Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-10-2008, 09:42 PM

Default Carseland CG

Does anyone know whether the campground at Carseland is open yet?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 AM

Default Caresland

Yes the Campground is open. Was there April 15, 16 and 17. Travelled 10 minutes up stream of the weir to get to open water. Lots of Browns. I do not remeber when the weir to Hwy 24 opens but that section of the Bow is accessible from the Campground.

Have Fun!
Tony
Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 PM

The section of river from the downstream side of the bridge, upstream to the weir is closed from Apr 1st to May 31st and Oct 1 to Nov 30th. Yet its only about 2 KM's of river.

The Rainbows move upstream to find tributaries to spawn in spring, and Browns during the fall. The closure is to protect both while they stack-up since they cant get past the weir.

You can go upstream or even just downstream of the bridge. Great fishing and lots of big trout, yet don't expect to catch them all day unless you've put in lots of time on the Bow river.

Also there is a bait ban, and only maggots are allowed between aug 16th to Oct 31st, and only upstream of the Calgary weir. Not even scented jigs are allowed, and the CO's patrol there often.

If you plan on going there for the long weekend, I'd put your camper/tent on a site by Wednesday if you want a good site, Thursday if your happy with the left-overs. The place gets packed completely full before the weekend. Theres a couple over-flow campsites near by, but their pretty sad in comparison to Wyndham -Carseland Provincial Park.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:05 PM
jrs

"The closure is to protect both while they stack-up since they cant get past the weir."

I think there may be a smallish fish ladder on one side of the weir now. Not that important, figured it may just be worth mentioning. Don't fish the Bow myself (anytime recently anyway), does have some nice spots though.