Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:11 PM

Default Snares

Hello Everyone. I am just getting into trapping and would just like to clear something up. A snare is not used to choke an animal. They are intended to tighten on the neck of the animal and cut off the bloodflow to the brain, thus providing a "humane" kill. As previously stated many dogs will not pull against the resistance and should be ok. I hope you make out OK Dianne.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 PM

b
Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 PM

Okay, so I have already established I have hiked along many trap lines and did not know what the markers were. I have no interest in seeing where the traps are, since my dogs will want to follow me and check them out. How far away are the markers, typically from the traps?

Also, do any of you know if there are trap lines in Kananaskis park. It is at the very end of 232, and people use it for hiking, horse back riding and XC skiing. I live by there and use the area a heck of a lot. I have seen markers there, but think they were for other reasons, but have no clue.

All I need to really know is if I see a marker of some sort, how far away the actual trap is usually. I will avoid it like it is dynamite.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 PM

Default Markers

Well I have not been out a lot. However every trapper will have his own method of marking his/or her traps. From what I have seen some people like to mark within 10 feet or so, but everyone has their own method. There are also a number of other people that use ribbons in the bush for marking trails, surveyors, hunters, skiers, etc. So just because you see some type of marker it may be there to signify something else.....you never know why some people do the things they do. I hope this helps you somewhat. I did also just complete the trappers course and it is a very informative course and I reccomend it to everyone that is interested in learning about our wildlife and biology of our great province!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 PM

Did anybody ever find out if the said snare was on a RFMA and even try to get the trappers story?
This is unfortunate for sure but to blame the trapper for the irresponsable pet ownership is just passing the buck if you ask me..
The news artical stated that the dogs owner had to cut the snare wire with a small pocket knife , which all of you trappers know is impossible , then the F&W needed to cut it from around the dogs neck with bolt cutters????
This whole incedent is sad yes , unfortunate... yes ,,, blame the trapper ...no.
Educate yourselves go to Halfords and get a small pair of cable cutters and keep them in your hiking pack , even sharp side cutters won't do the trick.
Remember that there is not too many places one can go out in the bush that is not a RFMA and the element of risk is there and its real to those that willingly let there pets run free.
I'm not posting this to come across as cruel or mean ,,, just stating the realities that are out here in the bush.
As I stated in my comments in the SUN , life is not a Walt Disney movie out here , ignorance is not an excuse to lay blame on other poeple.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod Valley View Post
Did anybody ever find out if the said snare was on a RFMA and even try to get the trappers story?
This is unfortunate for sure but to blame the trapper for the irresponsable pet ownership is just passing the buck if you ask me..
The news artical stated that the dogs owner had to cut the snare wire with a small pocket knife , which all of you trappers know is impossible , then the F&W needed to cut it from around the dogs neck with bolt cutters????
This whole incedent is sad yes , unfortunate... yes ,,, blame the trapper ...no.
Educate yourselves go to Halfords and get a small pair of cable cutters and keep them in your hiking pack , even sharp side cutters won't do the trick.
Remember that there is not too many places one can go out in the bush that is not a RFMA and the element of risk is there and its real to those that willingly let there pets run free.
I'm not posting this to come across as cruel or mean ,,, just stating the realities that are out here in the bush.
As I stated in my comments in the SUN , life is not a Walt Disney movie out here , ignorance is not an excuse to lay blame on other poeple.
I saw your posts, as well as many very ignorant and unnecessary comments as well. I had no clue, now I do... the makers might or might not be trap lines... but I would rather keep away. My dogs are not the typical annoying, barking, wildlife chasing PITA city dogs you often see out here... I only have one large rottie now and two English staffords which are quite small.

I am glad to have learned about this, and I do agree some parts of the story about the dead dog, do not jive. I know it is not Disneyland out here in K country, I see and hear things get killed all the time. I found a dog that was buried and eaten by a cougar, and know there are things out there that can harm us. I still feel much safer here in the bush, and feel my dogs are safer out here, much more so then the city.

Whats a pair of cable cutters to bring along with me really? Some things concern me that were posted, but I try not to think about it. Living here has inherent risk, but it is well worth the freedom, fresh air and lack of humans.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:01 PM

Latest link on the dog...

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber.../16450801.html
Old 12-09-2010, 10:13 PM

Another...

http://test.calgarysun.com/news/albe.../16468366.html
Old 12-09-2010, 11:40 PM

My comments where not meant to come across as ignorant and Ido apolagize if if they came across that way.
Many snares are constructed of 7X7 or 1X19 cable and regular electrical side cutters will not even scratch them.
I do believe there is a Halford Hides store in Calgary that sells trapping supplies and they could set you up with the proper cable cutters to do the job , they are only about 8 inches long and can even be carried in your jeans back pocket , they work really well and can make short work out of cable up to 3/8" thick.
Again I'm sorry if you took my post the wrong way , I just don't want to be reading about your dog too.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 AM

McLeod Valley, you did come off harsh, but reading that entire thread of comments even put me in a harsh mood. Lots of stupidity and ignorance on both sides.

Although I am not cool about trapping in all honesty... you guys have been out there since the beginning of time. As long as we can all use the back country together and not have clashes with each other, we all should just do what we do out there.

Just like some trappers are not ethical or responsible, there are hikers and dog owners that are the same. I pick up freaking garbage and sometimes dirty diapers out of the bush, along with a huge bong, broken bottles and anything else you can think of. I am sure trappers do the same thing, since you are conservationists of sorts. I do understand that just because you do something that I find disturbing,, does not mean it is bad. I have learned that you guys are pretty decent fellows, and you could have lashed out at me.

Without your help, and the fact that I had enough brains to go to the source and ask questions, I am wiser and more prepared. I just have to find time to go and get those cutters and hope I have my wits about me to use them if needed. I doubt I ever will... I have hiked hundreds of kilometers over the last few years, without a worry. I don't have hunting dogs, hounds or retrievers, which helps me since they are not nose to the ground animals that are always tracking game. However they do like to chase squirrels, it is their hobby around the house.

Another question, the Calgary Sun said trapping in not allowed between Oct-Dec. I read here it is closer to April-Dec, am I correct? I hike where the cattle roam crown land, and cannot see snares being set up any where while they are in there from June-Oct. Cows are not the most graceful animals and I could really see them getting snared and injured.

If there are any easy links for any sort of rules and regulations for trapping, I would love to see them, as well as anything to teach me about this practice.

Diana
Old 12-10-2010, 07:56 AM

There is a link right at the top of the trapping forum here , Page 1 . It is the entire trapping regs.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 AM

Thank you! I see I have a great amount of reading to do. Guess I should have looked myself for this info... I know better.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 AM

No problem , I hope you find the regulations not too confusing , good luck and happy hiking, If you have any more questions just ask.
Gotta go hit the line now, (suns up).
Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 PM

FWIW, some trappers are deliberately marking their traps in ways that don't make the location obvious. The reason for this is people who go out of their way to sabotage the traps, even though this is illegal.

Also, Trappers, hunters and outfitters are at the top of the list of people fighting for conservation. Trappers and outfitters rely on the income of their activities.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 PM

Default Snares

When I used to trap and snare, the trail entering my area had a sign, but never signs where my sets were. There was enough thefts without me helping the thief by showing him where to look. Over several years on the line I knew the area well enough that I had no need to mark where the sets were.Some people would tell me they found a set as if it was lost or something.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:09 PM

I think we need to distinguish between legal trapping and illegal trapping from what I read the snare was set before the season if true this dog died as the direct result of a poacher. Remember these people were the victims of a poacher!

This fall both my labs were caught in illegal snares set on the EID and I was VERY fortunate to have wire cutters with me and dogs don't always sit there and wait, trust me when they are fighting for air they will start to fight it.

Calgary Sun:
"Provincial officials said the use of the snare that killed Ed and Lorna Thomas’ Alaskan Malamute Ben on Nov. 29 was set just prior to the legal trapping season in the area that begins Dec. 1."
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Banned

A couple things you should know

1)most trapping is done in winter
2)If you see a bird wing or ball of tinfoil hanging from a tree limb there is probably a trap
3)If you see a milk crate sideways at the base of a tree get ahold of your dog, if he sticks his head in it he is a goner as it will have bait and a 330 connibear trap which you will not be able to get him out of but it will kill him instantly anyway
4)If you see a snare or flagging get a hold of the dog cause in a wolf set there may be 10 or 20 more snares in a horseshoe pattern around you
5)Almost all legholds your dog will encounter are padded or have spacers and you step on the springs to get your dog out of one, go online and I am sure you will find pics and directions or go to halfords and practise on the real thing
6)While we do not want to cause conflict with the public and I do appreciate your refreshing attitude, we are in the business of trapping animals and a dog will come to the attractants we use because he is an animal. At the end of the day it is your responsibilty to leash your dog or to take your chances and not our responsibilty to keep your dog out of our trap. After all if it wont catch a loose dog it probably wont catch the target species either.
7)If you can examine a snare you will see that if you work the latch it will release or carry wire cutters and know how to use them. If its a power snare your poor pooch is pretty much boned. Snares are one of the most humane traps but because of this they are deadly and kill quickly. I dont use power snares but thats because they scare the heck out of me. I like my teeth right where they are.
8)A small rope in your pocket will work to open any connibear, get a trapper to teach you the rope trick (found out last winter how important the rope is after a 330 latched onto my paw, only one spring fired thank god)
9)Enjoy the back country but like avalanches, bears, fires or anything a little knowledge goes a long way

Last edited by nof60; 01-09-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Gone Hunting

Hi Diana

I am glad you asked.
I am a trapper, and I have been since I was oldd enough to walk.
Most snares that you might encounter are simple holding devices which the majority of domestic dogs will not fight and thus will not be harmed, as others have said.

I have never caught a dog, but a good friend did. In fact he caught his own dog. It was a couple of days before he found it, caught in one of his snares, patiantly waiting to be set free.

Also, as others have said, there is a snare called a Ram Power snare that is a killing device. I have no experiance with them so can't offer any advice.
I'm old school.

Most traps you might encounter are also not a serious threat to your dogs.
They might pinch his toes or cause a bit of brusing but the won't kill him.
Conibear traps are sometimes set where a dog could enter one.
They are killing devices and if properly set will kill in seconds. But the chances of encountering one is remote. They are hard to set, and of limitied use for larger, dog sized animals.

What has been said about releasing your dog from a snare is mostly correct.
Cable cutters, not wire cutters, if you have to cut the wire.
In most cases you can release the snare by releaseing the lock.
However, there are a whole host of lock designes out there so to advise you on how to do this would be difficult at best. Fear not, most locks are simple in desigen and carefull observation and thoought to how it might work will usually result in you figuring out how to unlock them without advice.

Best of luck, may you enjoy the great outdoors for many years to come.
may your dogs always be free to run and safe to do so.

PS, you can obtain a map of all registered trap lines in the provance. This won't tell you where you might encounter snares or traps and it won't tell you anything about where resident trappers are active. But it might allow you to find out who traps where you hike most often and you might be able to contact that trapper for advice on how to avoid his sets.
And maybe, just maybe you will win a friend in the process.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Hi Diana

I am glad you asked.
I am a trapper, and I have been since I was oldd enough to walk.
Most snares that you might encounter are simple holding devices which the majority of domestic dogs will not fight and thus will not be harmed, as others have said.

I have never caught a dog, but a good friend did. In fact he caught his own dog. It was a couple of days before he found it, caught in one of his snares, patiantly waiting to be set free.

Also, as others have said, there is a snare called a Ram Power snare that is a killing device. I have no experiance with them so can't offer any advice.
I'm old school.

Most traps you might encounter are also not a serious threat to your dogs.
They might pinch his toes or cause a bit of brusing but the won't kill him.
Conibear traps are sometimes set where a dog could enter one.
They are killing devices and if properly set will kill in seconds. But the chances of encountering one is remote. They are hard to set, and of limitied use for larger, dog sized animals.

What has been said about releasing your dog from a snare is mostly correct.
Cable cutters, not wire cutters, if you have to cut the wire.
In most cases you can release the snare by releaseing the lock.
However, there are a whole host of lock designes out there so to advise you on how to do this would be difficult at best. Fear not, most locks are simple in desigen and carefull observation and thoought to how it might work will usually result in you figuring out how to unlock them without advice.

Best of luck, may you enjoy the great outdoors for many years to come.
may your dogs always be free to run and safe to do so.

PS, you can obtain a map of all registered trap lines in the provance. This won't tell you where you might encounter snares or traps and it won't tell you anything about where resident trappers are active. But it might allow you to find out who traps where you hike most often and you might be able to contact that trapper for advice on how to avoid his sets.
And maybe, just maybe you will win a friend in the process.
I agree with everything you say except about connis. Anywhere you have wolverine you have connies and a wolverine set will catch a dog any day of the week. Heck Ive caught martin, lynx and even a squirrell as by catch in a wolverine set and if a dog was around I am sure i would have caught him. Not that it really applies here as far as dogs are concerned but most marting traps are connies as are almost all beaver, otter, and muskrat sets. I have even heard of a few guys making lynx sets with connies however I prefer padded leghold for this. So I would almost say that if you do encounter a trap it will probably be a conni as leg holds are quickly being phased out (and righfully so as they are just frickin mean unless they are padded or in a drowning set) hence my advice on the rope trick.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:13 AM
Banned

Keg sorry to be picky but im really bored
Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Thanks again for the advice. My dogs stay on the trails with me at all times. They are not dogs that use their noses to find things thankfully. I am glad to know about all the information you have provided me. Again I mention my dogs are not the typical city dogs that run all over and roam with their owner.

I also have decided to stay on the Rockyview MD side of things in my area, where trap lines are not set. May as well play it safe rather then hit K country and risk anything. With all the snow out here, I would rather stay on well packed trails, rather then plow through waist deep snow.

I do understand what you guys do, although I feel sorry for the animals... but you were around long before me, and trappers started building this country. I moved out here so I would not have to experience changes and listen to all the things people whine about in the city. The last thing I am going to do is complain about something that has always been here.

This is the greatest place to live, because it is pretty untouched in many areas. I can go out hiking all day and never see a soul... I now know you guys are out there, and will be more mindful. It scared me half to death when I first heard about the trap lines, but life is normal as it always was. I just learned something new. Better to be out there with nature and be prepared for such things then be ignorant.

Thanks again for the endless advise, it is really appreciated.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
I agree with everything you say except about connis. Anywhere you have wolverine you have connies and a wolverine set will catch a dog any day of the week. Heck Ive caught martin, lynx and even a squirrell as by catch in a wolverine set and if a dog was around I am sure i would have caught him. Not that it really applies here as far as dogs are concerned but most marting traps are connies as are almost all beaver, otter, and muskrat sets. I have even heard of a few guys making lynx sets with connies however I prefer padded leghold for this. So I would almost say that if you do encounter a trap it will probably be a conni as leg holds are quickly being phased out (and righfully so as they are just frickin mean unless they are padded or in a drowning set) hence my advice on the rope trick.
Yes, and when I agreed that conni's are sometimes used where they could be a threat to a dog, it was Wolverine that I had in mind.
And yes I have heard of some trying conni's for Lynx, Coyote, even bear.
But such sets are not common as far as I can tell.
And I think you will find that it is illegal to place such sets where there is a possibility of injuring a pet.

Did you notice my profile picture? It is of me, holding a Wolverine that I caught in a conni. The sets I use and the set that took that Wolverine would no no threat whatsoever to a dog.
I used a 220 on a running pole suspended five feet off the ground. It is one of my favorite sets.
I have also taken a lot of Lynx over the years. Those sets are also not likely to take a dog. #1 because I use snares to take Lynx, A snare set in a cubby, with no bait, only a small scent stick. The scent I use does not appeal to dogs, plus the Lynx snares I use aren't strong enough to hold a dog.

Point is, it is not necessary to use sets that are a threat to people pets.
I know some people do, I choose not to.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Banned

Default humane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Eldon View Post
The only sure way to save a larger dog caught in a properly designed and set wolf snare would be to use cable cutting pliers quickly, as mentioned by Bushmaster. Good snare cable is very hard to cut with ordinary pliers or a Leatherman. If the dog has pulled hard enough on the snare, it will begin choking immediately and the dog will be dead in a minut or two. That's why these snares are considered humane!
Most Crown land outside of Provincial and Federal Parks is covered by traplines and hiking trails have little to do with it. Think multiple use.
Who considers these snares humane? I thought they still hadn't been tested.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven65lunatic View Post
Ugg an almost 3 yr old thread gets dug up. That dog is plenty dead already no need to beat it more.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Banned

Default humane snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Ugg an almost 3 yr old thread gets dug up. That dog is plenty dead already no need to beat it more.
- help me out, what do I search to find the thread you refer to.... you don't mean this one?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
do i have this feeling you are digging for something??
You into trapping?

Last edited by jim summit; 11-07-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
- help me out, what do I search to find the thread you refer to.... you don't mean this one?
Prior to your post the last post in this thread was done January 10, 2011. So yes I mean this thread.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:24 PM

oops. old thread.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

Default snares humane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
do i have this feeling you are digging for something??
You into trapping?
Trapped on and off forever and yes, I was asking [digging] if snares had been tested yet because the last I heard they hadn't. This thread is old but I didn't see it as addressing the humane issue and still don't. Many traps are certified but as far as I have heard snares are not. Does anyone know?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Trapped on and off forever and yes, I was asking [digging] if snares had been tested yet because the last I heard they hadn't. This thread is old but I didn't see it as addressing the humane issue and still don't. Many traps are certified but as far as I have heard snares are not. Does anyone know?
A properly set snare is the next best thing for humane kills next to a conibear or drowning set. If you cant breathe you aint livin long right?
Closed Thread