Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Snarer View Post
Any open minded person can see the comparison between furbearers, fish, and big game, as all being owned by all citizens of the province and therefore should be equally available to all.
I'm open minded, mainly because I don't know enough about the subject to have an opinion.

I don't understand your logic at all, hunting & fishing are not similar to trapping at all, IMO.

Hunting and fishing is managed by ESRD, they tell you where you can and cannot keep fish and how many. It's the same for hunting, they tell you how many deer you can shoot in various different areas. They will issue supplemental tags for places with an abundance while others are a draw. RFMA's for the most part are managed by the trapper, with the exception of species with quotas for them.

As far as the US system goes, it sounds to me like it's a gong show and a very poor way to manage their wildlife. Do they have quotas and how do they determine when a quota is met......by reporting every trapped animal to their F&W office?

Another issue that I'd like to address is the $10K figure that you put out there. This is my first season as a Resident Trapper but I think that figure is very achievable, and some Resident Trappers are making a lot more than that. Names (I could be wrong but I don't think that they have RFMA's) that immediately come to mind are AO members 5911Ryan (coyotes) and G_Godberson (muskrats). If you are willing to put in the effort, it can be done, not just as recreation but as a profession.

I think that these numbers are reasonable:

Muskrats x 300 @ $10 average = $3K
Coyotes x 50 @ $100 average = $5K
Fox, beaver, weasel, badger, bobcat, racoon and squirrel = $2K

I see a lot of trapping opportunity out there without owning an RFMA. Except for not being able to trap class A furbearers due to the requirement for a quota on them for sustainability purposes, there shouldn't be an issue IMO.

Last edited by HunterDave; 10-06-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Banned

Thank you HunterDave for the reasonable reply. We do disagree that trapping is not like hunting and fishing. I think they are exactly the same - all being birds, animals, and fish that Albertans are allowed to kill but some Albertans are given greater privilege than others when it comes to trapping. This is inherently unfair. The numbers you gave may be reasonable but are gross figures not net. Maybe someone knows what the net would be on this catch? Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Banned

You are forgetting, they are not your animals, even as an Albertan.

All of the wildlife in Canada belong to the crown, not its citizens.

They decide what to do with their furbearers.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
How much did the BC line go for at the auction. It would be interesting to see how prices compare between provinces.
Sorry to interupt this other discussion or debate , but does anyone know what the BC line went for in that auction??? Thanks
Old 10-07-2014, 05:51 AM

IMO, both resident and RFMA's are both commercial opportunities. the only difference is one takes place on crown land. when combined, the only limiting factor is how hard do you want to work. with our system, we are very lucky. and there certainly are people that do very well at it.

fur is a resource. no different than lumber,minerals, O&g,ect.

i enjoy the sound of a big tree hitting the ground, and milling it up into lumber. but i realize i can't just go onto crown land and start falling trees to get lumber to build a house. the right's too that lumber belong to someone else. same with fur, no different.

it's a free market. and what people are willing pay for the rights to the lumber(fur, minerals, ect) is there own business.

sad really, that some people complain about what other people do with there own money.

wabbit- the only way to access to other line, that was up for auction. is with a heli. there are no fixed wing air charter services in the area, that use skis anymore. that line boarders mine. i use a heli once every thing freezes up. it's the only way, and not really that expensive. and i'm certainly not an "elite" high roller.

your clearly out of touch, and should give it a rest.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
IMO, both resident and RFMA's are both commercial opportunities. the only difference is one takes place on crown land. when combined, the only limiting factor is how hard do you want to work. with our system, we are very lucky. and there certainly are people that do very well at it.

fur is a resource. no different than lumber,minerals, O&g,ect.

i enjoy the sound of a big tree hitting the ground, and milling it up into lumber. but i realize i can't just go onto crown land and start falling trees to get lumber to build a house. the right's too that lumber belong to someone else. same with fur, no different.

it's a free market. and what people are willing pay for the rights to the lumber(fur, minerals, ect) is there own business.

sad really, that some people complain about what other people do with there own money.

wabbit- the only way to access to other line, that was up for auction. is with a heli. there are no fixed wing air charter services in the area, that use skis anymore. that line boarders mine. i use a heli once every thing freezes up. it's the only way, and not really that expensive. and i'm certainly not an "elite" high roller.

your clearly out of touch, and should give it a rest.
Well said Sir !

I figured I'd let somebody else weigh in as this conversation was only making me mader.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Banned

HunterDave-Braggadoe-Tork I have stated the issue as clearly as I can and it still falls on deaf ears. It's easy to preach from a comfortable pew when you have what you want and are not concerned with the fairness for other Albertans. So be it. On this issue your on the winning side for now, but I do wish Tork would answer the questions posed otherwise it appears all I am doing is barking up a dead horses butt. This is hobby trapping when you start talking hundreds of thousands of dollars and when you resell you will likely profit on the backs of Albertans who have already been screwed over. Trapping rights allocation on crown land is not fair from any perspective - like Tork says money rules.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:13 AM

Not fair! Not fair! Not fair!! Ya we all heard your false opinion. We all disagree with your rediculous claims. We have explained it to you in simple terms that even a child could understand! So
Yes you are barking from a horses azz! Nobody on here has to prove anything to you!!

Bottom line it is a fair system! Everyone has the opportunity to trap!

You sound like a grade school kid with all the not fair comments! You should take your ball and go complain to your mom and go play at another playground!

Your arguments are unfounded and simply wrong!!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Not fair! Not fair! Not fair!! Ya we all heard your false opinion. We all disagree with your rediculous claims. We have explained it to you in simple terms that even a child could understand! So
Yes you are barking from a horses azz! Nobody on here has to prove anything to you!!

Bottom line it is a fair system! Everyone has the opportunity to trap!

You sound like a grade school kid with all the not fair comments! You should take your ball and go complain to your mom and go play at another playground!

Your arguments are unfounded and simply wrong!!
How is it fair when two groups of people who both own the same bag of marbles are segregated into those who can have and those who cannot?
Old 10-07-2014, 10:23 AM

That's your problem. You are claiming ownership!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
HunterDave-Braggadoe-Tork I have stated the issue as clearly as I can and it still falls on deaf ears. It's easy to preach from a comfortable pew when you have what you want and are not concerned with the fairness for other Albertans.
I don't have an RFMA but I do trap crown land that it not part of one. There is plenty of crown land around here to trap if someone wants to do their homework and find out where it is. Between that and the permission on private land, I should do very well. I can't trap class A furbearers, not that there are many here, but between mainly muskrats and coyotes, with enough effort I should be able to achieve a very good paycheck.....all without the hassle of maintaining a trapline.....and it's all basically in my backyard.

I think that I have it good and I'm not worried about what other people have or how they got it.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I don't have an RFMA but I do trap crown land that it not part of one. There is plenty of crown land around here to trap if someone wants to do their homework and find out where it is. Between that and the permission on private land, I should do very well. I can't trap class A furbearers, not that there are many here, but between mainly muskrats and coyotes, with enough effort I should be able to achieve a very good paycheck.....all without the hassle of maintaining a trapline.....and it's all basically in my backyard.

I think that I have it good and I'm not worried about what other people have or how they got it.
Sounds like you are doing basically what I am and what is available to everyone. It's worked great for me. Enjoy.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:35 AM

Default Trap Lines

I have never been a fan of these newer high priced traplines. I completely understand the side taken by line holders, the ones that actually trap that is. This problem has nothing to do with the person willing to pay the dough, it is their money to do what ever they want with it. The problem will occur when the old timers have passed on, and the weekend trappers are all that remain. There will be a lot of registered lines that wont be producing very much fur. Just my opinion, but checking 20 marten boxes once a week isn't trapping.

SRD / ATA needs to start enforcing some kind of rule / guidelines for trap lines. I would love to own a line, but the economics are not there. At $55 000 for a somewhat decent line, just doesn't make sense. I catch more fur or my residential long line...just not the quota animals.

Trapping on a line should NOT be treated like a hobby, that's the problem...JMO.

Spruce
Old 10-07-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
How much did the BC line go for at the auction. It would be interesting to see how prices compare between provinces.
Lets just say very few traplines go for 60K let alone 160K in BC. You can find lines as cheap as 3000 but 30K in hand you should be able to find a good line in BC.

Prices in Alberta are nuts
Old 10-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Lets just say very few traplines go for 60K let alone 160K in BC. You can find lines as cheap as 3000 but 30K in hand you should be able to find a good line in BC.

Prices in Alberta are nuts
So people move to BC to trap? As Tork says money talks, he is fortunate due to his hard work and fathers advice to have lot's of money so has bought a registered trapline which I suspect he will run on week ends and vacation. He is one of the chosen few. Albertas system is grossly unfair.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
So people move to BC to trap? As Tork says money talks, he is fortunate due to his hard work and fathers advice to have lot's of money so has bought a registered trapline which I suspect he will run on week ends and vacation. He is one of the chosen few. Albertas system is grossly unfair.
Wow . You sure like to attack tork, no wonder he is just ignoring your ignorance!! Not fair!! Give it a rest ! The system is completely fair, you just don't like it!! I wonder how many more "not fairs " we will hear from this dillusional individual! Must be 20 so far!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel

Last edited by mark-edmonton; 10-07-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
One of the chosen few who decides to work hard and better himself? so in other words your to lazy to try to get ahead in life and your jealous of the ones that do, just like we thought.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
One of the chosen few who decides to work hard and better himself? so in other words your to lazy to try to get ahead in life and your jealous of the ones that do, just like we thought.
Yup and like to try to convince everyone that " it's not fair" much like a grade 4 kids crying to his teacher!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Yup and like to try to convince everyone that " it's not fair" much like a grade 4 kids crying to his teacher!
Mark - Moose - Mark I have repeatedly said I don't want a registered line, I could have a partnership in one phone call. Instead of telling me I'm like a school kid it's you guys that have a problem with comprehension. I'll say it again, my problem is that a resource that belongs to all Albertan s is being hijacked by a select few because of a lax government. Your friend Tork, who claims to be absolutely honest said himself that it's a money thing and therefor he deserves it.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:03 PM

Couldn't care less if have a line, want a line or line dance! Your opinion is skewed! Where is it stated that all resources in alberta are anyone's property. Nobody is hijacking anything, except you and this thread! Bottom line is that everyone has equal rights to trapping in this province! I took me 3 days to find a jr partnership. The majority of the country has a registered trapline system, and it works! And yes you are acting like a school child with all the " it's not fair comments!

Your sole biased opinion is not accurate! There are some small issues with the system, but hopefully srd will start reacting to the lines that are not actively trapped!

You offer only your opinion and have it backed with zero facts or evidence!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 10-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Mark - Moose - Mark I have repeatedly said I don't want a registered line, I could have a partnership in one phone call. Instead of telling me I'm like a school kid it's you guys that have a problem with comprehension. I'll say it again, my problem is that a resource that belongs to all Albertan s is being hijacked by a select few because of a lax government. Your friend Tork, who claims to be absolutely honest said himself that it's a money thing and therefor he deserves it.
The resource doesn't belong to all albertans, it belongs to the RFMA holder sorry you don't like it, but you need to get that into your head. If there was a free for all how do you manage harvest numbers? The US model you like so much is a disaster just go on trapperman and ask some people who trap this way.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:15 PM

Hey wonky wabbit if you like the US system so well just move their to satisfy your desires. GOOD LUCK.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Banned

Yikes!! I never realized the flat earth society was alive and doing so well.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 PM

It ain't worth it with this guy. Best to ignore it guys. Pretty easy to see the a gender here lol Good luck Wabbit
Old 10-07-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the system just those that abuse it. Don't agree with the price Alberta traplines go for but it is what it is. This is more the fact people are willing to pay the high prices that it has come to this.

Would never want the US rape the land trapping system and theft that comes with it.

The truth of the matter is there is always landowners willing to let you trap in exchange for some pest removal. So if you really want to trap there is options.

No one is buying into your rant.

I rarely come into the trapping forum because there always seems to be a half wit causing trouble. Too bad because there seems to be some good people as well.

May check this section out another day bye
Old 10-07-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Yikes!! I never realized the flat earth society was alive and doing so well.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Banned

If you can't beat it, ignore it! Keep the society growing.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:34 PM

What makes a trapline worth $160000? A good sledding area?
Old 10-07-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
We do disagree that trapping is not like hunting and fishing. I think they are exactly the same -
Your unbelievable. Here you say you want a free for all so anyone can trap where ever and what ever they want. This would decimate the furbearing population Alberta wide. Now in the hunting thread your chastising people who happen to take a doe or fawn fearing the decimation of the deer herd. Sorry Wabbit no one is gonna take you serious since you seem to be pushing your own personal agenda.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Banned

Kill all the class A furbearers and stop managing all other furbearers on RFMAs.....just don't shoot does and fawn?
Closed Thread