Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2021, 05:21 PM

I was hoping for some criticism on this brisket I was able to pull off, because of you guys! Cant post a pic so maybe someone who knows what’s up could shoot me a email address or phone number I could send pics too!
Old 01-16-2021, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Try this recipe. Actually try all his recipes!

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ed-beef-recipe
Thank you for this awesome link!!!
I've been looking to make homemade corn beef for a 6 weeks. I keep finding brisket but in sizes too big for just 2 of us. I was at the Kingsway RCS today and I'll be darned, they had brisket in 3-4 lbs individually wrapped. Bought 2 to get going on the homemade corned beef. Killer will be pickling the brisket for 5 days Then into the Instant Pot
Old 01-16-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
I was hoping for some criticism on this brisket I was able to pull off, because of you guys! Cant post a pic so maybe someone who knows what’s up could shoot me a email address or phone number I could send pics too!
I use the Tapatalk app when I want to upload pics. Really user friendly.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:29 PM
AO Sponsor

Smoked up some side ribs today...

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-16-2021, 05:38 PM
Banned

^^ Dayuum
Old 01-16-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Thank you for this awesome link!!!
I've been looking to make homemade corn beef for a 6 weeks. I keep finding brisket but in sizes too big for just 2 of us. I was at the Kingsway RCS today and I'll be darned, they had brisket in 3-4 lbs individually wrapped. Bought 2 to get going on the homemade corned beef. Killer will be pickling the brisket for 5 days Then into the Instant Pot
Personally, I find the boil more important than the brining. You must brine but that recipe can basically be salt, water and cure. You can get fancy and dry-brine, or add some other spices but I find it doesn’t add as much flavour as what you boil it in, in the end. The boil with cabbage, carrots celery, onion, potatoes and spices makes it good corned beef in my experience. Also, if you have a smoker definitely get 15 pound briskets next time. Cut it into 4 and brine. After the brine dry off 3 of them and use your favourite rub. Smoke them, turning them into pastrami and freeze them. Everyone at work I’ll be jealous of your sandwiches.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:45 PM

Hopefully this works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I use the Tapatalk app when I want to upload pics. Really user friendly.
Thanks T appreciate the info, and thanks to everyone else who helped me, and dang are brisket sandwiches delicious, and boy do those ribs look amazing Bob!
Old 01-16-2021, 06:49 PM
AO Sponsor

Not a lot to criticize there at all bud! Looks spectacular! What was the taste and texture like? Seriously... Fabulous looking first brisket!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-16-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Hopefully this works!

Looks awesome!!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-16-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Not a lot to criticize there at all bud! Looks spectacular! What was the taste and texture like? Seriously... Fabulous looking first brisket!
I thought I was gona flop this one, but the meat was really to my liking not too firm, not too soft, I haven’t eaten much brisket in my life , and found that the taste was very rich! I doubt I would be able to eat 10 Oz of it in one sitting! Everyone else who ate it thought it was delicious, and I pretty much followed your guys advice the whole way threw! Look forward to the next!
Old 01-16-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Looks awesome!!!
!!!Thanks Ken!!! It’s amazing how a person can get so excited about something so simple!
Old 01-16-2021, 07:02 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I thought I was gona flop this one, but the meat was really to my liking not too firm, not too soft, I haven’t eaten much brisket in my life , and found that the taste was very rich! I doubt I would be able to eat 10 Oz of it in one sitting! Everyone else who ate it thought it was delicious, and I pretty much followed your guys advice the whole way threw! Look forward to the next!
Brisket is very rich... It isn’t something you eat like a huge steak for sure, but the sandwiches later are the best!!! Lol
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 01-16-2021, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Personally, I find the boil more important than the brining. You must brine but that recipe can basically be salt, water and cure. You can get fancy and dry-brine, or add some other spices but I find it doesn’t add as much flavour as what you boil it in, in the end. The boil with cabbage, carrots celery, onion, potatoes and spices makes it good corned beef in my experience. Also, if you have a smoker definitely get 15 pound briskets next time. Cut it into 4 and brine. After the brine dry off 3 of them and use your favourite rub. Smoke them, turning them into pastrami and freeze them. Everyone at work I’ll be jealous of your sandwiches.
Thank you, much appreciated
Old 01-17-2021, 08:19 AM

Default First Brisket

This is really making me hungry.... Thanks a lot!

Brisket is one of the thing I really want to try on the pellet grill... The results that I’m seeing in this thread are truly inspiring! Nicely done!
Old 01-22-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
The point is
Rubbed spiced and in the fridge. I’ll try to smoke it tomorrow.

Sorry to bring up old post, I’m doing 2nd brisket tomorrow and was gona spice it a little different, I was wondering why to wrap it, and is it ok to wrap with all the salt, or do you add salt right before putting it on the smoker, wouldn’t mind giving this a try!
Old 01-22-2021, 04:08 PM

Do most of you guys eat brisket cold or right after cooking?

I've been told it's meant to eat cold, just seems wrong to me.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

It was really good warm, but HOLY did it make amazing sandwichs
Old 01-22-2021, 04:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry to bring up old post, I’m doing 2nd brisket tomorrow and was gona spice it a little different, I was wondering why to wrap it, and is it ok to wrap with all the salt, or do you add salt right before putting it on the smoker, wouldn’t mind giving this a try!
I usually rub it up and wrap it tight before bed so I would say 6 to 8 hours before going on the grill. My standard go-to run is kosher salt, black pepper, onion and garlic. Most people say equal parts but I like a bit less salt and a bit extra pepper.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 01-22-2021, 04:36 PM

Default fat is good

dinner is ready at 16 min mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuwGL8JKPQQ&t=1134s

Last edited by fishtank; 01-22-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:45 PM

I've done a few briskets and they were great on varying levels. Still trying for the perfect one on my green egg. Had some brisket at Martin's BBQ in Nashville a few years ago and couldn't believe how melt in your mouth it was. Need to try to get to that level somehow.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I've done a few briskets and they were great on varying levels. Still trying for the perfect one on my green egg. Had some brisket at Martin's BBQ in Nashville a few years ago and couldn't believe how melt in your mouth it was. Need to try to get to that level somehow.
check the video above , at the 15 minute part wrap the brisket in butcher paper lest it cook then let it rest . especially the point part with the layer of fats literally melt in your mouth .
Old 01-22-2021, 06:33 PM

Hot.
Its the absolute best.

sandwiches and omelettes are very good too

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-22-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
check the video above , at the 15 minute part wrap the brisket in butcher paper lest it cook then let it rest . especially the point part with the layer of fats literally melt in your mouth .
Thanks for that. I always watch these threads in an attempt to get there! Looks incredible.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
A brisket is a big chunk of meat so it can handle the salt. If I’m only using SPOG, I’ll try to salt it 24hrs before and dry brine it. If I use a commercial rub I’ll just rub it about an hour before. You don’t want to salt it the day before and then do a commercial rub. The salt will be too much.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Hot is the best. And only slice what you’re going to eat. If you slice the whole thing, the leftovers will dry out. If we have a ton of leftovers, I’ll vac seal, freeze and then heat up in the sous vide when we want to eat it again.