Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 02:29 PM

Default Browning BLR for hunting?

Howdy all,

I do have a question for all you experienced folks. I have been hunting for 3 years now. I have harvested some deer during this time, but I have always borrowed someone else's gun to do so since i could not afford my own. To be entirely accurate, I could afford to buy one and I chose a very nice shotgun at the time since I found waterfowl hunting to be more exciting. Later, I also bought a .22 for upland hunting and fun shooting. This year it so happens that the people I used to borrow a gun from are hunting at the same time when I am planning to do so; thus, borrowing a gun is no longer an option. Well, not this year, anyway.

So I have been looking around and figured I can afford a gun within $1,200 range. I was looking at the bolt action only (and mostly Browning). However, I have found this beautiful 7mm Browning BLR White Gold with a 20" barrel that falls within my price range. For reason probably obvious to most, I am in love with hinge action guns and definitely want to get this one. However, I am not too sure about its practicality. I did do some reading and people hunt with them without any problems. Clearly it is a not as accurate as a bolt action would be, but definitely accurate enough to put an animal down. According to some, it is just as accurate as any bolt action in the price range I mentioned. Some say the first three shots are as accurate as anything else and the rest are less so. If I can't put an animal down with three shots, I probably should not be hunting is my thinking.

I should also note that I do not hunt open areas; rather I spent most of my time in the bush and will likely not be making a shot beyond a 100 meter mark; it could happen but highly unlikely. I am not planning on taking anything larger than an elk at this point either, so I think the caliber is just fine, unless i am mistaken. I don't really know much about the calibers and ammo in general, so feel free to correct me. As far as ammunition goes, all of it is about the same price in a sense that I am not going on a shooting spree, but to shoot once in while is not really going to make that much of a difference.

So here is the question, given the info I provided. What do you guys think? Good idea to go ahead and buy this gun or should I keep looking? The hunting season is almost here and I would like to do some shooting prior.

I am afraid I am buying this gun rather for the looks and a childhood dream than for actual hunting. Not buying yet, but you know what I mean. Although, not that there is anything wrong with buying a gun for the reasons above

I also know that I will be buying more guns since I want to eventually hunt for moose, I want to do some long range shooting, etc. So it's another reason to go ahead and get this one. Am I talking myself into buying it now?

Anyway, tl/dr (too long/didn't read), what do you guys think about the gun in the picture for hunting purposes?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:35 PM

Its a beautiful, well made gun, in a great caliber. It has iron sights, and a slick detachable magazine... What's not to love about it, well I do know that its not very light weight if that concerns you. Other than that, go for it...
Old 08-22-2017, 02:41 PM

Good rifle, although the models of 15-20 years ago and older were of better craftsmanship, IMO.

The chambering you indicate, leaves me to ask a question.
7mm-08Remington, or 7mm Remington Magnum?

I'd be far more inclinded to go 7mm-08 than 7mm Rem Mag, the magnum is a waste in a 20" barrel, and the muzzle blast will be obnoxious.

At any rate, if it tickles your fancy, who gives a hoot what anyone else thinks.

It will "Keill"!

There are no absolutes
Old 08-22-2017, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Yes, I should have mentioned, it is 7-08.

I also looked at Cabela's website just now and it is indicated there that there is a rebate of $100 available through Browning. I don't think I will be able to walk away from the store without this gun

I appreciate the input guys. If more of you would like to chime in, please do.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Yes, I should have mentioned, it is 7-08.

I also looked at Cabela's website just now and it is indicated there that there is a rebate of $100 available through Browning. I don't think I will be able to walk away from the store without this gun

I appreciate the input guys. If more of you would like to chime in, please do.
As Dick 284 said it will kill anything you hunt in Alberta.
If I had the budget I would and not just for the gun safe. It has proven its worth to many on the hunt. Beautiful gun. It will be more accurate than you think.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 08-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Banned

they're pretty much a one purpose gun and that's hunting.

they're compact, fairly light, accurate, and decently balanced. i like mine enough to keep it in the safe.

mine is in 308
Old 08-22-2017, 03:09 PM

Great looking gun. Love the calibre. Sounds like it will fit your needs. I have a friend that shoots one in 270wsm and likes it. Are you planning on putting a scope on it?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-22-2017, 03:33 PM

IF that is the gun you have your heart set on, the one you will just sit and look at with a smile on your face, get it. I have always purchased synthetic stock big game rifles as I saw them as the most practical tools, but I'm thinking my future firearms will be wood stocked. As for your caliber choice, 7-08 will handle any animal you can legally hunt in Alberta.

Don't forget to budget for at least a decent scope, unless you plan to hunt pretty short distances with open sights.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:35 PM
Banned

Buy it ... you will be dissapoited if you don't ... pretty rifle's can be hunted with for year's with out a scratch if you use common sence !!!
Old 08-22-2017, 03:43 PM

I have the BLR in 308 (pistol grip) and absolutely love it. Best fitting rifle of any I own. It's my choice for whitetail, without hesitation. Amazing size for stalking and bush hunting.

Do it!! Then go buy more rifles later...
Old 08-22-2017, 04:02 PM

Question for all the guys who have BLR's... does it disassemble all the way for cleaning say if it got lots of rain on it or dropped in a dirty puddle by accident? Ive read the owners manual online and looked for videos online, and seems like it is a gun that the action doesnt come apart except by browning themselves. Please let me know if this is the case or not.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Question for all the guys who have BLR's... does it disassemble all the way for cleaning say if it got lots of rain on it or dropped in a dirty puddle by accident? Ive read the owners manual online and looked for videos online, and seems like it is a gun that the action doesnt come apart except by browning themselves. Please let me know if this is the case or not.
Yes it does disassemble fully for cleaning. However, it is more akin to a rack and pinion system and there has to be special attention to the "timing". The disassembly is easy, but re-assembly can be a chore if one isn't familiar with how to do it. It isn't a simple as disassembling something like a Marlin for example. One of the many reasons among many that I prefer Marlin levers is that you can strip one down, clean it, and put it back together in mere minutes afield with nothing more that a good "toolman" on your belt.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:35 PM

Its just too bad theres no detachable magazine style marlin. The Henry Long Ranger looks interesting.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:47 PM
Banned

Default Buy it .

Quote:
Howdy all,

I do have a question for all you experienced folks. I have been hunting for 3 years now. I have harvested some deer during this time, but I have always borrowed someone else's gun to do so since i could not afford my own. To be entirely accurate, I could afford to buy one and I chose a very nice shotgun at the time since I found waterfowl hunting to be more exciting. Later, I also bought a .22 for upland hunting and fun shooting. This year it so happens that the people I used to borrow a gun from are hunting at the same time when I am planning to do so; thus, borrowing a gun is no longer an option. Well, not this year, anyway.

So I have been looking around and figured I can afford a gun within $1,200 range. I was looking at the bolt action only (and mostly Browning). However, I have found this beautiful 7mm Browning BLR White Gold with a 20" barrel that falls within my price range. For reason probably obvious to most, I am in love with hinge action guns and definitely want to get this one. However, I am not too sure about its practicality. I did do some reading and people hunt with them without any problems. Clearly it is a not as accurate as a bolt action would be, but definitely accurate enough to put an animal down. According to some, it is just as accurate as any bolt action in the price range I mentioned. Some say the first three shots are as accurate as anything else and the rest are less so. If I can't put an animal down with three shots, I probably should not be hunting is my thinking.

I should also note that I do not hunt open areas; rather I spent most of my time in the bush and will likely not be making a shot beyond a 100 meter mark; it could happen but highly unlikely. I am not planning on taking anything larger than an elk at this point either, so I think the caliber is just fine, unless i am mistaken. I don't really know much about the calibers and ammo in general, so feel free to correct me. As far as ammunition goes, all of it is about the same price in a sense that I am not going on a shooting spree, but to shoot once in while is not really going to make that much of a difference.

So here is the question, given the info I provided. What do you guys think? Good idea to go ahead and buy this gun or should I keep looking? The hunting season is almost here and I would like to do some shooting prior.

I am afraid I am buying this gun rather for the looks and a childhood dream than for actual hunting. Not buying yet, but you know what I mean. Although, not that there is anything wrong with buying a gun for the reasons above

I also know that I will be buying more guns since I want to eventually hunt for moose, I want to do some long range shooting, etc. So it's another reason to go ahead and get this one. Am I talking myself into buying it now?

Anyway, tl/dr (too long/didn't read), what do you guys think about the gun in the picture for hunting purposes?

Buy it .
Old 08-22-2017, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Its just too bad theres no detachable magazine style marlin. The Henry Long Ranger looks interesting.
Not for me. I'm of the belief that TRUE lever actions historically have a tubular magazine. Just my opinion.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 PM

Great lever action. Triggers are not as good as most bolt actions . Disassembly is NOT recommended as getting the timing reset can be a challenge .
Old 08-22-2017, 08:15 PM

Great rifle. Get the caliber you want and let'er rip!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:17 PM

My 308 BLR was purchased new 40 years ago ... never disassembled for cleaning. It was my primary hunting rifle for 20 years. They need to be kept clean and especially free of oil in cold weather. A hunting partner had one of the newer models which had a "composite" gear that broke in cold weather. Mine has a metal gear. Scoped, it probably aggs about 1.25" at 100M off a bench. Pretty decent hunting rifle.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 PM

Default Sell you mine

The BLR is a good rifle, I would have no issues buying it. 7mm-08 with a 20" barrel is good. Not as accurate as a bolt, but more than good enough for hunting. If 7mm-08 isn't your thing I Have a 308 that I am selling! You won't be disappointed with it.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:27 PM

Default Sale tibbs

Thank you all for your contributions! I greatly appreciate it.

One more thing I wanted ask about before I pull the trigger. I was at Canadian Tire today and noticed that there are only 3 varieties of ammo for it: Hornady Lite, Hornady Superperformance (I believe), and some Nosler (I do not remember which one, but has accubond bullets and about $54 per box). There was lots of different ammo for more popular calibers like 30-06, 308, etc. That got me thinking, could it happen that I have hard times finding the right ammunition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Are you planning on putting a scope on it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Don't forget to budget for at least a decent scope, unless you plan to hunt pretty short distances with open sights.
Yes, I will definitely put a scope on it. I do not have the budget for a decent scope at the moment, so this is something to save for. I do, however, have a scope that should do the job in the mean time and that is what I planning on using for now after experimenting with sights to see how that goes.

Again, thank you to everyone! Your advice is very valuable to me and greatly appreciated.

P.S. Just noticed the "hinge action" in my original post. Made me laugh. Gotta be because I was thinking about how to cut rounded hinges into the new door jambs at home. Lol.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:43 PM

Default I have one in 308

I have one in 308 and it's mine only rifle, and the only one that I looked wanted when I bought my first. Have wanted one since I was a kid. A couple of my uncles own them and I just thought it was the greatest looking rifle.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Howdy all,

Quote:
Thank you all for your contributions! I greatly appreciate it.

One more thing I wanted ask about before I pull the trigger. I was at Canadian Tire today and noticed that there are only 3 varieties of ammo for it: Hornady Lite, Hornady Superperformance (I believe), and some Nosler (I do not remember which one, but has accubond bullets and about $54 per box). There was lots of different ammo for more popular calibers like 30-06, 308, etc. That got me thinking, could it happen that I have hard times finding the right ammunition?

Yes, I will definitely put a scope on it. I do not have the budget for a decent scope at the moment, so this is something to save for. I do, however, have a scope that should do the job in the mean time and that is what I planning on using for now after experimenting with sights to see how that goes.

Again, thank you to everyone! Your advice is very valuable to me and greatly appreciated.

P.S. Just noticed the "hinge action" in my original post. Made me laugh. Gotta be because I was thinking about how to cut rounded hinges into the new door jambs at home. Lol.

What city and or community are you in?

7.08 is available in most major markets.

Purchase all that you have mentioned,have fun and keep it simple.

Buy it .
Old 08-22-2017, 11:00 PM

Common cartridges will be more common and have a bigger selection, if that is a major concern for you, where you hunt, you might be better off with a 308 or 30-06. I usually don't forget bullets at home though, they stay in a sleeve on the buttstock and I've never used all of them in a trip.

My uncles BLR in 243 was the rifle I used for my first few deer and I loved it, ended up buying a bolt action because it was cheaper.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
What city and or community are you in?

7.08 is available in most major markets.

Purchase all that you have mentioned,have fun and keep it simple.

Buy it .
Thanks for the reply. I am in Peace River. Could be the case that I haven't looked enough, but I only saw 3 options, so it got me kind of curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
Common cartridges will be more common and have a bigger selection, if that is a major concern for you, where you hunt, you might be better off with a 308 or 30-06. I usually don't forget bullets at home though, they stay in a sleeve on the buttstock and I've never used all of them in a trip.

My uncles BLR in 243 was the rifle I used for my first few deer and I loved it, ended up buying a bolt action because it was cheaper.
Thank you for the reply. I wouldn't say it is that much of a concern, just got me curious whether I should be concerned about it
Doubt I would forget the ammo at home. I also hunt within 30-45 minutes from my house; often within 15 minutes. And so far I did not need more than one bullet on any of the deer I took. Hopefully, that will continue
Old 08-22-2017, 11:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle30 View Post
I have one in 308 and it's mine only rifle, and the only one that I looked wanted when I bought my first. Have wanted one since I was a kid. A couple of my uncles own them and I just thought it was the greatest looking rifle.
Cool !!! .... nothing like eye candy on a hunting trip !!!
Old 08-23-2017, 01:03 AM

It shouldn't be too hard to find 7-08 ammo. I shoot a 7-08 and haven't had any problems. Years ago when ammo was kind of scarce if I saw "my brand" in a store I would buy 2 or 3 boxes and stock up. I now never worry about running out. Mine likes Federal Premium ammunition and it's been easy to find.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-23-2017, 04:02 AM

Thumbs up Lever guns, the finest hunting tool.

I would say go for it, it you haven't already.
If you need that quick follow up shot you'll get it a lot faster than a bolt gun.
Be forewarned, Lever actions and black powder guns are addictive.
Ask me, I know.
Next on my list is possibly another Henry, the .308 Long Ranger!
Good luck, you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:06 AM

The BLR shown in the pic is a white gold medallion model which typically sells new for a whole lot more than 1200.00. If you can get one for that, i'd jump all over it.

I've owned several over the years and they're great, all .308. Harvested two 150 class bucks with the BLR, one at 275 yards (Alberta), the other at 20 yards (Ontario).

Someone posted that you need to ensure they're oil free in cold weather (-12 and below). That is true and important, i learned the hard way.

Click. Crap.

Last edited by dmac; 08-23-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:42 AM

Just saw the thread. I use a BLR takedown as my main mountain rifle-it is very good.I suggest a long eye relief scope for it and it will definitely hold poi on takedown. The BLR will accept a forward rail mount for this purpose. Some call it a scout scope. You can even bore sight the rifle with this arrangement and cleaning is a snap. Good luck
Old 08-23-2017, 01:06 PM

I've posted here several times about how much I love my BLRs. I've used them over my other rifles for many years. It took me a bit to figure out how to get the best performance out of it but I now have every confidence in it in the field. The White Gold is a beautiful rifle and you'll enjoy both carrying it and shooting it.