Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 08:43 PM

Default Chernobyl HBO Miniseries

This is an absolutely haunting miniseries for those who remember this happening.

I have been to Ukraine, met with Directors of hospitals and care homes, and spoken with them of the ongoing effects of this disaster.

If you are interested in what the USSR was like, as well as what went down at Chernobyl, this is worth your time.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:12 PM
Gone Hunting

sns2 post link to this...

My youngest son was born about 5 weeks after the Chernobyl disaster.
We were still in Poland... I did buy all water bottles and powdered milk that I could with a manufacture date before this has happened.
We learned about this event from Radio Free Europe and not from Russian or Polish officials.
****en Communists' ideas coming to Canada and USA governments right now...they called Liberals and Democrats.
Time to go back...maybe...

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 01-21-2021, 09:26 PM

Saw a show on this. Very "haunting" as you described it. A crew was in there filming old schools, buildings, etc.. and in many cases it looked like they just up and ran out of there (which likely they did).

Trees growing up through windows, floors and walls.

Wildlife walking through cities and stuff.

Not to mention all the terrible health effects and long lasting effects.

Crazy thing was, on the "outskirts" (of where people began to resettle) there were people growing potatoes that were huge and bringing them to markets elsewhere.

Also saw the River Monsters guy catch some crazy large catfish in the cooling ponds ....

Haunting is a perfect way to describe it.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:41 PM

Watched this mini-series a while back. It indeed is an excellent show.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:53 PM

My boss's current wife was in Pripyat when the accident occurred. She gave birth to her daughter in 91. The radiation definitely did some damage there, they both have a few major screws loose.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-21-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarguy View Post
Watched this mini-series a while back. It indeed is an excellent show.
I watched it back in 2019 while at a firearms instructor course. Done real well and not to hollywooded up. Definitely a sad and scary time in not so long gone history.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:06 PM

Just another communist success story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chernobyl.jpg (18.0 KB, 91 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-21-2021, 10:39 PM

Lest we forget, we're still dealing with Fukushima and the time frame to clean that up is pushing a half century. Nuclear power in even highly qualified hands is a two edged sword. Chernobyl was bad enough, but it could have been even worse if the Western powers hadn't stepped in to deal with the situation.

Grizz
Old 01-22-2021, 06:35 AM

In April of 1993 I was working for Calgary Overseas at our project in Nizhnevartovsk Siberia when they had the nuclear blow out at Tomsk, as the crow flies we were about 1,000 km northwest of Tomsk and we were on evacuation alert for weeks.

The busiest guys in camp were the safety and environmental boy's doing air quality samples 24 hr a day but we never did have to evacuate, the prevailing winds are from the north and west and in the end we never missed a beat.

It does however make you stop and think for a minute about the dangers that are associated with working in so called 3rd world countries, of course we were still in our 30's then and bullet proof and the excitement of working in Siberia coupled with the money they were offering probably would have never changed a thing anyway. It obviously never scared me very bad because I spent the next 23 years working in various countries around the globe.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:40 AM

I have watched Chernobyl two times. A first-time year ago and the second time with my wife a few months ago.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:47 AM

A must watch for sure. Very well done.

Really shows just how dangerous Nuclear can be. The damage will last for centuries.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:51 AM

I was living in Moscow back when it happened and learned about the event from the Voice of America radio broadcast in Russian. Only a few days after we were informed thru the official channels that something happened.
There were not much of a panic in Moscow, but they recommended red wine as an antidote... I remember bringing home something around 40 bottles of red wine.... All I could find... Needless to say, we had a “radiation decontamination” parties for weeks to come...
Old 01-22-2021, 06:33 PM

Somewhat related, and one I found interesting, was a Wolves of Chernobyl (I think that’s what it was called). All about the thriving wolf population in the exclusion zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2021, 06:53 PM
Banned

Just want to remind: Chernobyl HBO Miniseries is a fiction, based on historic data, it is not a documentary.
And another fact - Chernobyl disaster happened when USSR was not ruled by bloody Stalin. Who was the leader of the USSR in 1986? Big friend of western world, the guy who destroyed the USSR, Nobel prize winner for peace, and mister Pizza Hat - Gorby!
Old 01-23-2021, 12:24 AM

The Movie "China Syndrome" is based on the Near meltdown of the Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Station.

The funny part of World Nuclear Reactor Safety is that the CANDU Reactor design is one of the safest of all the Nuclear Reactor Designs. But it is not exported other than a sale to India. India is now a nuclear power, with Pakistan and China also being nuclear powers as neighbours.

You see CANDU Reactors are "breeder reactors" that create weapons grade Plutonium. That is why you do not want the design in the wrong hands or in unstable Nations. That is why Canada does not sell them any more.

As for Chernobyl, the accident demonstrates how arrogance and ineptness by a few people, could have cost the lives of millions of people.

When the accident happened, large swaths of Europe, as well as Ukraine and Russia, were dosed heavily with radiation.

The problem for the world is that renewable energy such as wind, solar cells, and hydro, cannot increase fast enough to meet present and future demand without burning fossil fuels.

That leaves Nuclear Energy as the only viable option.

If a Fusion reactor ever could be contained, it would be the answer to an almost limitless power source. If a Fusion reaction ever lost containment, it would make a nuclear fission reaction look like child's play.

That is the world we now and will live in.

Or there is another answer to meeting the world's energy demand. That is to stop the arithmatic progression of the human race. We cannot meet the energy demands of the current 8.5 billion. Yet we are projected to grow to more than 10 billion in the next 30 years.

It seems that Nuclear Energy, and its risks, are inevitable.

Drewski
Old 01-23-2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
A must watch for sure. Very well done.

Really shows just how dangerous Nuclear can be. The damage will last for centuries.
Agree, fantastic show and must see TV for sure.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
Just want to remind: Chernobyl HBO Miniseries is a fiction, based on historic data, it is not a documentary.
And another fact - Chernobyl disaster happened when USSR was not ruled by bloody Stalin. Who was the leader of the USSR in 1986? Big friend of western world, the guy who destroyed the USSR, Nobel prize winner for peace, and mister Pizza Hat - Gorby!

Gorbachov might have been Head Cheese, but the old party hacks were still pulling the strings. Under the earlier rulers, it would have been Deny, Deny, Deny, till the end of time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyshtym_disaster

Grizz
Old 01-23-2021, 08:49 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
sns2 post link to this...

My youngest son was born about 5 weeks after the Chernobyl disaster.
We were still in Poland... I did buy all water bottles and powdered milk that I could with a manufacture date before this has happened.
We learned about this event from Radio Free Europe and not from Russian or Polish officials.
****en Communists' ideas coming to Canada and USA governments right now...they called Liberals and Democrats.
Time to go back...maybe...
With some Hungarian background and the world events on the go i watch what is happening in Hungary and Poland and their Prime Ministers thoughts- not far off what you mention.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:34 AM

Exclamation CANDU story is full of bribery and corruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
The funny part of World Nuclear Reactor Safety is that the CANDU Reactor design is one of the safest of all the Nuclear Reactor Designs. But it is not exported other than a sale to India. India is now a nuclear power, with Pakistan and China also being nuclear powers as neighbours.

You see CANDU Reactors are "breeder reactors" that create weapons grade Plutonium. That is why you do not want the design in the wrong hands or in unstable Nations. That is why Canada does not sell them any more.
FTR- AECL has sold CANDU reactors to India, Pakistan, Taiwan, South Korea, Argentina, and Romania. Interesting read on the history here:
http://www.ccnr.org/exports_1.html

Throughout the 1990's and early 2000's, the AECL was working on a multi reactor deal with China. That story has gone quiet since the Federal Government sold the AECL to SNC Lavalin for $15M in 2011. Wonder what they've been up to since then?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/aec...valin-1.985786

Doesn't it make you all warm and fuzzy to know that Canadian taxpayers have subsidized nuclear weapon technology for countries that support terrorists intent on attacking Western countries?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-23-2021, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the update on CANDU sale to SNC Lavelin, and the subsequent sales of the CANDU reactors around the world.

Knew about the sale to India, but not to the others. Likely done years later and no media coverage.

Some news sources reported that the India deal was very corrupt. But that is how business is done in Indial

Apparently Commissions in the millions paid to the local agents, and to who knows who else according to the news reports at the time. Atomic Energy Canada was desperate to make a sale of its product.

There are photos I have seen of human labour used to lift cooling tower components on the build, by hand! Imagine thousands of men lifting and pulling on ropes and beams and more stacking up blocking to support the cooling tower components.

And yet, these reactors have been running in India, and obviously in many other countries, without incident.

The Russian design was much less reliable based on Chernobyl.

Drewski