Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2021, 03:34 PM

Default House Window Replacement

Hello everyone, our house is in need of couple new windows and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good window company here in Calgary or Okotoks? Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Old 01-12-2021, 04:10 PM

Had Western windows and doors do two for me and am very impressed with them. They will do an in person quote and are fairly accurate as to time frame from building the windows to installation. Great warranty as well if they get broken first repair is free.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:53 PM

Be sure to research your energy efficiency upgrade rebates. You already paid so might as well apply.

B.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:47 AM

I would strongly suggest looking at companies who actually manufacture there brand of windows in Alberta. If I recall correctly Supreme Windows has a plant in or around the Calgary area, another manufacturer is All Weather Windows with a plant in the Edmonton area, either of these companies service the entire Alberta region.

I went with All Weather Windows a number of years back, I replaced every window in the residence with triple pane, dual argon filled, casement or awning style. They provided an excellent product and the installation was also top notch, not a single problem with their products years later.

Compare warranty, measurement and installation processes etc.

Just do a little research, stick with the local manufacturers, and stay away from the big box store brands. Replacing old windows in a residence is probably one of the best energy conserving renovations that can be done and the comfort level is greatly improved.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:53 AM

We went with Supreme Windows in Calgary and are very happy with the product (made in Calgary) and service.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
We went with Supreme Windows in Calgary and are very happy with the product (made in Calgary) and service.
We used Supreme windows, good product however one picture window developed a pressure crack. No problem warranty right ? Well they said they would come take care of it. That was months ago. They keep stalling us saying that we live too far out of town and need other jobs nearby to make it work. Probably great company if you live in or close to Calgary. If you live in rural Alberta, they might ignore you.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
We used Supreme windows, good product however one picture window developed a pressure crack. No problem warranty right ? Well they said they would come take care of it. That was months ago. They keep stalling us saying that we live too far out of town and need other jobs nearby to make it work. Probably great company if you live in or close to Calgary. If you live in rural Alberta, they might ignore you.
That is terrible service.
I had 2 windows crack after a reno job.
One even made a loud noise when it failed.
The local glass company got replacements from calgary
as soon as they could and replaced them.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:01 PM

There's also lux windows
Old 01-21-2021, 06:10 PM

I have replaced all of our main floor windows with Lux triple panels in 2017 and have been happy with the quality. Just replaced all the lower floor walkout windows with same in 2021, and happy with the service and installation quality.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:54 PM

Go with a reputable local company - way easier for any warrantee issues.

We went with Lux (a bit more money for the quality and reputation) and we're SUPER happy!

-Confucius
Old 01-22-2021, 06:53 AM

I bought a new triple pane patio door from Supreme Windows this summer, good product and good people. I also bought 2 other windows through Lowes, they were an Alumicraft product, they were well done as well and Lowes was better than Home depot to deal with. I had to go with Lowes because sliders are a rare breed in the triple pane world apparently.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:36 AM

Don't us All Weather Windows their customer service sucks
Old 01-22-2021, 05:16 PM

Off the top of my head Supreme, Gienow, Lux, CWD and All Weather are local window manufacturer who build/assemble their windows in Calgary. Home Depot and Lowe's source their windows from one of the locals.

Of those my favourite is Lux but they are expensive. I've ordered and install from all of them previously. Customer service is largely dependent on who you are dealing with at the moment. I would ask for a quote from as many as you can and pick the one you feel most comfortable with. Lowest price is not always the best option.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:28 PM

I used Window Seal West a couple years ago to replace 9 windows. They did a good job on the install but never came back to fix scuffed brick moulding (scuffed at their factory). Not the end of the world. Their price was awesome compared with competitors and communications were good. I’d use them again, but make sure I was 100% satisfied before final payment (I was 90%). Folks that came to measure & install were friendly & courteous. Local Calgary company so was another consideration (I like supporting local - we need more of it).
Old 01-22-2021, 07:36 PM

We just installed 5 triple pane All Weather windows.
2 of them came with off measurements but no prob once they were replaced and put in.
They had no use to take back the 2 odd ones, funny. So here they sit.

One is a door side window, aprx 77x25”, the other 29x26” frosted bathroom.
If you or anyone can use them, they are yours for 25- 30% of invoice.

TBark