my son and I we own about 6!
I also have a 1958 and a 1962 Russell pair, belt and bird knives , fantastic high carbon blades
Cat
If that isn't a ringing endorsement I don't what is

Thanks Cat!
Old 04-30-2016, 03:19 PM

I own one. Great knife. Lost one dragging out a mule deer one year off a mountain in deep snow. Bought another one the next weekend.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:21 PM

I own one myself, and when I finally get all of my hunting gear unpacked, I hope to find it again. It doesn't hold an edge as long as some of my knives, but it's easier to sharpen, and it will take an edge sharp enough to shave.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:34 PM

An example of Russel's original belt knife is in the Smithsonian , it also won him several knife maker guild awards along with his '62
Grohnan worked for him when he came over from Finland.
I have seen Grohmann's knife he built for his Finnish journeyman test - it takes about ten minutes to open every blade on that folder!!
Cat
Old 04-30-2016, 04:22 PM

I've owned a #1 for about 7 years now and it is by far my favorite knife. My wife has carried a #2 knife for as long as she's hunted, probably 5 years. I've tried a couple other Grohmanns with mixed results, though they were all nice knives. Coming from the #1, while the #3 feels like a very nice knife, that blocky handle just doesn't have that "nothing but curves" Grohmann feel to me, a friend of mine has a Small Skinner that I also don't seem to be able to love. Obviously that is just my personal taste. The Large Skinner and the survival knife feel very much the way I feel a Grohmann should but IMO the blades are a bit too big, cant beat a #1 I guess!

Would be interested in trying the small lockback they recently introduced, seems to have about the same dimensions as another of my favorite knives, the Buck 112 Ranger (mostly because I feel that the dimensions are just about perfect on that knife), with the lines very similar to the #1.

Last edited by Bushleague; 04-30-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:37 PM

This seems to be an Original D H Russell I have used for many years. AFIK it was made before Grohmann assumed the manufacture of these knives. It is stainless so that throws me off a bit. Anyone know for sure ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original DH Russell Belt Knife 001.jpg (42.4 KB, 215 views)
Old 04-30-2016, 04:47 PM
Banned

I have one as well, a #1. My Dad, not a hunter but a camper and fisher, has had one since I can remember. Then he finally got me one. I love it when we get to hang the animal. Like it was mentioned earlier, they take an edge very well, they just don't keep it. I have had other knives that have gutted and skinned 3 deer and I need to sharpen my #1 after one deer, but it is a very comfortable knife. It will always have a place in my pack.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I have one as well, a #1. My Dad, not a hunter but a camper and fisher, has had one since I can remember. Then he finally got me one. I love it when we get to hang the animal. Like it was mentioned earlier, they take an edge very well, they just don't keep it. I have had other knives that have gutted and skinned 3 deer and I need to sharpen my #1 after one deer, but it is a very comfortable knife. It will always have a place in my pack.
I have used the gutless method to quarter and de-meat a moose or elk numerous times, using only my stainless #1, and I still have a usable edge on it when I'm finished, only a few swipes on a steel will bring it back to shaving sharp... not sure how much longer a knife needs to hold an edge than that? Maybe the stainless is better in the newer knives than it was in the old ones?

I suppose if one was going to skin and debone the quarters it might need a touch up part way through.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:56 PM
Banned

I have never tried the gutless method. Does it need to last any longer than one deer? Depends if you and your hunting partner got lucky that day I guess. It was used for a comparison reference, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:02 PM

I've got one from when I was with the Scouts, the Scout shop used to sell a kit that you assembled yourself.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I have never tried the gutless method. Does it need to last any longer than one deer? Depends if you and your hunting partner got lucky that day I guess. It was used for a comparison reference, nothing more, nothing less.
Quartering a moose by any means takes quite a bit more out of a knife than dressing and skinning a deer, all that hair really dulls up a knife. I have some old Scrades and the afore mentioned Bucks that will easily handle a deer but will not quarter a moose without re-sharpening.

Not trying to call you down, I've heard plenty of people belittle the stainless Grohmanns. But from my own experience which is mostly with the newer ones it is my theory that much like every other major knife maker, their earlier experiments with stainless steel were hit and miss. From my own experiences I would say they have corrected that.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:06 PM

Can I ask what the price range is on this knife as I'm in the market for a good quality knife and seems like you guys are in the know
Old 04-30-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Sproul View Post
Can I ask what the price range is on this knife as I'm in the market for a good quality knife and seems like you guys are in the know
About $100 will get you a nice one. They are great knives. Love that they're Canadian.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Quartering a moose by any means takes quite a bit more out of a knife than dressing and skinning a deer, all that hair really dulls up a knife. I have some old Scrades and the afore mentioned Bucks that will easily handle a deer but will not quarter a moose without re-sharpening.

Not trying to call you down, I've heard plenty of people belittle the stainless Grohmanns. But from my own experience which is mostly with the newer ones it is my theory that much like every other major knife maker, their earlier experiments with stainless steel were hit and miss. From my own experiences I would say they have corrected that.

I guess I got an older stocked one then. It doesn't hold an edge near as long as my Dad's and his is over 30 years older than mine.

Like you, not starting anything, just expressing actual, real world experience with these products, not the coulda/shoulda's. Like I said, I really do like it, it just doesn't hold an edge as long as most of my other knives. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have owned several over the years. If you ever go to Pictou N.S. you can get a tour of the place where they still make the knives. It was quite interesting and you can buy what the determine as "seconds" at a very reasonable price.
I purchased a couple of them and all they was were small cosmetic problems with the handles.

Ok great thanks and yes I like canadian made things aswell I will check them out
Old 04-30-2016, 05:10 PM

I'm from New Brunswick and have family in NS so next time I'm home I will check out the factory for sure
Old 04-30-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I guess I got an older stocked one then. It doesn't hold an edge near as long as my Dad's and his is over 30 years older than mine.

Like you, not starting anything, just expressing actual, real world experience with these products, not the coulda/shoulda's. Like I said, I really do like it, it just doesn't hold an edge as long as most of my other knives. Nothing more, nothing less.
Maybe his is carbon? If I ever get another one I'm going to try the carbon blade.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:17 PM
Banned

Nope, both stainless.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:29 PM

Great knives. I own two hunting knives and my brother has one too. I also have a couple of their kitchen knives. Great steel for the money. I order mine off their website. Even the factory seconds stuff is in great condition. The "flaws" on the two kitchen knives I ordered weren't noticeable. One had an extra pin in the handle and the plastic handled knife had a nick about the size of a mm calibration line on a kids ruler. Not bad for getting them at half price
Old 04-30-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

I can do a whole elk or moose with my cm-154 or ATS-34 knives. They take more to sharpen initially, but they hold an edge far longer than my carbon steel or 440 knives.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:00 PM

Had a couple. Still have one. Great knives actually.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:02 PM

I have owned my Bird Knife about 30 years and even had a custom made knife as a copy of it but with a 1" serrated section for sawing deer briskets. Enjoyed the factory tour too.....Pictou NS if you are ever in that area.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:07 PM
Banned

Arrow

I use too have one back in my military days; liked it then as it was free. Woudn't have went too the store and bought one for what it was; soft steel, barely held an edge.

Flipped over too Spyderco blades and never looked back. I do like the look of them and there leather sheaths.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:08 PM

Default Promo item

I 've got one given to me as a promo item but cant really say much about it as never used it. Looks nice but the puma game warden on my belt has been there since 1980 so I dont see substitutes happening in the foreseeable future.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I can do a whole elk or moose with my cm-154 or ATS-34 knives. They take more to sharpen initially, but they hold an edge far longer than my carbon steel or 440 knives.
Yep, there are better steels out there. I have an old "Western" brand knife with a carbon steel blade that holds an edge longer than my Grohmann. My point is that their current steel is good enough, IMO, to handle most of what I feel can reasonably be asked of a hunting knife. Do a whole season without re-sharpening? Probably not.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:41 PM

Default Knife

I've still got mine from scouts, it's done numerous animals and it's a good knife.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:29 PM

I have a #3 that is my general purpose blade, stays sharp enough. My wife bought me one of their folders a couple of years ago and it gets a fair amount of use as well, blade works well for skinning out rabbits and small game. I've been thinking about picking up a #4 but I don't know if I could actually make use of a "survival" blade or not.