Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 07:56 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Touchy subject, I shouldn't have commented. I just hate the hunt for horns give the meat away, it happens to much. I don't have an issue sharing a bit with friends, or taking a deer for Grandma. Just don't like how this promotes the ugly side of trophy only hunting. I just don't like the concept of blind gifting, because I know what it leads to.

Spruce
No,no, no spruce....you have your opinion and it is a legit comment etc that's what this forum is about engaging in opinions....if we all shut up we are never heard....we have two ears and one mouth for a reason....or fast fingers

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Touchy subject, I shouldn't have commented. I just hate the hunt for horns give the meat away, it happens to much. I don't have an issue sharing a bit with friends, or taking a deer for Grandma. Just don't like how this promotes the ugly side of trophy only hunting. I just don't like the concept of blind gifting, because I know what it leads to.

Spruce
I agree with you 100%, donate other things to places such as the one described, shoot for you or close friends or family, theres not unlimited game out there to be feeding the province with it. No wonder our fish and wildlife numbers are in such bad shape.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Huh, I share when I get game so why not share a little more, or help a land owner thin out a troublesome heard and donate the meat, did this in Saskatchewan for many years living there and it was very beneficial. Never was given a bad name except "thank-you" and a hand shake....
We currently do not have excessive herd problems in Alberta, if there is some they are few and far between. The west country numbers are a complete disaster, we have finally cut back on the supplemental antlerless tags in some WMU's, it's simply not sustainable to donate wild game to these places. It's not a good program in my opinion. If you aren't going to process the animal for you and your close friends or family, don't take the animal just for the thrill of the kill.Donate some of your beef if you want to do a good deed. This is a good thread, many good comments on here, coming from both sides.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I also know people who simply trophy hunt and if they get an animal....if....the meat gets given away....nothing wrong with that at all.....completely legally done.

I am sure there are areas In This province with nuisance animals, over abundance and farmers are issued tags in which they too can donate the meat.

It has its purpose as with everything else if regulated properly and no one here has the right to tell another hunter what they should do with thier legally harvested game if they feel to donate, eat, or throw free bbq's at work and provide the meat etc.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-28-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
This is a program I don't agree with. Many take it as an excuse to shoot more animals than they need or can use. We have enough tags now that are on draw , populations are down on almost everything.
If you want to help the needy , great, spend what a tank of fuel costs on groceries and donate that.
I agree 100%.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
We currently do not have excessive herd problems in Alberta, if there is some they are few and far between. The west country numbers are a complete disaster, we have finally cut back on the supplemental antlerless tags in some WMU's, it's simply not sustainable to donate wild game to these places. It's not a good program in my opinion. If you aren't going to process the animal for you and your close friends or family, don't take the animal just for the thrill of the kill.Donate some of your beef if you want to do a good deed. This is a good thread, many good comments on here, coming from both sides.
Agreed!
Old 11-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Banned

Figured I'd bump this.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
The heart, lungs and liver must accompany the carcass in separate appropriate container including the hunter’s tag number.
Umm, why?
Old 11-10-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
BS. Don't shoot it unless you are going to eat. Gives us a bad name. Sure donating is great, but we are not talking about canned goods.

Spruce
I live in an area where both the whitetail and mule deer herds are doing extremely well. Whenever I can get antlerless tags I fill them and will donate whole animals or give some to my family. On top of feeding others, the heads get submitted to the MNR for CWD testing which helps monitoring the herd.

People in need can use more than just canned fruit salad or Kraft Dinner...
Old 11-10-2019, 03:24 PM

Wife freaks out when I donate mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 11-10-2019, 03:53 PM

Where is there information regarding the 2019 program.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:

Spruce
I personally agree with your comment. First nations hunters have long used "meat donation programs" (one for me, one for my kookum, one for my auntie up in Peerless etc...) and the end result is very poor moose populations in many northern zones. I used to kill and butcher a deer for my parents every season, but I no longer consider that ethical behaviour.

I shoot what I can personally use and no more, the bush can no longer be expected to support every hungry Canadian.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
Where is there information regarding the 2019 program.
Page 83 of the 2019 Hunting Regs.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
Page 83 of the 2019 Hunting Regs.
Thanks