Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 PM

Default Fly-In Access

Hey just wondering if anyone out there has used fly-in access to hunt Alberta's backcountry, or may know someone or know where to look. I am new to hunting but am experienced in extended backcountry trips.
I am putting together an Elk trip for September but time off work is limited, so I would like to maximize hunting time and minimize time hiking in and (hopefully) packing out. Any area I get into I would like to get back in past 10-15 miles, hopefully thinning out some pressure this way.
I am looking into the Willmore Wilderness, but what research I've done shows this get's pretty crowded...would fly-in access even be legal here?...as with the Ya-Ha Tinda. Any knowledge as to whether the crowds thin out and the country opens up past 10-15 miles? I am open to suggestions and ideas. As said, I'm pretty new (bagged 2 deer my first season last year) so I've got a steep learning curve going on (I've read/researched nothing but since October!) I am also new to Alberta's backcountry, but I do have a BA degree in outdoor leadership and eduction, so being in the deep backwoods is not an issue for me. Feel free to private message me. Thanks!
1)Fly in Access, contacts, information?
2)Fly in access legal in Willmore?
3)Suggestions on where to go to get past pressure?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:46 PM

Willmore: not legal.

Outside of willmore, elk don't really exist in great numbers "way back in"....most of the large herds live in protected areas (public or private) and close to agricultural feeding grounds. It's more a matter of who you know, to get access. Certainly there are elk in various backcountry locations, but you would be looking for a long time before even getting a glimpse of them. Not a high percentage hunt for a limited amount of time. Flying somewhere won't likely improve your odds.

What you're speaking of would be better as a moose hunt, but you probably don't have the priority yet.

FYI: Guys on quads go a lot further than 10 miles just to setup camp. You won't be leaving anyone behind.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:26 PM

Fair enough, thanks for the input.
My 10-15 mile figure was figured on no motorized vehicles in the willmore (and no motorized in ya-ha?). I know thered be some pack trains way back in but figured most weekend hunters and horses would stay in under 20 miles from parking lots/roads. Thus flying in would get me way out quick, but if its not legal and theres limited Elk Ill rethink my trip.
I live a little ways out in the prairies...dont even know where to start scouting and knocking on doors to get connections to private land. Wont private land be pretty quiet in September as the Elk stay in the high park country? November seems like the best time for the low country? Am I right in my facts?
Kind of set on trying to pack my way around less people (backcountry). I hunted west of Rocky last season and couldnt believe the amount of people. Not necessarily a negative thing...happy so many enjoy it...but....that being said, im not against hunting "front" country or private. Elk, regardless of where its shot, is still meat in the freezer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2016, 09:36 AM

You could do a fly in for moose in the north east corner of the province. That would get you away from the crowds and into a wilderness hunt. You could join someone from bc on a fly in hunt for elk in a few places near the prophet and muskwa area with a permit to accompany. As for hunting the front country for elk, they are there. Just need to get off the roads and trail and away from everyone that is disturbing them. They live right under everyones nose.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?