Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 PM

Default Cleaning Browning Lever Action (BLR) Rifles

G'day All!

I'm about to take the plunge and buy another new rifle. This time I'm looking at one of Browning's lever action (BLR) rifles (http://www.browning.com/products/cat..._id=009#center).

However, I'm concerned that the on-line owners manual for these rifles ( http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/blr_02_262_om_s.pdf ) offers no instructions for disassembly, warns not to try to disassemble the rifle yourself, and implies that you have to take the rifle to a gunsmith when it's time for a complete cleaning!

Does anyone have any experience with these rifles ... is it possible to do a disassemble and proper cleaning without hiring the services of a gunsmith?

Last edited by Selkirk; 10-29-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:43 PM

There is a reason browning says "Do not try to disassemble" these rifles.
They are great rifles, but not at all user friendly in disassembly or worse reassembling.
I know most smiths will not do more than vibratory clean them unless there is a major fubar, then many will simply ship them back to Browning.

I had to take 1 apart while still in school as part of the course, never again.

Short answer to your question NO

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 10-29-2008, 10:54 PM

According to the manual referenced, Browning recommends cleaning the barrel and the inside of the receiver as much as possible without disassembly.

I wound up getting the take-down PG version which is more user-friendly and allows you to clean the barrel from breech to muzzle.

I would agree with ATR (Rick) on not disassembling a BLR otherwise it is easy to screw up the gear timing and one has big issues. If you really have to, find a gunsmith who is a Browning dealer and let him look after it.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Banned

Default blr

I bought one in '73 and then gave it to an in-law who proceeded to just BEAT it into junk. He gave it back to me just before the mandatory registration date and it was FUBAR, just worthless.

I stripped off the cracked buttstock and cracked forestock, and then soaked the entire thing in naptha over-night. I then cleaned what appeared to be a ruined bore with Sweet's, then JB paste and finished with Shooter's Choice.

I lubed it with Breakfree and then re-finished the wood by epoxy and Dem-Bart stock finish and threw an old scope on it and took it to my club. I really expected saucer size groups and was simply going to dump it to someone looking for a "parts" gun.

I shot about 10 groups and it consistently printed my warmish 180gr. handloads into .6" at 100M. So.....I decided to keep the old timer and then had it re-blued, re-timed and put a B&L 4x Compact on it and will soon replace the mounts with Talleys.

I have YET to shoot a three-shot group over .75" with this 35 yr. old rifle, the bore is shiney and, after paying about $80.00 for a new "clip", the thing works like a champ!

These are GOOD rifles, mine is Belgian made, but, the Miroku ones are also excellent and they are a fine choice for basic hunting. One of my buddies bout one in '72 and shot a big Moose at Golden, BC, with it and then gave it to me for the rest of the year and I did OK with it, so, bought my own.

I clean all my lever rifles and anyn other non-bolt guns by using a simple brass muzzle guard available anywhere. I used one since the late '70s and have found it easy and effective, however, a stout "pull-through" works very well, too and a surplus Lee-Enfield one is perfect.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Tactical Rifle View Post
There is a reason browning says "Do not try to disassemble" these rifles. They are great rifles, but . . . Short answer to your question NO
Much Thanks 'ATR' ... Your advice is greatly appreciated. If someone with your experience & background says "No", then I'll have to abandon the idea of being able to dismantle a BLR.

For me, that's two 'negatives' against this rifle model ... the first 'negative' being the overly glossy stock. I'm of the school-of-thought that glossy stocks do not belong on hunting rifles ... just my lowly humble opinion.

I haven't abandoned the BLR idea just yet, but I'll have to give it some more thought. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spartan View Post
According to the manual referenced, Browning recommends cleaning the barrel and the inside of the receiver as much as possible without disassembly.

I wound up getting the take-down PG version . . .
Thanks for the 'Heads-Up' John. I dropped by Russell's today and looked at their 'Take-Down' version of the BLR ( http://www.browning.com/products/cat...34&type_id=012 ). You're right ... the 'Take-Down' version offers a LOT more access to the internal workings and also allows for barrel cleaning from the proper end.

One concern though ... is the 'Take-Down' version as accurate? Most 'Take-Down' rifles change the bullet point of impact, each time they are disassembled and then reassembled. Any comments on that concern???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutenay View Post
I bought one in '73 and then gave it to an in-law who proceeded to just BEAT it into junk. He gave it back to me just before the mandatory registration date and it was FUBAR, just worthless.

I stripped off the cracked buttstock and cracked forestock, and then soaked the entire thing in naptha over-night. I then cleaned what appeared to be a ruined bore with Sweet's, then JB paste and finished with Shooter's Choice . . .
Thanks 'Kutenay' ... That's quite a good story, supporting the BLR. It has helped to keep my interest in that model.

Cheers,

Dean

Last edited by Selkirk; 10-30-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

Thanks for the 'Heads-Up' John. I dropped by Russell's today and looked at their 'Take-Down' version of the BLR ( http://www.browning.com/products/cat...34&type_id=012 ). You're right ... the 'Take-Down' version offers a LOT more access to the internal workings and also allows for barrel cleaning from the proper end.

One concern though ... is the 'Take-Down' version as accurate? Most 'Take-Down' rifles change the bullet point of impact, each time they are disassembled and then reassembled. Any comments on that concern???

Cheers,

Dean
Dean, as to accuracy of the BLR takedown - I can't say as I got mine a few weeks ago and haven't gone to the range yet with it. I don't plan on disassembling and re-assembling it too often. As for accuracy following this, I searched a number of forums looking for such information, but could not find any - likely because the BLR take down version is too new. Perhaps after the season when I get a chance to go to the range, I'll do some experimenting on getting it sighted in, shoot a box or so of cartridges, take it apart and re-assemble it and shoot another box to see if there was a significant difference and at what yardage this happened at. Worst comes to worst, I do have a Savage Model 99F in 308 Win solid frame for back up.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the come-back J.S.!

Using 'Google Search', I found an interesting field-test review on Cabela's website, about the new Browning BLR Take-Down Rifle, written by Dan Carlson after he attended the 2007 SHOT Show.

In his second last paragraph, Dan comments; "The rifle was allowed to cool, taken down into two sections, and then reassembled. We commenced firing again with no difference in the point of impact. ... "

Link; http://www.cabelas.com/story-123/car...2Breview.shtml

I don't think his 'test' was very scientific (shooting at bowling pins), but it's still encouraging. When you can fit it in, we'd be interested in hearing about your test results.

Good Hunting,

Dean