Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-30-2016, 07:40 PM

I own 2 and absolutely love them
Old 04-30-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Yep, there are better steels out there. I have an old "Western" brand knife with a carbon steel blade that holds an edge longer than my Grohmann. My point is that their current steel is good enough, IMO, to handle most of what I feel can reasonably be asked of a hunting knife. Do a whole season without re-sharpening? Probably not.
Yea was not happy with some of their stainless steel lots when they started offering them but love the high carbon lades.
I like the fact t they sharpen fast with a crock stick and stay sharp for one animal at least. Only takes a few swipes to get them back.
Cat
Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
This seems to be an Original D H Russell I have used for many years. AFIK it was made before Grohmann assumed the manufacture of these knives. It is stainless so that throws me off a bit. Anyone know for sure ?
Doesn't say Grohman other side?
It looks to be one of the early stainless Russlels.
Cat
Old 04-30-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Yea was not happy with some of their stainless steel lots when they started offering them but love the high carbon lades.
I like the fact t they sharpen fast with a crock stick and stay sharp for one animal at least. Only takes a few swipes to get them back.
Cat
Exactly, and compared to anything else in their price range I feel the steel is highly competitive to say the least.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:01 PM

I bought a couple of Grohmanns one time at a flea market ( they were new in the box) I was very disappointing in them .They were stainless and wouldn't keep an edge for anything,it seemed they went dull in the sheath . I ditched the one I had kept for myself I think my Son kept his. I liked the look an feel of it in the hand but the steel was crap. I am sure it was just a luck of the draw thing as I have rarely read a bad thing about them so, not slagging the brand .I just was not impressed with the particular ones I had.

I continued on with my trusty Oldtimer drop blade. After more than 30 yrs with it ,it just seems wrong if I don't have it along on every hunt.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:24 PM

Default Knives

I bought a # 3 canadian Army w Overlap sheath and Rosewood handle that has yet to be used, I was waiting for my Puma White Hunter to wear out. :0

Day to day knife is an original Kershaw kai japan Black Horse folder in a pancake holster that my old buddy Chuck Rollins (RIP) made for me.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:39 PM

Super knife, I received mine as a gift from my Dad in 65'. It's addressed countless deer 4 Elk and a dozen Moose. Not to mention cooking. It keeps a great edge and only needs occasional sharpening. Very comfy in the hand.

I've bought all my son's one apiece. I've always meant to pick up the Trout and bird version. One thing that I always loved is the Sheath. It encloses the knife completely and doesn't catch on brush. The Grommet hole & lanyard is handy when cleaning a big animal because you don't have to put the knife down just let it hang. Lots of pluses with the blade design for cutting and skinning.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-30-2016, 09:22 PM

I first tried the original about 50 years ago. My cousin owned it. It must have been carbon steel because the blade was about as dark as a hockey puck. I really liked it. It sharpened easily and stayed sharp till the job was done and then all it needed was a touch up. I did not buy one for myself till I did a tour of the factory at Pictou around 1990. They offered 25% off so I bought four. I liked the looks of the #3 because that is the same one that the sailors on the Bluenose II used. I kept the #3 for myself and gifted the others. I still got that stainless #3 but I have never been happy with the deal. When I got back to Calgary Wholesale Sports regular price was less than the 25% off factory discount. After using it for a couple seasons I also come to the conclusion that the sailors on the Bluenose II used them because it was Canadian manufacture and were free issue. Lucky I was a knifeoholic and have lots of usable knives.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Doesn't say Grohman other side?
It looks to be one of the early stainless Russlels.
Cat
No Grohmann markings . Also no thong hole in the handle.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:20 AM

My father and grandfather always used them - and this was the first knife that was given to me as a boy. This is still the knife I use today.

Regards.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Banned

I got all kinds of knives, but I always have my grohmann for my hunting pack.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

I got one that was issued to me in 1990, part of our fly away gear when we would fly all around North America to fix broken jets. I returned the gear in 1992 the year my son was born, gentlemen said keep it you earned it, I gave it to my son for his first hunting knife and he carries it.
One bull moose and a few deer later for him.

Great knife.
Great history and it Canadian!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-01-2016, 09:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
About $100 will get you a nice one. They are great knives. Love that they're Canadian.
They got the folder version now too! Anyone own one of those? I have been looking and it would be a maybe purchase in the future.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-01-2016, 09:34 AM

I've got an original, and a mini caper, great knives, they hold an edge ok, and I'm happy with them.
They can be edge angle sensitive, using my Lansky sharpener I found a 20 degree edge angle to give me better results. Most other knives I've owned do good at 25 degrees edge angle.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-01-2016, 09:39 AM

I've got the mini skinner. I love the size and shape of it but the steel is not the best. It is a bit chippy and can be hard to get it real sharp and then it will loose the edge fairly quick. Even though the steel isn't the greatest I still use it and carry it my pack due to how much I like working with it in the hand.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:40 AM

I am still on the prowl for one like I was issued back in the day. Can't reme. If it had grohmann stamped on it or not...been too long!
Old 05-01-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I am still on the prowl for one like I was issued back in the day. Can't reme. If it had grohmann stamped on it or not...been too long!
We're you CAF?
Cat
Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 AM

Started out in airforce...ended up in Army...not the usual career progression
Old 05-01-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Started out in airforce...ended up in Army...not the usual career progression
HAHA! Thanks for you service - that would be the SARTAC knife I believe you are looking for I think they also call it the boat knife?

Cat
Old 05-01-2016, 10:07 AM

If my foggy memory is correct I think it was like this one

http://www.greatadventure.ca/00cart/...idproduct=2702

I still remember when they brought out the Gerber multi tools. I (like most others) had already bought my own Leatherman when they started to issue them.

We had to hand in our C5 pocket knife to receive the new Gerbers. I had lost my C5 in the bush somewhere along the way so never did get the damn gerber.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:19 AM

Yes, same as the boat knife but the sheath is a fold over whereas the oat knife has an open top sheath.
PM incoming!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-02-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:33 AM

My dad had one for years and then decided this christmas to give it to me. The sheath had been damaged, so he bought me a new one and had it shipped. Can't wait to use it this hunting season. Pic is on the link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAgOzFuE...fithunter_mica
Old 05-02-2016, 10:01 PM

I have the "Trout and Bird" version which I think is pretty slick. It is actually a bit big for the trout and birds I work on, but it's a very nice skinner. There are actually a fair number of Canadian Knife makers. Another fairly popular one from Nova Scotia is "TripleX Knives" which have a number of comparably priced knives to Grohmann. They might be worth a look if your in the market.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:08 PM

I like the shape, and that they're made in Canada, but I want more info than just stainless or carbon when it comes to blade materials. They always get good reviews, so perhaps I'll try one eventually.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymallus arcticus View Post
I have the "Trout and Bird" version which I think is pretty slick. It is actually a bit big for the trout and birds I work on, but it's a very nice skinner. There are actually a fair number of Canadian Knife makers. Another fairly popular one from Nova Scotia is "TripleX Knives" which have a number of comparably priced knives to Grohmann. They might be worth a look if your in the market.
I have this knife as well, bought it at a auction sale for 6 bucks. Best deal I got!
The boys call it my butter knife.

It's my gutting knife for every thing, holds an edge and sharpens very easy and quick.

TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:51 PM

Here are mine with custom sheath made by Coho 911.

Funny story (well not so funny come to think of it) about grohmans POS factory sheath. I was on a fly in sheep hunt. We made a spike camp and hunted from there throwing spotting scope and knife in framepack. Sat down, leaned back on a rock. Felt the very slightest miniscule thistle jab just below shoulder blade. Knife had come out and turned sideways in pack. Had I fallen or just even leaned back hard I would have lunged myself and probably dies waiting for a float plane.

I have used them for years. Had a local knife maker pin the handles as glue on buffalo horn was letting go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smugshot_57451-M.jpg (150.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 05-02-2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymallus arcticus View Post
I have the "Trout and Bird" version which I think is pretty slick. It is actually a bit big for the trout and birds I work on, but it's a very nice skinner.
Catch bigger birds and trout. Problem solved.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Yep, there are better steels out there. I have an old "Western" brand knife with a carbon steel blade that holds an edge longer than my Grohmann. My point is that their current steel is good enough, IMO, to handle most of what I feel can reasonably be asked of a hunting knife. Do a whole season without re-sharpening? Probably not.
And why would you want to? I will take a softer blade that I can quickly field sharpen any day. But up here the critters are pretty big so even the best knife will need to be sharpened halfway through. Softer ones need more sharpening but are quicker to sharpen. A good steel and Bobs your uncle.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
They got the folder version now too! Anyone own one of those? I have been looking and it would be a maybe purchase in the future.
A guy at work has one and was showing it off, and while its a nice knife its not for me. The handle is BIG and pretty blocky feeling, it looks like a #1 but it doesn't feel like it in the hand. When I put it to him he had to admit he prefered the #1. My own opinion is that you can get a Buck 110 for a third of the price, or you could get the Buck custom shop to make you a custom lockback with stag scales and whatever blade steel you want for the same price...

The smaller lockback that Grohmann just brought out however is much more reasonably priced, the handle looks like it might feel better, and the dimensions sound just about perfect to me.

I'll join in the show and tell with a picture of what are by far my most used knives in recent years

The SAK Farmer I carry every day, the Grohmann #1 is always in my day pack, and the Leatherman is usually hanging from my belt on any serious outdoor adventure.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:10 AM

Love my Grohman knife. I've had it for many years. It has certainly earned its keep.