Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-03-2016, 08:40 AM

Default Sask whitetail draws

The non-resident whitetail draws as well as all our resident draws are now on the Sask Envirement site and available to put in for now. Looks like pretty much all the same as last year, other than an earlier closing date for the applications. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Banned

Whoopie, the family first system blows.

I'll make my donation while I submit my utility and property tax payments.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:32 AM

I'm sure our economy will flourish with your FOUR dollar donation. If you can't afford it or you have to complain about it every time your here maybe just hunt at home or sell the property then everyone will be happy. Good luck to everyone . It's not a perfect system but it is a good one.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:01 PM

Family first system rocks.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Banned

They need an alberta born system implemented. For draws too. Low and behold I'll be hunting moose every year while the Canadians sit by and watch haha
Old 05-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
I'm sure our economy will flourish with your FOUR dollar donation. If you can't afford it or you have to complain about it every time your here maybe just hunt at home or sell the property then everyone will be happy. Good luck to everyone . It's not a perfect system but it is a good one.
So you support system in which others ( Canadian resident ) are discriminated against ?

The current system is terrible, you would think they would at least adjust the "family first" to when successful, you drop into the standard system like the rest of the nonresidents Canadians.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
So you support system in which others ( Canadian resident ) are discriminated against ?

The current system is terrible, you would think they would at least adjust the "family first" to when successful, you drop into the standard system like the rest of the nonresidents Canadians.
So if you draw a tag, are no no longer family?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So if you draw a tag, are no no longer family?
Here lies the problem Elk, those who receive the "move to the front of the line" treatment also lean towards the entitlement side.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Here lies the problem Elk, those who receive the "move to the front of the line" treatment also lean towards the entitlement side.
I drew a couple of tags using the family first initiative, but I didn't apply last year, I am not applying this year, and I will likely never apply again, because I only applied using the family first initiative when I was using the initiative as SERM intended it to be used, which is to hunt with family. Now that my father has passed away, and I will not be hunting with family, I won't be applying at all, so your odds just went up. You are welcome.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:13 PM

It's the best system in place.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
I agree. Let's me hunt with my Dad.

Only way to make it better would be to add a middle pool for sponsored by a friend.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
I drew a couple of tags using the family first initiative, but I didn't apply last year, I am not applying this year, and I will likely never apply again, because I only applied using the family first initiative when I was using the initiative as SERM intended it to be used, which is to hunt with family. Now that my father has passed away, and I will not be hunting with family, I won't be applying at all, so your odds just went up. You are welcome.
We have gone round and round on this Elk, as you state you have drawn the tag both times you applied, most have never drawn since the inception of this family first initiative. You could have most likely drawn again last year and this year if you applied as there is no limits placed on this faulty system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
Not even close, there is pretty much none existent "rules" in place when utilizing this current system, like your family member has to participate in the hunt... Who cares if you MIL lives there and has a HAL so you qualify. System has been abused and until there is transparency and limits, well this is simply a discriminating against the nonresident Canadian in which their family has no current ties to Saskatchewan.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:47 PM

I know how we could free up some available hunting for whitetail. How about we ban any non-residents from owning tracts of land, I.E. prime quarter sections of wildlife habitat land that are all posted so the non-residents friends can all come from out of province and have exclusive access to said lands. I believe you, Leafy have such a piece of land as you have said in other posts. In some areas of the province, particularly the Porcupine Plain area a large number of people with some money and mostly non-resident have purchased hunting land and now it's off limits to everyone, including themselves if they have no family there. Untill the whitetail rebound over a few good years the rules you see now are the best option FOR MOST.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
We have gone round and round on this Elk, as you state you have drawn the tag both times you applied, most have never drawn since the inception of this family first initiative. You could have most likely drawn again last year and this year if you applied as there is no limits placed on this faulty system.
The zone that I applied for had fairly good odds for drawing at the time, a friend that hunted with my father and I did not use the family first option, and he still drew his tags.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-03-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:23 PM

I do not know any jurisdiction that does not have some protections in place for resident hunters and some restrictions on non-resident Canadians. The Provinces are not all the same but they all discriminate in some way, and so they should.

Saskatchewan just recently changed to protecting resident opportunity, coincident with a big decline in available game animals due to severe winter kills a few years ago.

Our representative on the Wildlife Advisory Committee briefs the Saskatchewan Black Powder Assn. on the process and the discussions behind the scenes.

No system is perfect, but I am confident that Saskatchewan is trying hard to be well managed.
I guess, if you don't like the non-resident rules, you could move here, pay taxes here, take part in political process here, and generally be a Saskatchewan guy or gal.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
I know how we could free up some available hunting for whitetail. How about we ban any non-residents from owning tracts of land, I.E. prime quarter sections of wildlife habitat land that are all posted so the non-residents friends can all come from out of province and have exclusive access to said lands. I believe you, Leafy have such a piece of land as you have said in other posts. In some areas of the province, particularly the Porcupine Plain area a large number of people with some money and mostly non-resident have purchased hunting land and now it's off limits to everyone, including themselves if they have no family there. Untill the whitetail rebound over a few good years the rules you see now are the best option FOR MOST.
Oh boy, yes I own some tracks of land in Sask, from central to northern in which the land is not in production.. The irony here is these tracks of land were always off limits to the general public, since I purchased these lands I have allowed a great amount of hunting on ALL parcels. The majority ( 90% ) would be residents and may be ( 10 % ) are nonresidents.

I have spent less than 4 hours total actually hunting whitetail in your province my whole life, so your animosity towards myself is nothing more than jealousy..

Onto the idea of free enterprise and the ability to invest ones money where they feel the most comfortable... Who are you to dream up such a ridiculous idea that the dirt inside your imaginary boarder belongs to the residents ? You realize I am Canadian like yourself, which province I decide to call home is my own business.

Last edited by Leafy; 05-04-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:42 AM

No animosity toward you at all and CERTAINLY no jealousy. You came on here complaining about a rule that according to the posts and replys you are in a majority of ONE. The non-resident regs are what they are, good for the wildlife in Saskatchewan no matter how much cash one can show. If you want to hunt so badly here sell a piece of land and hire an outfitter. Your missing the whole point as Elkhunter and others have pointed out, it's about a visit and family spending hunting time together. It's a good regulation and I hope it stays for a while.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
No animosity toward you at all and CERTAINLY no jealousy. You came on here complaining about a rule that according to the posts and replys you are in a majority of ONE. The non-resident regs are what they are, good for the wildlife in Saskatchewan no matter how much cash one can show. If you want to hunt so badly here sell a piece of land and hire an outfitter. Your missing the whole point as Elkhunter and others have pointed out, it's about a visit and family spending hunting time together. It's a good regulation and I hope it stays for a while.
What the heck are you talking about ? You feel the non-resident system is good for the wildlife in Saskatchewan ? You do realize each zone has a quota in which the family first pool moves to the front of the line, receives their tags and the scraps if any are offered to the rest. Makes zero difference as the quota is set prior to distribution.

You may want to read my comments again, I have had many opportunity to hunt your province, I have chose not too and just feel that any system which discriminates with-out checks and balances is going to be abused.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:47 AM

I can just see the response that SERM would probably have if a large number of non residents were to voice their complaints about the way that the Canadian Whitetail Deer tags are being handled. SERM would likely just cancel all non resident tags, and then the people complaining would likely be even more upset. People seem to forget that Saskatchewan has the right to manage their game populations as they choose, they don't owe anything to the non residents. That imaginary line that is the provincial border, is not imaginary when it comes to each province's rights.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:57 AM
Banned

Where would one find out more info on the sask zones and draw success? Prefer a pm as to avoid thousands seeing the info.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Being that it took all of about fifteen seconds to find, I will post it for all to see. The tag quotas have been greatly reduced since I drew my tags during the first two years the draw was in place.

https://saskatchewanlicences.active....CDNResults2015
Old 05-04-2016, 10:29 AM

SERM cut down non-resident tag numbers !!!! All zones !!!!!! To accomodate a lot of Sask residents that had NON-RESIDENT family who came home every fall to participate in an annual whitetail hunt/family get together they have some whitetail tags available for those people. Is it that hard to understand. If you have choosen to NOT participate in the hunting in Saskatchewan because, as you say, you don't agree with SERM's policy then what are you whinning about. Wow. And I've read your posts--every one saying the same thing. Your not a happy boy. Suck it up and hunt at home. As has been said--complain to SERM, not us. We MAY know what SERM will tell you but go for it. You do realize it is a priveledge to hunt in another province, not your's or my right. I can imagine how load you would be crying if the Alberta game dept let me come to Alberta and hunt deer where ever I pleased. Not going to and shouldn't happen.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
SERM cut down non-resident tag numbers !!!! All zones !!!!!! To accomodate a lot of Sask residents that had NON-RESIDENT family who came home every fall to participate in an annual whitetail hunt/family get together they have some whitetail tags available for those people. Is it that hard to understand. If you have choosen to NOT participate in the hunting in Saskatchewan because, as you say, you don't agree with SERM's policy then what are you whinning about. Wow. And I've read your posts--every one saying the same thing. Your not a happy boy. Suck it up and hunt at home. As has been said--complain to SERM, not us. We MAY know what SERM will tell you but go for it. You do realize it is a priveledge to hunt in another province, not your's or my right. I can imagine how load you would be crying if the Alberta game dept let me come to Alberta and hunt deer where ever I pleased. Not going to and shouldn't happen.
You do realize Alberta provides way more opportunity for the non-resident than Saskatchewan right ? You can come ever year under a hunter host ( no one moves to the front of the line here ) for general tags or successful draw on species which we Albertan's can't hunt in Saskatchewan.

I guess you and Elk support land owner tags, treaty rights and any other system which discriminates against other Canadians ? Can't pick and choose bud to suit your own personal needs... Just wait till the wildlife resources are so dismal that only treaty and those who own land can hunt, it will happen with attitudes and the self entitlement you have.

Moving on, good luck this season.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
You do realize Alberta provides way more opportunity for the non-resident than Saskatchewan right ? You can come ever year under a hunter host ( no one moves to the front of the line here ) for general tags or successful draw on species which we Albertan's can't hunt in Saskatchewan.

I guess you and Elk support land owner tags, treaty rights and any other system which discriminates against other Canadians ? Can't pick and choose bud to suit your own personal needs... Just wait till the wildlife resources are so dismal that only treaty and those who own land can hunt, it will happen with attitudes and the self entitlement you have.

Moving on, good luck this season.
I don't support any person having more rights than another person because of race or religion, but I do support a province that puts it's taxpayers first.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:18 PM

Maybe if we put it really- REALLY simple you will understand Leafy. Let's call it a hunter host program with not enough whitetail to go around so we put those tags up for a draw. No discrimination, no race privelages involved, just the luck of the draw if you qualify. You see it now. And by the way. Should I think Alberta is discriminating because I don't have relatives or know anyone there that hunts so now I can't use the hunter host program. One cannot think of only themselves.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't support any person having more rights than another person because of race or religion, but I do support a province that puts it's taxpayers first.
I am a tax payer in Saskatchewan, thousands of dollars actually. You do support the move to the front of the line (more rights) as the family first gig allows this. Hint, look back at Eva, this is in your neck of the woods actually (Asquith area), on film no family.. Now tell me how "fair" the system is when there are zero checks and balances. Don't try an weasel out of this example either, no non-resident (with-out the family first option) was successfully drawn in the SMZ that year due to the "family first" mopped up the low count available.

Quote:
Maybe if we put it really- REALLY simple you will understand Leafy. Let's call it a hunter host program with not enough whitetail to go around so we put those tags up for a draw. No discrimination, no race privelages involved, just the luck of the draw if you qualify. You see it now. And by the way. Should I think Alberta is discriminating because I don't have relatives or know anyone there that hunts so now I can't use the hunter host program. One cannot think of only themselves.
Your example is terrible to prove YOUR point as their is no discrimination here in Alberta which is what I have been saying all along

By the way, I support opportunity and equality, so if your serious I will host you here and show you the area no problem. Drop me a PM and we can look at something.

Now I am done

Last edited by Leafy; 05-04-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:02 PM

All I can say is I'm extremely happy that they at least brought in a draw system. My zone (zone 55) was always packed when it came to the non-resident season when people could just buy a tag. And looking at the draw numbers, its where the most people apply to hunt. Definitely seen a drop in people just driving on my land during hunting season. Yes family system may be abused, but at least they are relieving some pressure on the wildlife.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:41 PM

Sorry leafy but the Shockey family IS from Saskatoon. The family lived on Harrison Cres for many years across the street from a friend of mine. Still has family here. Odd you feel no discrimination there but you do here. Could it be sour grapes about dumping a bunch of cash and now the rules have changed so you can not use that windfall ???
Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry leafy but the Shockey family IS from Saskatoon. The family lived on Harrison Cres for many years across the street from a friend of mine. Still has family here. Odd you feel no discrimination there but you do here. Could it be sour grapes about dumping a bunch of cash and now the rules have changed so you can not use that windfall ???
Sorry but their residency is not Saskatchewan MH, look to the province that stands for bring cash. I am certain of what I have said, you may wish to research your claims.

Quick link to story ( 2014 )

http://johninthewild.com/eva-shockey...wan-deer-hunt/

Brian certainly is not family

No sour grapes either man, as I have said already I have spent less than 4 hours hunting your province for whitetail and I live less than a half hour away from the wheat curtain. As well, I have been enjoying this passion for over 3 decades, well before there was any draw system in your province.

Anyways, enjoy the season.

Last edited by Leafy; 05-04-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:45 PM

I didn't say Jim or Eva lived here but they have family members here. Jim's father Hal DID live here all his life untill he passed a year or so ago, I met him many times. If they ( Eva and Jim ) have family they can apply for the draw just like you ( or someone with family here ). Man have you been smoking the leafy stuff. You lied, you said you were done.