Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 07:03 PM

Default 2012 Yamaha 50 hp or other options??

I am looking for either a 40 or 50 tiller for my aluminum boat. If I buy a Yamaha 2012 50 hp 2 stroke tiller it will save me around $800 over a Mercury 40 4 stroke. I do alot of trolling and my current 2 stroke stalls alot.
Does anyone have any experience with this particular motor?

Is it worth it to spend the extra few bucks and get a new 4 stroke Merc and 10 less hp? What about other brands? Want to see whats best in the 40-50hp tiller market. Want steering tension/lock too.

I am open to 2 strokes just dont want stalling. Any experience/info/opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot,
Warm Breeze
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 PM

My trolling motor is a Honda 8hp 4 stroke and purrs like a cat when trolling. By the way it is a 1990.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 AM

Older 2 strokes begin to "foul up" when idling for a longer period of time and do tend to choke themselves out. They also cloud and stink up everything.

For trolling a 4 stroke is allways better when considering those two annoyances.

A Honda or Yamaha would be my first choices. They are bullet proof and reliable.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM

I would rather get a 4 stroke for my application. But in the interest of money...
I realize that the newer 2 strokes will still foul up but is it to the same extent of as ones 5-7+ years ago? Like, have they gotten any better at not fouling?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:27 PM

Is your current 2-stroke really old?

I'm partial to 2-strokes myself, the performance of the Yamaha you mentioned will be a bit better than the 4-stroke Merc. That being said, the Merc will be quieter and less 'fumey' smelling especially at idle.

I troll with my 50hp 2-stroke Mercury on occasion, it does the job. Although I know someone with the 60hp 4-stroke and it sure is nice and quiet.

If I had the choice I'd gladly replace my mercury with the same HP Yamaha. I used to have a smaller boat with a 2-stroke, 25hp Yamaha and it was an awesome engine
Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmbreeze View Post
I would rather get a 4 stroke for my application. But in the interest of money...
I realize that the newer 2 strokes will still foul up but is it to the same extent of as ones 5-7+ years ago? Like, have they gotten any better at not fouling?
If you are in the Edmonton area - you can save BIG money going to a Tohatsu.

They are available at Europa Canopy in Edmonton.

As a low cost option for a new motor .......