Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2008, 06:57 PM

Default BC Alien coming to Calgary May 26,7,8

Hi folks, I'm new to your forum, and thought you may help w/ some direction.

I'm planning one day on the Bow River, and see I must start below the water control weir near the Bird Sanctuary, rather than below the Bearspaw, which was what I originally had hoped for.

As I'm shorebound, I don't expect to wander too far from that area, but also notice in the reg's some vague indication waters within the Sanctuary might be closed to angling.

My question & need for direction is: Is that section of the Bow completely within the bird sanctuary thus closed?, and If so, what would be a good spot for a shorebound fisher to spend a day? (that I could get to with some ease in my car)

Your wisdom & guidance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:29 PM

The waterways within the sanctuary (off the main river system) are off limits. You can see the side channels in the Google Earth image. If you use Google maps you can zoom in as well.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

I marked one spot I know that is close that is accessible easily. There are many other spots south from this location, but this is the closest I know of to the sanctuary.

Last edited by ULTRAlite; 05-14-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: link to pic
Old 05-15-2008, 12:07 AM

Default UltraLite... Thanks

The river channels look pretty interesting there. I didn't see the weir, is it further upstream?.. Closer to the Zoo?

And, is that the Fox Hollow golf course on the east?

Again, thanks.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:38 AM

Cliff, yeah the weir is further upstream about 1200m. I literally just discovered this spot that Ultralite marked. I was scouting for holes near my new house. Looks like is is heavily fished, there is a perfect place that has been patted down with a lot of people accessing the banks. Great looking spot though, I see a lot of people fishing the shoal that is just north, across the river from the Ultra's marked spot.
Ultra: Seeing as how you know of this spot, and most certainly fished it... Have you pulled any burbot out of that spot? Just curious.... Thanks