Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-27-2019, 08:52 AM

Due to this thread I packed a pair on my Strathcona Slug gun hunt last night and they worked great. Blood doesn't bother me but I felt I had better knife control and I din't have the 1/2 hr of cleanup picking blood out of my fingernails. Coupled with disease protection I think it's a winner idea for me.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:58 AM

Been using them since I started guiding Bears 20 plus years ago, always have a pair or two in my pack like that when you take them off your hands are nice and clean.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
Just wish some guys would take their gloves home with them. I’ve found a couple of gut piles with a set of gloves discarded right beside it.
Slobs will always be slobs. I pack an extra ziploc for packing out used gloves and wipes, and a “sharps container” (a super glue safety bottle) to pack out the knife blades.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-27-2019, 10:32 AM

Yes I have also I pick up anything don't like leaving nothing out of gut pile paper towels rubber gloves everything comes out only thing left there is the spine and the hips

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2019, 10:38 AM

my daughter had bought me a pair of rubber type gloves for cleaning game, more so to keep my hands from being wet and cold as I have pour circulation
they worked awesome for skinning I could hold onto the hide and not have it slip out of my hands
but I never used them for gutting and cleaning out the insides
they have since gone by the way side due to getting nicked and worn out
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 10-27-2019, 10:55 AM

Default gloves

here's a tip learned from doing mobile slaughters on beef with my business:
go down to your local vet clinic and pick up a half dozen of those full length AI gloves (artificial insemination; also used for pregnancy checking) as well as keeping your typical nitrile gloves for in your pack.
I slip on the full length gloves and put the nitriles over top. No blood on my sleeves, hands, etc. When finished, grab the top of the full length glove and pull the whole combo inside out. THEN the soiled gloves go back in my pack for disposal later(they're inside-out; no blood should mess up your pack or gear). No litter, no mess, and much cleaner all the way around. A small water bottle and a paper towel will usually suffice to clean up any blood from the odd whole made while gutting.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:05 AM

Never used to wear them. Then I got a nasty infection. Now I do. There crazy cheap and the peace of mind is worth it to me now., and honestly keeps my hands clean so I dont have to waist my water to wash off my hands to have a snack, even found some cool ones for my 4 year old and he knows he only gets to wear them if we get something and that' makes things more fun for him and gets him hopefully into a lifelong habit to wear them.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:02 PM

A word of caution whether you are using gloves or not.

Clean your hands after cleaning that animal.
Wash with an alcohol disinfectant or even better, hydrogen peroxide.

I keep a bottle of H2O2 in the truck for skunks and gutting.
Rinsing off with this will help disinfect and clean out all the blood from skin creases fingernails...

ANY cut can be the route for staf or strep infection, which can be deadly.

Of particular concern is cutting yourself while wearing tight gloves.
The body bleeds when cut, in part on purpose as a way to expel pathogens.
These gloves actually inhibit bleeding through pressure, which can INCREASE the likelihood of retaining pathogens in the wound and subsequent infection.

If you cut yourself while wearing gloves, even a small nick, take them off immediately and let that cut bleed for a while, disinfect the wound.
Pay attention to the cut in the following days.

Do NOT presume that because you are wearing a glove that you're safe from contracting a disease or infection.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-27-2019, 01:40 PM

Default "Knife proof" safety glove.

I wear a thin "knife proof" safety glove on my left hand while field dressing.
Apparently most "hunting accidents" requiring medical attention occur at this time.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:57 PM

Well, it wouldn't be a normal discussion on AO if the Manly Men didn't come out and make tampon jokes about those who use gloves. Manly Men also defecate in the woods, and may or may not wash their hands before eating their sammich. Because.

Anyway, a friend got a bad infection from getting a splinter of rib that was smashed by bullet in the meat of his thumb. Major bad, can't remember if it was staph? Ended up on an antibiotic IV, arm swollen to his elbow like a nasty sausage. Nitrite probably wouldn't have prevented that actually, but we both started wearing gloves after that, as it makes you aware of possible infections.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-27-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHW View Post
I wear a thin "knife proof" safety glove on my left hand while field dressing.
Apparently most "hunting accidents" requiring medical attention occur at this time.
X 2 ...

I now wear one after a cut that took 5 stitches to close, a good gash. Funny thing about that -20 hunt, I couldn't understand why there so much blood still coming. I realized, it was coming from me, I never felt a thing...haha

As for the rubber gloves; I am in the camp of why not stay a clean as you can and whatever I bring, comes home with me.

I always have a first aid kit, soap, hot water and towels....the latter for cleaning knives, tools, saw and me if necessary etc....

This is what works for me, to each his/her own.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:54 PM

Wife’s uncle has had blood poisoning on two occasions from cutting himself while field dressing deer. Didn’t learn the first time I guess. Said the veins in his arm turned all blue and skin was purple. His wife a pharmacist clubbed him on the head and off to the doc he goes. Nitrile gloves would obviously not have helped as it was a case of butter fingers but does bring up the idea of the cut proof gloves. He claims you can’t get it from moose but he sure takes his time with deer now!!!
Old 10-27-2019, 07:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Fingerless wool gloves, fingerless long obstetric gloves, and latex gloves that what I used to use for cold weather C-sections, so now this is what I always use
when working with the Game. No wool gloves if warm.
The liver and heart go inside them once I'm done.
Keeps my sleeves clean.
What if I had none of the above? No problem blood is washable...
BTW couple of elastic bands helps to keep those OB long gloves/sleeves at arm level.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 10-27-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I'm a little old fashioned and don't mind getting my hands bloody when field cleaning game. I'm lucky if I remember to take off my watch & ring and roll up my sleeves before I begin!

But more and more, I'm seeing guys in the field dressed like they're about to do open-heart surgery I'm not sure if it's to keep themselves clean, or to protect themselves from some sort of infection.

Does anyone have any direct, personal knowledge of a hunter getting any kind of disease from cleaning an animal without gloves ? DIRECT or PERSONAL knowledge only please!
I always do - less time cleaning my hands. I remove them by pulling it inside out and then it goes into the same bag where I keep heart/liver.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:14 PM

Default Yes, infections

I have heard of people getting infections in their hands from handling coyotes and skinning them. I have not heard of from a big game animal, but I would guess it is possible. I do wear the gloves(if I remember to bring some) because it makes clean up easier.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:08 PM

Default Nitrile gloves

I use nitrile gloves every chance I get, this year I’m gonna try them overtop of a pair of Kevlar gloves as I’ve been nicked many times while skinning with someone else helping. As stated earlier, they can be pulled inside out and put back where they came from,for ease of mess. I’ve also used them as a marker for downed game, and as a target to check zero on a dropped rifle, by blowing them up like a balloon and tying them to a tree. A coupe years ago I missed picking up a pair after cleaning up a mule deer,, The following year, upon seeing the gloves on a sunny hillside I went to retrieve them and to my amazement they basically turned to dust when I attempted to pick them up?
Old 11-09-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Slobs will always be slobs. I pack an extra ziploc for packing out used gloves and wipes, and a “sharps container” (a super glue safety bottle) to pack out the knife blades.

That's a great idea for the blades. I never leave them in the field but always worry about disposing later, this cures the problem! Thanks.

I usually don't use gloves as it's how I learnt and I actually enjoy it if you can believe it, but I have to admit that clean up is so much easier, I now use them in the shop all the time and don't spend forever cleaning grease off, everything has it's purpose and each to their own.

My 14 year old daughter said she wants to gut her own deer but with gloves, who am I to knock that, hell I'm proud that she wants to, not many kids that age will even attempt it. Can't wait to see it happen this year.

Last edited by runnin'wild; 11-09-2019 at 09:27 PM.