Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 08:58 AM

Default Store Bought Corned Beef

Did not want to derail the thread on making Corned Beef as I don't want to make my own. Anyone know who sells good Corned Beef on the North Side of Edmonton. Bought some from Superstore, it wasn't great. The stuff from the other stores I have tried is pretty mediocre. Finding good Italian style processed meats is easy but have not found a good spot for Deli style processed meats like Montreal Smoked, Corned Beef etc.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Did not want to derail the thread on making Corned Beef as I don't want to make my own. Anyone know who sells good Corned Beef on the North Side of Edmonton. Bought some from Superstore, it wasn't great. The stuff from the other stores I have tried is pretty mediocre. Finding good Italian style processed meats is easy but have not found a good spot for Deli style processed meats like Montreal Smoked, Corned Beef etc.
Not sure what Edmonton has for farmers markets, but I get great Montreal smoked meat at the Calgary one.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:15 AM

Try Refinery Grill, I know they do off sales of Montreal smoked meat, that many vouche for, they may have corned beef!
Old 01-22-2021, 10:29 AM

Maybe the Italian center, west side?
Old 01-22-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol whitey View Post
Maybe the Italian center, west side?

I shop there and the one downtown a lot, that is why I can find Italian processed meats so easily. I have never seen Montreal Smoked or Corn Beef but will look again next time I go in.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:34 AM
Banned

These guys are pretty good http://www.bensmeats.com/
Stony Plain Road and 157st
Old 01-22-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
These guys are pretty good http://www.bensmeats.com/
Stony Plain Road and 157st
Cant go wrong with Bens, I love how they cleaned the place up!
Old 01-23-2021, 09:02 AM

You guys are right, Ben's Corned Beef is excellent. Also found a place in Sherwood Park that gets great reviews called Charlies Place. Going to pick some up there next week to compare. Now have Widnowskis on 118 Ave for Sausage, Italian centre on 95 St for Italian processed and Ben's for European.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:15 AM

Dean, did you have corned beef last night? If so, what was a brined brisket worth a pound if you dont mind sharing?
Old 01-23-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Dean, did you have corned beef last night? If so, what was a brined brisket worth a pound if you dont mind sharing?

Sandwich for lunch yesterday. Just bought small amount of shaved meat to try, don't recall the price. Will be going back soon so will look at price of a whole brisket for you.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Was there today so checked for you. Cooked is 3.99 per 100 g, if you buy a large chunk 3.49 and uncooked is 3.06 but it isn't a whole brisket it is just the point. They don't actually make it themselves it comes from a supplier. It is really good though.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:10 PM

If you ever shop at Costco, they have Schwartz Montreal smoked meat that's pretty tasty, comes in individual vacuum packed portions...I enjoy it
Old 02-03-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniaw24 View Post
If you ever shop at Costco, they have Schwartz Montreal smoked meat that's pretty tasty, comes in individual vacuum packed portions...I enjoy it
Sobeys sells these to, they arent bad
Old 02-03-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniaw24 View Post

Havent seen it at Costco here in the Hat for a while now....
It is indeed very good,and the individual packages are pretty handy.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Was there today so checked for you. Cooked is 3.99 per 100 g, if you buy a large chunk 3.49 and uncooked is 3.06 but it isn't a whole brisket it is just the point. They don't actually make it themselves it comes from a supplier. It is really good though.
Thanks Dean. That’s $13.89 a pound for brined brisket. I’ll keep brining my own.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:08 PM

Could try some Newfie salt beef

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dean. That’s $13.89 a pound for brined brisket. I’ll keep brining my own.
I thought you might. They have very good Montreal smoked beef, corned beef and jerky but it isn't cheap. With only two of us that only eat it once or twice a month we don't eat enough to make it worthwhile to make our own but if you go through any amount the brined briskets at Costco or brining your own is definitely WAY cheaper.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:30 PM

I know freson brothers in stony plain has it at their deli and its really goodand im pretty sure its made in store.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:34 PM
Banned

So, in an earlier thread about making your own corned beef, I got really interested in doing that. Problem was the briskets were so huge to purchase to consume for 2 of us. ($42)
Finally, just after Christmas Superstore, had them in 1KG packages each. I bought that deal and have them to continue on, using all the tips from that thread.
On to this thread Dean2 started. I was at the Italian Centre store 95st Edmonton, as usual every Saturday purchasing my weekly cold cuts for the week. I looked up at the board and they had Corned Beef on the list. I asked the clerk if I could see what it looked like. The price per kg seemed acceptable to me. He showed a couple chunks and weighed them. I decided on taking 1.75kgs. $45
Fast forward to last nights dinner, I used an Instant Pot recipe to make Corned Beef(with the pickling items required) and cabbage. Absolutely PHENOMENAL!! Still too much for 2 of us, BUT shared with a couple others
Now I'm confused what to do with the chunks I have in the freezer? It IT store product turned out amazing.The 10 days of pickling the meat, has a downside or me